• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Considering MS State Bachelor of Science in Geosciences Concentration in Broadcast and Operational Meteorology Program

Chase Boyer

Enthusiast
I am strongly considering pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Geosciences Concentration in Broadcast and Operational Meteorology from the Mississippi State online campus. Bachelor of Science in Geosciences Concentration in Broadcast and Operational Meteorology | Mississippi State Online

I have a solid full time career right now working as a photojournalist in a top 5 television market, so an in person college program is not really on the table for me right now.

My end goal is to use my degree to hopefully end up back in OKC eventually, where I also worked as photojournalist previously, still shooting news but using my degree to get my foot further in the door with the chasing side of things and hopefully being able to do some stuff in the weather department or something. And/or do some other things on the side or full time more towards the operational side of things.

I noticed the program appears to have a few courses that aren’t available through the online campus, particularly: GR 4713 - Synoptic Meteorology I*, GR 4913 - Thermodynamic Meteorology* and GR 4923 - Severe Weather* in the 2nd and 3rd years.

My question is, how difficult is it to transfer from somewhere like Mississippi State to OU or Texas A&M as a meteorology major after I knock out a large chunk of my degree online? What’s the best way to find out what courses would transfer and what possibly wouldn’t? BTW, I say OU or A&M are my choices because they are the closest to home for me and everyone I talked to in the OKC market when I worked there said those who graduate from those two schools tend to have the highest chance of being hired in that market.

Also, for anyone else who has done their degree online or done a hybrid like I am considering, are there any significant cons to it as opposed to just going all in and doing it in person? Obviously, there’s the experience of in person, but like I said, quitting my job and moving to Norman or College Station really isn’t in the cards for me right now, especially since I’m about to turn 26. So online is my best option right now.

Also, how hard is the mathematics stuff for a meteorology degree? It sure wasn’t my strongest subject in grade school, but I also didn’t really care a whole lot and didn’t really apply myself back then. Mathematical courses such as calculus are intimidating to me, but Algebra was actually the main math course I was best at in high school. I’ve heard calculus isn’t much different..

Back