I JUST HAVE TO!

Originally posted by Billy Griffin

I can remember watching some of his videos in the late 80s and early 90s thinking this is amazing! :shock: It was disappointing to learn that so many of his photos are \"doctored\" and so many stories \"fish tales.\"

No need to be disappointed - Warren has a journalism background. In his defense, I have heard him explain personally (at a speech in Flagstaff) that he does distinguish/make it clear his photojournalistic works vs. his creative works.

All I can remark about are two instances I have personally seen. He photographed what is real in "Lightning vs. the Tank Farm", one of his most famous shots (was this a two page spread in Natl Geo? They will not take anything fake I know). I know the exact location of that particular tank farm in Tucson, Arizona near the AFB. I live only two hours away and I chase in Tucson pretty often and photograph Spanish missions there, so I know that photo is the real deal.

One of his written stories I read years ago regards a town where a large twister struck on a graduation day - one of his first chases in the Plains. The town is called Saragosa, TX (I hope I spelled that right). In 1998 my own forecast called for that area and I happened to drive through that town while chasing this big cell all over the Permian Basin - it just kept eluding me. I did notice that the tornado damage in Saragosa (Zaragosa?), done a few years earlier, ranked about what Warren had written about, some rebuilding taken into consideration.

Based on what I have personally seen, I'd have to side with Warren on the authenticity of his work - and that he will label whether a work is photojournalism or a creative piece. He explained that very topic to one person in Flagstaff.

I have to agree with some of the other posters. I think it is really low for any of us to question Warren's images or background -- based on what some idiot wrote in a book or on rumors posted in unmoderated news groups. Many commercial stock shooters make digital effects for commercial jobs. There is nothing wrong with that. My wife and I, like many other ST members are amateur photographers and have admired Mr. Faidley's work over the years. I am not aware of any altered image he has ever purposely posed as real -- although I think I remember someone stealing images off his site and using them. I have visited his WeatherStock site many times and the "special effects" are clearly marked as such and have editorial warnings. Nor am I aware of any method (besides a million dollar editing machine) that alters video footage, so that claim is outright silly. Besides, we would know alterations from our own shots of the same storms. I think this all goes back to his success and the few people who are still hell bent on trying to kill the guy. I’m not surprised he’s had to go after a few people who statred those types of harmful rumors. Good for him. What if someone walked into your office or school and made false claims against you? How would you feel? What if it destroyed your career? If someone is stupid enough to post or publish such rubbish they deserve what they get. I’ve also looked over his biographical data and I don’t see anything there that cannot be substantiated. In fact, I’ve noticed he’s added links to support himself since the book made those false claims, for example, about his work for Twister. I think we need to be very careful when we make or suggest claims against anyone. It’s not worth destroying a man's career even if you may not like him personally.

Mike and Christina

I still can't believe that this thread is still running. Billy Griffin, since you started this.....I've got a question for you: If you've never met Warren Faidley....why is it that you are so convinced that "so many of his photos and stories are faked"?? Who or what swayed you to buy so deeply into the negativity...rather than go with a more optimistic viewpoint of him?
The day may come when I'll get a chance to meet you...after some chase somewhere. And if I do....I'll grab Warren and introduce you to him, as often we caravan chase together. I think you'll have a different opinion of him if you get the chance to know him.

I still can't believe that this thread is still running. Billy Griffin, since you started this.....I've got a question for you: If you've never met Warren Faidley....why is it that you are so convinced that "so many of his photos and stories are faked"?? Who or what swayed you to buy so deeply into the negativity...rather than go with a more optimistic viewpoint of him?
The day may come when I'll get a chance to meet you...after some chase somewhere. And if I do....I'll grab Warren and introduce you to him, as often we caravan chase together. I think you'll have a different opinion of him if you get the chance to know him.

Back