How "Hard Core" Are You?

That last one Rob...I just chased with some like a hybrid sinus infection/remnants of bronchitis I had a month ago. Yes it did suck because I had almost no voice. But 3 tornadoes made it worth it!

Labels are stupid and chasers will never stop thinking they're better than others for having a different style. "Hard core chasing" to me means sacrifices and nothing else.

Alright, let's do it :D

1. Problems back at home, wife needs me home, I'm out in Colorado chasing 6/10/10 and the day after. Chase my last supercell and drive overnight back to Minneapolis barely stopping. Drove between two bow echoes and killed many critters, almost hit many deer.
2. Can't count the number of times I've driven from Minneapolis to KS, CO, or OK the morning of. Leave your house at 2am or so, and arrive just in front of the cell of the day. Better hope your forecasting is up to snuff.
3. Doing panos of a shelf in Minnesota and a black fly bites me on the back of the neck. Contract "Black Fly Fever" (rare in the US) and can barely sleep for over a week since it feels like my neck and shoulders are on fire.
4. XM radar stops working after the Mapleton tornado. Get out of the car and see inflow debris cut/ripped the receiver cable in half. Still not really sure how that happened.
5. Hit debris that fell from Langley tornado so have a flat tire and mud in the wheel wells is causing the car to thump along. Fix-a-flat spray at a gas station, then laying in a puddle for 10 minutes clawing out mud with my bare hands so we can keep chasing. Some fingers were literally bleeding from this.
6. Weddings? Mom's birthday? Mother's day? Wife's birthday? Missed them all at least once.
7. I'm prone to sinus infections, and this last setup is the first time I've ever decided not to chase because of one. I'm not really hardcore any more, but damn does chasing with a sinus infection suck.

Now that's hardcore!!!

I think 'hardcore' is more of a state of mind/intent rather than what actually gets carried out in the form of chasing. Many of us would be into chasing more if our finances/life allowed it, and would chase all the time if we were funded enough. There are some whose life circumstances and finances don't allow for anything more than one or two chases a year, or even none at all. What that person *would* do if given the ability is what makes their level of dedication, at least to me. "Less hardcore" would be the person who has the resources and ability to chase more, but doesn't by their own choice. There is no shame in that, by the way - it's a free choice one simply makes in life. There are many other activities I'd count myself as a "casual hobbyist" in and would not be in the "hardcore" class. There may come a day when I become less hardcore in chasing, that is, choosing to not do as much of it just because I don't feel like it. I'd hope that never happens, but one never knows.

A person who is "hardcore" though, does things to make it happen. I’m not as hardcore as some, especially when it comes to long drives… but one way I sacrifice is I never eat out or buy high priced food. I think some people like eating more than chasing. I don’t go to the movies or buy myself anything really that is not necessary, except toilet paper, ha!... Most things I have of any value are what I bought before I started. They are old now and with few exceptions, I’ll have them till I die. I take food with me on trips and sleep in my truck. My old truck with 253K miles is well maintained and ready to go. Worked plenty of 14 hour days cutting grass in 100 degree heat and worked a lot of Saturdays. Some people though, have real situations they have no control over…. And I can see having a family would mean less chasing because there would be more unexpected costs and you need to pick what is important. But people say they don’t have the money….Do they only have one job?... and they aren’t looking for another?! They spend twice as much on meaningless stuff as I do! A person can survive just fine on spinach from walmart….. just keeping it real. If A person wants to do something, they will find a way to finance it, or they’ll spend all their time trying to find a way to finance it, whether that means working more or sacrificing more. And I should say I’m not encouraging this, just saying anything is possible if a person is committed to something.

Exactly - in my mind, if you have the intent to be 'hardcore' (maybe a better word would be passionate or dedicated), you'll find a way to make it happen - but only IF your life, health, finances, responsibilities etc allow for that. I do think there are many out there who have circumstances out of their control that just don't allow for any type of real 'dedicated' chasing activity, despite them having a genuine, deep desire to be out there. Some have health problems, some family obligations, budget limitations, etc. Those things could easily happen to any one of us to take us "out of the game" for one time, one season or for good - and if it did, it wouldn't diminish the level of dedication we have deep down. At least that's how I see it.

At the end of the day, though, being 'hardcore' or not about chasing doesn't mean a thing aside from maybe refining one's experience level. The more you chase and forecast, the better you'll get at it and will reap those benefits with each passing year. But if someone wants to take a 2-week chase vacation and spend it shooting wildflowers or birds instead of going after every 2% risk day, more power to them!

I did 17hrs/1,023 miles straight Sunday and was at work Monday morning. Not as "hard core" as some of my older adventures, but being in a relationship for six years now, I have another person to consider. These days I love doing the 2-3-4 day mini trips with motel stays at the end of each day. But if I have the opportunity and the setup is right, I'll go for it. I can't say I know what it's like chasing with a sinus infection, but I can tell you that chasing in a rental is constant stress (even insured) because of hail and all the other things that can happen to you out there on the road (had a huge piece of blown truck tire fly out from under the car directly in front of us and I nailed it. Fortunately no cosmetic damage).

I don't really consider myself at all "hardcore". I don't tell family and friends not to bother inviting me to events between March and July. I generally will skip out on chasing for someone's birthday, anniversary, or other visit. Chasing is just a hobby for me, not a way of life. The worst I've ever done was leaving Ames at 6 AM for Pratt, KS and having no storms form in my target area. Got home between 1 and 2 AM after 1000 miles of driving.

I've driven through one night chased the next day then driven through the next night and got to work that morning.

Back