How can we make Stormtrack better for 2011?

Yeah it all comes down to someone's opinion. We will never all agree on a rule or if it needs to be changed but that does not mean we should not discuss it. Tightning the rules would only scare more people off in my opinion.

This might be the educator coming out in me, but it's been my experience that little good ever comes out of running a looser ship, at least as far as professionalism on the boards is concerned, especially as it relates to the Target Area and not wanting flame wars due to snarks, insults and/or ad hominem attacks.

This might be the educator coming out in me, but it's been my experience that little good ever comes out of running a looser ship, at least as far as professionalism on the boards is concerned, especially as it relates to the Target Area and not wanting flame wars due to snarks, insults and/or ad hominem attacks.

I will have to admit that if the rules are relaxed too much it will be a free for all. You do not want it too be too strict though either. It is hard to get the perfect balance then. I guess what I am saying is I belive the rules are fine the way they are now.

I should add, one thing I'd particularly value is hearing with greater frequency from some of the old-school veterans, researchers, and founding fathers. Skip's assessment of the revolving-door aspect of people who learn the ropes through ST, make increasingly significant contributions, but then eventually move on is spot-on. For some, the discussions may simply no longer be meaty enough to interest them. Others may have just chosen to quietly withdraw, to enjoy chasing with their own circle of friends on their own terms, unattached to the popular phenomenon that storm chasing has become.

But these people have things to offer that can both keep us in touch with the roots of storm chasing and help us all grow. Whatever needs to be done to cultivate more frequent contributions, or at least periodic ones, from the early, formative voices in chasing, please do it if it's at all feasible. I don't care to hear them opine on the B&G, and I seriously doubt that would interest them in the least. But I would dearly love to hear them lean in on the core interests of severe weather.

Tim, that includes you. I'd really like to hear more from you. You have so much to offer as an educator and forecasting professional.

I should add, one thing I'd particularly value is hearing with greater frequency from some of the old-school veterans, researchers, and founding fathers. Skip's assessment of the revolving-door aspect of people who learn the ropes through ST, make increasingly significant contributions, but then eventually move on is spot-on. For some, the discussions may simply no longer be meaty enough to interest them. Others may have just chosen to quietly withdraw, to enjoy chasing with their own circle of friends on their own terms, unattached to the popular phenomenon that storm chasing has become.

But these people have things to offer that can both keep us in touch with the roots of storm chasing and help us all grow. Whatever needs to be done to cultivate more frequent contributions, or at least periodic ones, from the early, formative voices in chasing, please do it if it's at all feasible. I don't care to hear them opine on the B&G, and I seriously doubt that would interest them in the least. But I would dearly love to hear them lean in on the core interests of severe weather.

Tim, that includes you. I'd really like to hear more from you. You have so much to offer as an educator and forecasting professional.

Have to agree with you there since I get bored of things quickly myself. For example the viedo games I used to always play I no longer are interested in. For some people ST may be same way since nothing new seems to be going on.

Have to agree with you there since I get bored of things quickly myself. For example the viedo games I used to always play I no longer are interested in. For some people ST may be same way since nothing new seems to be going on.

Chance it is nice that you are agreeing with people but it seems like you are just repeating the previous posters point with your words a few times on this thread. Please let us get back on topic with suggestions and if you want to continue talking about your thoughts on rules in general or other (semi) off topic items you can go start a new thread in the B&G.

This may have nothing to do wth the weather but what about an area for space weather or volcanoes. In some ways they do affect the weather after all.

Chance - do you honestly think adding a Space Weather / Volcano section would fit in with the ST philosophy?

I do since solar activity is belived to affect the weather and volcanoes in the past have changed the Earth's climate. Yes it is a bit of a stretch but it may also affect sevee weather as well.

I do since solar activity is belived to affect the weather and volcanoes in the past have changed the Earth's climate. Yes it is a bit of a stretch but it may also affect sevee weather as well.

The rarity of these events paired with the fact they are not meteorological events really kills the need to have sub forums devoted solely to them. They are also a very rarely talked about event and so their place in the B&G is justified. It is important to remember that this is a storm chasing forum and not a general weather or disaster forum. Volcanoes and space weather does not routinely effect chasing in any way that would warrant giving them their own sections.

Chance, perhaps some clarification on our objective here would be best:

"Stormtrack's primary objective is to provide a venue for quality storm chasing discussion. We aggressively enforce all rules to maximize the density of original, useful weather discussion on our forum."

This thread is about how to make Stormtrack better, operating within the confines of its intended function and purpose.

The rarity of these events paired with the fact they are not meteorological events really kills the need to have sub forums devoted solely to them. They are also a very rarely talked about event and so their place in the B&G is justified. It is important to remember that this is a storm chasing forum and not a general weather or disaster forum. Volcanoes and space weather does not routinely effect chasing in any way that would warrant giving them their own sections.

That is true.Thinking of the big picture and not just the small area of storm chasing. Was worth a shot though.

MOD NOTE:
Alright guys, back to your corners. This conversation about Chance and if he is off topic ends now and will be dealt with by the moderators. Everyone stay cool or infractions WILL be handed out.

Go back to the primary topic of this thread immedeintly or prepare to receive an infraction.

Consider this a final warning for any and all future off topic posts in here.

A couple thoughts on improving the site and increasing revenue and improving posting quality, which have been mentioned in other posts in this thread...
1. I like the linking of Facebook idea, however I'm concerned about Facebook's privacy issues, and whether those might be a concern to those on ST who aren't on Facebook (I'm just thinking this based on recent news stories about Facebook's privacy issues with it's members...I personally don't post on FB anymore at all because of this)
2 & 3. To help those who are newer to chasing and want to learn, how about the experienced chasers here working with Tim to develop some online "Chasing 101" tutorials that cover the basics (material can be culled from the various threads discussing the basics that are scattered about in different threads and centralized into a guided, organized, easy to follow format, with quizzes afterwards to demonstrate competency on each topic). These could be used as an easy way to increase revenue by charging a nominal fee for each course (say, $5.00). That way, newbies could either pay the fee and get the info spoon-fed to them, or, just do it the old fashioned way and search/read on their own.
...and maybe if this idea specifically isn't viable...maybe offering some in-person 'chasing 101' courses at the Chasercon, for example, might be another way to do it.

At Accuweather, we have created FB fan pages dedicated towards various mets. Recently, the management decided to implement the forum rules and guidelines into the Facebook pages. Wasn't long ago that we had to remove a few people from said fan pages because they were violating the said agreements that went into effect.

ST has such an obvious "niche" that the need for extra sub-forums will only cause a headache for the moderators. I truly believe that the weather sub-forum handles all the different types of chasing perfectly.

I personally would like to see an app for ST. I have an app for the XDA forum and it kicks arse.

Back