How can we make Stormtrack better for 2011?

Yes...real names should continue. I still would like to see full first and last names, changed only when duplicates occur (the Steve Miller situation).

I guess I have been back and forth with the photo section idea. I see B&G threads as enough, but I see it seems that it is a growing desire for a separate section.

The problem with B&G is that the threads can go off topic since they really don't have to follow any guidelines. For example look at how the thread about the photos of Obama and you will see a thread that started out about photography and quickly spiraled into a political debate. If there was a photography section on the site then that would not have happened. Photography and videography is a HUGE part of storm chasing and as such I feel it deserves its own section on the site.

We should also just make it a rule that you must change your legal name if it is already taken on ST. :D:D:D:D

The problem with B&G is that the threads can go off topic since they really don't have to follow any guidelines. For example look at how the thread about the photos of Obama and you will see a thread that started out about photography and quickly spiraled into a political debate. If there was a photography section on the site then that would not have happened. Photography and videography is a HUGE part of storm chasing and as such I feel it deserves its own section on the site.

We should also just make it a rule that you must change your legal name if it is already taken on ST. :D:D:D:D

I thought that is what Bar and Grill was all about. No real topic and anything in reason can be talked about. I think alot of people do get in trouble on Strom Track and the main reason is the Bar and Grill area. As long as I do not have to pay to still be a member on here I am ok wih it. If I did have to pay to be a member I would leave like so many others have done in the past.

Chance, your ST experience probably wouldn't change, you would just have a banner ad and smaller inbox, etc if it were done like other boards. Nothing would be different for you than it is now. No one ever suggested you would HAVE to pay to be a member. Please read these posts before you comment. This is an important thread.

Well then I havce no major complaints then. My only wish is sometihng I know will never happen and that is to lossen up the rules a bit. I have actually walked away from ST after I got a few infractions for posting in the wrong area. Just a honest mistake I am sure a lot of people have mad on here espically when thy are new to the site.

I like Steve's idea of an annual supporter's donation to Stormtrack--not a mandatory membership fee, but something that would allow those of us who value this forum to contribute financially to its further development without breaking any of our pocketbooks.

I'm fine with the TOC as they are, and I like that some of them have recently been clarified. If I've had any complaint with them in the past, it has involved what has seemed to me to be an inconsistency in enforcing them that has set up both members and ST staff for unnecessary arguing when violations are dealt with. It should be as simple as, "The rules are the rules."

The B&G seems to me an important place for those who wish to do so to air their opinions in a less strict environment. Since there's presently no stricture there on discussing religion or politics, I see no reason to create a separate section for them. Frankly, I don't find the idea particularly appealing. Those topics tend to arise organically out of other discussions, just as they do in a real bar. The big thing with the B&G is, it's an important balance that enhances the proper focus in weather-related categories while providing an outlet for the broader needs of a diverse community.

Re comparing Stormtrack with FB, it's comparing apples with oranges. I enjoy hooking up with fellow chasers on Facebook, but nothing there can substitute for the lengthier, in-depth forecast discussions and learning tools that are available on Stormtrack. As long as the quality of Stormtrack's core values--trading forecasting insights, knowledge, and valuable personal experiences--maintains high standards, it will fill a unique role, not to mention uphold a treasured legacy.

Finally, for what it's worth, if some kind of print supplement ever emerges, as Jason has suggested, I'll be happy to assist with editing it.

I thought that is what Bar and Grill was all about. No real topic and anything in reason can be talked about. I think alot of people do get in trouble on Strom Track and the main reason is the Bar and Grill area. As long as I do not have to pay to still be a member on here I am ok wih it. If I did have to pay to be a member I would leave like so many others have done in the past.

Chance that is what it is about which makes it hard to have an on topic only conversation about anything which is the point I was making.

So far no one has walked away from Stormtrack because they had to pay for it so I don't know who you are referring to. A free member would have some limited access but you must understand that the site is expensive to run. Right now operating costs are barely met and shortly after you joined ST did become a paid site. The current system in place is that you have to pay a one time fee to become a member. For ST to get any new features out side of the basic forum there will have to be some sort of revenue in place to cover it, that is an unavoidable fact.

Well then I havce no major complaints then. My only wish is sometihng I know will never happen and that is to lossen up the rules a bit. I have actually walked away from ST after I got a few infractions for posting in the wrong area. Just a honest mistake I am sure a lot of people have mad on here espically when thy are new to the site.

Looking at your infraction history I do not see that you ever got an infraction for posting in the wrong area so I am not sure what you are referring to here. The rules concerning personal attacks, the Target Area, and publicly discussing moderator actions are in place to prevent drama, reduce noise, and promote professional discussions. If there is something about the rules you do not understand then please ask us.

Re comparing Stormtrack with FB, it's comparing apples with oranges. I enjoy hooking up with fellow chasers on Facebook, but nothing there can substitute for the lengthier, in-depth forecast discussions and learning tools that are available on Stormtrack. As long as the quality of Stormtrack's core values--trading forecasting insights, knowledge, and valuable personal experiences--maintains high standards, it will fill a unique role, not to mention uphold a treasured legacy.

The only reason I mentioned Facebook was because it is not anonymous and if you are going to post something in a semi public environment that may get you in trouble it would be wise to bite your tongue. I agree that beyond that the two are not the same.

Chance that is what it is about which makes it hard to have an on topic only conversation about anything which is the point I was making.

So far no one has walked away from Stormtrack because they had to pay for it so I don't know who you are referring to. A free member would have some limited access but you must understand that the site is expensive to run. Right now operating costs are barely met and shortly after you joined ST did become a paid site. The current system in place is that you have to pay a one time fee to become a member. For ST to get any new features out side of the basic forum there will have to be some sort of revenue in place to cover it, that is an unavoidable fact.

Looking at your infraction history I do not see that you ever got an infraction for posting in the wrong area so I am not sure what you are referring to here. The rules concerning personal attacks, the Target Area, and publicly discussing moderator actions are in place to prevent drama, reduce noise, and promote professional discussions. If there is something about the rules you do not understand then please ask us.

I know they are walking away for other reasons. I can see one of my infractorins being a big mistake the one on personal attacks. The other ones on Target area rules will not be a issue since I will not post there anymore. Still it seems like infractions are easy to get if you aren't careful.

Also, what happened to the redesigning of the Stormtrack logo? There was lots of discussion about it last year, but nothing ever came of it.

I made this suggestion as well and there was no push back from Tim, so look for this to be revived in the near future. I thought a lot of work and effort was put into this by the users and it went by the wayside. I volunteered to spearhead the effort so stay tuned as this will definitely be revisited shortly.

I know they are walking away for other reasons. I can see one of my infractorins being a big mistake the one on personal attacks. The other ones on Target area rules will not be a issue since I will not post there anymore. Still it seems like infractions are easy to get if you aren't careful.

That is why it is important to read the rules before you post. There are sticky threads at the top of each room that state you must read them first before posting. You are welcome to post where ever you like but you must follow the rules. It is as easy to get an infraction on here as it is to be pulled over for speeding. If you don't take the time to acknowledge the speed limit signs and drive to fast you will be pulled over.

That is why it is important to read the rules before you post. There are sticky threads at the top of each room that state you must read them first before posting. You are welcome to post where ever you like but you must follow the rules. It is as easy to get an infraction on here as it is to be pulled over for speeding. If you don't take the time to acknowledge the speed limit signs and drive to fast you will be pulled over.

That is one way to look at it. I have always been one to question rules I either do not understand or I don't agree with. Most often I do not agree with them but I understand why they are in place.

I'm fine with the TOC as they are, and I like that some of them have recently been clarified. If I've had any complaint with them in the past, it has involved what has seemed to me to be an inconsistency in enforcing them that has set up both members and ST staff for unnecessary arguing when violations are dealt with. It should be as simple as, "The rules are the rules."

This seems to come up every year in one form or another, so I'll attempt to answer it this time. As "black and white" as it might seem, there's a considerable degree of subjectivity in enforcing those rules at times. The staff doesn't even always agree on how such decisions are made.

Yes, some stuff is clearly a violation, but oftentimes a user doesn't see (or claims not to have intended) a personal attack or an insult where a moderator clearly finds one to exist. The same can be said for some other posts, like forecast threads. What constitutes a meteorological forecast discussion is certainly a matter of some subjective opinion, and it often pits us at odds with members who created a post with good intentions, but doesn't make the cut in our opinion.

The need for a human moderator will necessitate the need for some subjectivity in frequent instances where something isn't so cut-and-dried, but I think suggestions are welcome on how the rules could be tightened even further, if need be.

That is one way to look at it. I have always been one to question rules I either do not understand or I don't agree with. Most often I do not agree with them but I understand why they are in place.

Regardless of whether or not you agree with the rules, if you want to participate you must agree to follow them or face the consequences. You made this agreement when you clicked "I agree" to the ToS upon signing up for the site. There are policies on here that even I don't like but I still follow and enforce them because they are there. If it was really a policy that was truly upsetting to me I would simply just leave as it is my choice to stay in an environment where there are rules that I don't agree with or want to follow.

This seems to come up every year in one form or another, so I'll attempt to answer it this time. As "black and white" as it might seem, there's a considerable degree of subjectivity in enforcing those rules at times. The staff doesn't even always agree on how such decisions are made.

Yes, some stuff is clearly a violation, but oftentimes a user doesn't see (or claims not to have intended) a personal attack or an insult where a moderator clearly finds one to exist. The same can be said for some other posts, like forecast threads. What constitutes a meteorological forecast discussion is certainly a matter of some subjective opinion, and it often pits us at odds with members who created a post with good intentions, but doesn't make the cut in our opinion.

The need for a human moderator will necessitate the need for some subjectivity in frequent instances where something isn't so cut-and-dried, but I think suggestions are welcome on how the rules could be tightened even further, if need be.

Yeah it all comes down to someone's opinion. We will never all agree on a rule or if it needs to be changed but that does not mean we should not discuss it. Tightning the rules would only scare more people off in my opinion.

Back