Hotel room sharing question

Dan Robinson

A little 'hotel courtesy' question here. I've always been of the understanding that a hotel room with two double beds was intended to be for two to four people for the double occupancy rate (2 double beds=capacity for four people). This has been the case with every hotel I have stayed in with more than 2 people. Rollaway beds and/or extra blankets (for the floor) were always available for the situation where four people shared a room, for no extra charge.

So is this right, or should we be paying more for a 4 person shared room when 2 people are sleeping on the floor?

some hotels will charge an additional fee if more than 2 adults stay in the room, and some also have an occupancy tax of like 4 bucks that gets tacked on...

what chain is it...

I know more some types of hotels charge extra fees for extra people in a room.
Dr. Eric Flescher ([email protected]), Olathe, KS:913-780-5902: (mobile) 913-486-1274: Storm Satori- http://members.aol.com/kcstormguy/stormsat...tormsatori.htm: E.O.A.S. (Earth, Oceans, Atmosphere and Space Blog) -http://www.xanga.com/dreric1kansas

A little 'hotel courtesy' question here. I've always been of the understanding that a hotel room with two double beds was intended to be for two to four people for the double occupancy rate (2 double beds=capacity for four people). This has been the case with every hotel I have stayed in with more than 2 people. Rollaway beds and/or extra blankets (for the floor) were always available for the situation where four people shared a room, for no extra charge.

So is this right, or should we be paying more for a 4 person shared room when 2 people are sleeping on the floor?
[/b]

Hotels are rather flexible in terms of what they charge. I tend to look up rates online often in the parking lot before I ask at the desk. I have had Days Inn's quote my girlfriend one rate. I then looked it up online because it seemed high. Online rates were higher so I walk in to book a room and they quote me a higher rate than they quoted her. Arghhh it is infuriating.

Not only that but each hotel regularly calls other area hotels and asks if rooms are available and at what cost. They then use this information to set their own rates. This explains why exit #42 has 5 hotels all within 4 dollars of each other. Driving around for a better rate is frequently not productive. Calling can be better.

Best solution that I have found is actually those coupon books from rest areas.

As for the extra fees for extra folks. I am sure that the desk person has some flexibility in pricing and enforcement. Of course you can sneak if you are not opposed to sneaking. I am not so much opposed to sneaking but I just hate feeling like I have to hide and I am usually to tired to bother.

It really costs them very little more for the extra folks. Let your conscience be your guide. Or you can be straight up with them and say " I have four folks with me but can you give me the one or two person rate for that room".

Hard negotiations like offering $50 on a $70 room and starting to walk away until they say yes has worked for me once. More often I end up walking out and staying at a nearby hotel that is not surprisingly priced identically to the one I just left. Some folks are good at negotiating. I am not so good.

I like Motel 6 because the price is posted on the sign or in the directory. I keep a motel 6 directory in my storm chasing box.

--
Tom Hanlon

I don't like fudging the numbers when I get a room, that is, I tell them how many we have up front. IMO the 2 people sleeping on the floor should not have to pay much if anything for the room. They take a shower in the morning and that's the only resource they use. I mean, they're sleeping on the floor. Never had any trouble with this arrangement until the other night. Hotel desk clerk wasn't going to let us do it and was saying we would have to get another room. I told her we'd have to go elsewhere (not so much to be pushy, but paying for another room was out of the question). After that she conceded. Just wondering if my past experiences were not the accepted norm, because this was new to me.

Back