HD television and chaser video

Man I'm not sure whether to get an LCD or a plasma. I keep bouncing back and forth. I also want to get a PS3, so I'm a bit tentative about getting the plasma due to burn-in. On the other hand the plasmas seem to have a bit better image quality. Particularly the black is "blacker" and the colors are a bit more vibrant on the plasmas. The LCDs have made some progress though, and are darn near as good as the plasmas as far as the image quality. I'll be upgrading my Dish Network to the Dish HD so I'm not as concerned with TV channel quality.

On the other hand the plasmas seem to have a bit better image quality. Particularly the black is "blacker" and the colors are a bit more vibrant on the plasmas. The LCDs have made some progress though, and are darn near as good as the plasmas as far as the image quality.

Hi Joel, I have both a plasma and an LCD. After about two years, I don't see an incredible difference between the plasma and LCD. The plasma does suffer from burn-in but it's only permanent if you leave something on in the first several days. Honestly, the Sharp Aquos LCD has better contrast, it's much lighter, and I don't have to treat it like an armed bomb moving it around. So, I would vote for LCD over plasma right now, having tried both.

Sure you want a PS3 and not a 360? :p

If I had it to do over again I'd probably go PS3 instead of 360 just to have a blu-ray player. That darn Halo 3 though.

Hi Joel, I have both a plasma and an LCD. After about two years, I don't see an incredible difference between the plasma and LCD. The plasma does suffer from burn-in but it's only permanent if you leave something on in the first several days. Honestly, the Sharp Aquos LCD has better contrast, it's much lighter, and I don't have to treat it like an armed bomb moving it around. So, I would vote for LCD over plasma right now, having tried both.

Sure you want a PS3 and not a 360? :p

Haha, yeah I think I'm getting the PS3. I've had a few friends have some issues with their 360, so I'm kind of shying away from it. One of them had to send it in twice to get fixed. As far as I know the PS3 is pretty reliable. Both are great systems however.

I think I may get the LCD, mainly because they're lighter, run cooler, and have a much less chance of burn-in. As long as I get a 1080p I think the quality should be good enough for me.

My chasing buddy plans on getting an HD digital camera before chase season, so I can't wait to see some of the vids on a new TV.

LCD, Plasma, solutions and more problems

OK, well it seems there's ways around the pixelation of the standard definition signals. I wasn't too worried about TV/cable signals, I've got comcast, and will upgrade to the digital service once the LCD is purchased.

I will be going LCD because the latest TVs coming out have solved black and burn in problems. LCD do have excellent blacks. Plasmas don't burn it anymore. Basically, what I've learned is that it comes down to the room your putting it in. Dark rooms (with little or no natural light) are best with Plasma. LCD are for bright rooms (like my living room, especially in the AM).

I was really worried about the chaser video and such. It'll be along time before HD shots are a majority of the film out there. I wonder what it would take to get chaser video on blu-ray?

And I know there's the HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray battle (older folks might remember the VHS/Beta battle), so I'm not too rushed to get into these thing, but main would chaser footage be bad ass if it were on "The Ray".

I was really worried about the chaser video and such. It'll be along time before HD shots are a majority of the film out there. I wonder what it would take to get chaser video on blu-ray?

And I know there's the HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray battle (older folks might remember the VHS/Beta battle), so I'm not too rushed to get into these thing, but main would chaser footage be bad ass if it were on "The Ray".

Almost all modern editing programs can handle HD video, and I believe Sony Vegas Pro comes with a Blu-ray disk creator utility. You'd need a Blu-ray burner in your computer obviously, but I suspect it wont be long before chasers start rolling out the HD video. Perhaps even by the end of this year.

As for the whole HD battle, things were pretty even between the formats, but recently one of the huge studios (Warner Bros I think, I'll have to check) swiched over to the Blu-ray camp. It's not looking good for HD-DVD now that Blu-ray has something like 80% of the market.

A fellow chaser of mine has a cannon HD camcorder. We filmed nearly the same thing since he was with me in my vehicle. We went up to the sudent lounge in the National Weather Center and hooked his video into a ~50" plasma in the student lounge and mine into the projector. The difference in quality of his in HD was very distinguishable. I hooked mine into the same plasma TV afterwards to see the difference and it was grainy. If you have an HD TV and no HD camcorder, you are missing out big time.

Back