Ham radio amps

i am pretty sure that just about everyone on here is a ham radio op.i was just wondering if any of you have a amp hooked up to your radio for more output?
i have a Icom IC-2100H with a Radio Shack antenna and was wondering what size amp (should i get one)would work good with these two.it doesn't have to be the best in the world,but living here in E.TX,we have alot of pine trees that block alot of Line/Site range.any suggestions would be helpful.

Carey, I would suggest having a look at your antenna system first. Chances are you can leverage those 50 watts a bit better by upgrading your antenna to a more efficient model. If that's a mag mount you have then you should be aware of the inefficiencies of those (hard mounts are better). A good gain antenna can make a huge difference too.

In some cases adding a power amp can have little impact if your antenna is holding you back at all. If you decide to make the plunge, make sure your antenna can handle the added power. A 100 - 200 watt amp can be picked up for a good price and should be adequate for almost any mobile purpose.

Cheers!

I agree with John, I think 50 watts should be sufficient. If it's not, then you're probably going to be hitting repeaters (or simplex) with your transmissions, but the amp does nothing to increase your ability to receive the signal coming back.

Let us know how it works out if you do get an amp though, I'd be interested in the results.......

Tim
KCØMDC

I agree with the posts here. An amp will most likely enable you to transmit farther than you can hear. This may result in unintended interference to distant repeaters.

Make absolutely sure your antenna system can handle the power, and is solidly grounded to the frame. Many antennas won't handle more than 100-150 watts. Make sure your SWR is as low as possible, or you may get RF all over the vehicle's electrical system. This can kill a car's computer, leaving you dead in the water at the worst possible time.

From what I've heard, stay away from Mirage. They seem to distort your audio. I've heard TE systems isn't bad and RF concepts is rather good.

EDIT: Forgot to proofread

thanks for the info guys.now,if only i can think of a good antenna to get.with so many out there,i will have to go to a hamfest and decide on which one to get.

Originally posted by carey libby
thanks for the info guys.now,if only i can think of a good antenna to get.with so many out there,i will have to go to a hamfest and decide on which one to get.

Yeah, he's right. Only time I ever considered on was when I lived out in Odessa and spotted a lot out in EXTREMELY rural SW TX. Often times I could hear a repeater on the net, but couldn't get in. On the plains I don't think you would really use it THAT much. I have found on full radio power I could hit almost every repeater I could hear under "normal" propagation conditions.

I just got a new Comet SBB7. I love this antenna. The first one I got had a bad coil (seems a few came from the factory that way) but the local shop replaced it and I am getting dang near 1:1 SWR on it now!

David,

How much is a SBB7 ? I need an anttenna that I can through away as I wont be taking it back with me to the UK.

They were running $75-80 for the NMO mount when I got mine. Expect to pay some more for a decent NMO mag mount to stick it to. Definitely not a throw away antenna, but you could always drop in in the mail to me when your done with it. :wink: Really, for the most part, your going to get what you pay for with an antenna. Cheaper antenna, cheaper performance.

The SBB-7 is a dual band 2m/70cm antenna. Have you tried it on another band? I know 6 meter antennas coincide with some wavelengths on 2 meters (5/8 wave on 2 m roughly equals a 1/4 wave on 6) Just curious, it would be cool to know a great antenna works on other bands too!! :D

Mike

The SBB-7 is a dual band 2m/70cm antenna. Have you tried it on another band? I know 6 meter antennas coincide with some wavelengths on 2 meters (5/8 wave on 2 m roughly equals a 1/4 wave on 6) Just curious, it would be cool to know a great antenna works on other bands too!! :D

Mike

LOL Oops! For whatever reason, I get the SBB6-SBB7 mixed up with the SB14-SB15 antennas. I HAD the SB14, and now HAVE the SB15, both of which are 70cm/2m/6m triband antennas. I'm going to delete my previous post given the fact that it does not apply in this situation (regarding the SBB7)... That said, the SB15 IS a very nice antenna! LOL...

David ~ sadly I don’t thin that it will fit in the post. However if I get one I wont just through it away ~ I will give it to the first Ham chaser I see on my last day. But you never know it could be you?? 8)

David ~ sadly I don’t thin that it will fit in the post. However if I get one I wont just through it away ~ I will give it to the first Ham chaser I see on my last day. But you never know it could be you?? 8)

Sure it will! :D I've bought several antennas online and had them shipped to me....see, just disassemble the little sections that come on it with the little allen wrench then include with it. :lol: (Hey a guy can try can't they?)

As for the antenna system a good 5/8 wave antenna would be the best choice. Radio Shack makes an OK antenna but Comet makes a better one. You get what you pay for and the antenna is the most important part of your radio setup.... I have been a ham for over 10 years and ran a communications sales/service store for 5. The #1 thing people neglect is their antenna.

If you do decide to buy an amp, you'll have to watch the imput wattage.. I've dealt with IC-2100H radios but I can't remember what the output on low power is...

you can get a good look at amps at hxxp://www.aesham.com

(not sure if live links are ok at this forum so I've edited my link... they're a rule violation at the forum I moderate)

As for the antenna system a good 5/8 wave antenna would be the best choice. Radio Shack makes an OK antenna but Comet makes a better one. You get what you pay for and the antenna is the most important part of your radio setup.... I have been a ham for over 10 years and ran a communications sales/service store for 5. The #1 thing people neglect is their antenna.

If you do decide to buy an amp, you'll have to watch the imput wattage.. I've dealt with IC-2100H radios but I can't remember what the output on low power is...

you can get a good look at amps at http://www.aesham.com

(not sure if live links are ok at this forum so I've edited my link... they're a rule violation at the forum I moderate)

Live links are cool here. I edited it back in the quote. If I remember, the Icom power levels are 5/15/50....might be wrong. Pretty sure that is what my Icom is.

Josh wrote:If you do decide to buy an amp, you'll have to watch the imput wattage.. I've dealt with IC-2100H radios but I can't remember what the output on low power is...

Josh,this is the specs on my radio
Output power:High 55
(Thailand version: 10 W)
(Taiwan version: 25 W)
Mid 10 W (approx.)
Low 5 W ( approx.)
current drain (at 13.8 V DC) : Max.power less than 12.0 A
spurious emissions :-60 dB

Back