GSM versus CDMA

As an international chaser I have experienced nothing but woes when it comes to getting a data connection over a cell phone in the US. The root problem being that all the US plans are yearly and that you need a US credit card and a US address in order to even sign up for a phone. (how simple it would be if I could just buy a US phone and plan).

For the last two years I have used my UK cell phone and just swallowed the $11.20 /MB cost for data – or course this just means that I make maximum use of free hotel WiFi and any information that I can get from a friendly chaser( of which there are many).

Our UK cell phones (the so call tri band ones) share the GSM1900 frequency with both the UK and the US. However we are now able to get phones that are quad band and also operate on the GSM850 band as well as the CDMA2100 band.

Overall If I get gat data with my UK phone then I will go with that – but the best move for us international chaser is to get a track phone, load it up with $100 credit and phone back to the UK for a now cast – crazy I know.

Back