Great pykl3 replacement for me

ELY M.

EF1
I hope this is okay. since the pykl3's shutdown and death. I decided to write my own radar app but I ended up found wX app and decided to mod it big time and added in so many features found in pykl3/radarscope/other radar apps.

personally, I do not need AH or any other paid services to see outlooks or watches in my modified wX app.

now, it is my favorite radar app to use. I am going to keep it open sourced and everything.
I do have 1 or 2 people who ask me for features. it will take some time.

https://github.com/ELY3M/wX---modded-by-ELY-M

APK releases:
https://github.com/ELY3M/wX---modded-by-ELY-M/releases

due to different signing keys, you have to uninstall your original wX app first, if you have wX installed.

Hi Ely,

What radar source are you using? If it is the public NOAA feed, it WILL overload when severe weather is out and about, resulting in delayed updates, or no updates at all. Something to consider.

Excuse my new-ness .lol. but...
I'm not even sure what a pykl3 or wX is? But kinda guessing by what is said here, it shows radar images like on the TV weather?

I don't get what I'm looking at on the linked site...I see a list of files, but what am I supposed to do with them?
The 'releases' section contains no files?

Hi Ely,

What radar source are you using? If it is the public NOAA feed, it WILL overload when severe weather is out and about, resulting in delayed updates, or no updates at all. Something to consider.

The public feed has done quite well in events so far this year... Are you speaking from recent experience or are you thinking of the issues they've had in the past before the IRIS upgrades?

The public feed has done quite well in events so far this year... Are you speaking from recent experience or are you thinking of the issues they've had in the past before the IRIS upgrades?

Hi Rob,

I was thinking of past events. The April 24, 2010 Yazoo City tornado is what made me decide to get an Allisonhouse account.

My understanding is there is handy access to Level 2 data free in AWS for all to use (and scaleable). I'll attempt to gain more info about this and share. If anyone has insight about it please feel free to chime in.

My understanding is there is handy access to Level 2 data free in AWS for all to use (and scaleable).

I looked at that a year or two ago and the issue (at least then) was data did not come in until a complete volume scan was complete. So it's great for archive but bad for realtime.

Wow tons and tons of data in here. I have to say I'm not crazy about the interface it's very confusing but holy crap all of this data is fantastic! I look forward to seeing where this goes

Sent from my SM-G930V using Stormtrack mobile app

Is it possible to change the default radar/wfo for a location? I live on the western edge of of the coverage area (Wilmington, OH), so I can't see what's coming until it is on top of me. I like to use Indianapolis so that I can see what's coming to my location, long before it gets here. I'd love to switch my default radar/view to Indianapolis if possible.

Excuse my new-ness .lol. but...
I'm not even sure what a pykl3 or wX is? But kinda guessing by what is said here, it shows radar images like on the TV weather?

I don't get what I'm looking at on the linked site...I see a list of files, but what am I supposed to do with them?
The 'releases' section contains no files?

you need android to install my modified wX app.
if you have android, you can get a latest apk from release page.

@ELY M.
I knew it was Android because of 'apk' :) but when I checked your link the first time it showed no files in the 'releases' section (maybe it was just a fluke, because when I tried again last week they were there & I was able to download without issue)

I tried installing on 2 things, one simply gave an err of "error installing app" (no reason as to why)
In the 2nd (using the exact same file), it installed just fine :)
I only looked around briefly I must say, it looks pretty impressive!

Roger,
For Radar, go to settings -> radar and select "Remember location". For WFO, go to settings -> UI and select "WFO - remember location".

The next time you access nexrad via the lightning icon or AFD/local text products via the "i with circle around it", you can switch to your preferred site. When you exit the screen and then go back in later, it will always show you the last site you used.

For the radar on the main screen, go to "settings -> Homescreen" and delete "Radar: Local nexrad radar", then tap the lightning icon and you can add any nexrad site you like. You can then use the arrows to position it. Future versions will make the interface to add/move items less cumbersome. ( Ely's fork may already have this integrated )

Hope that is what you are looking for.

thanks, Josh

Pykl3 still does work.
Go to this page and download the apk.
PYKL3 Radar
You have to delete what ever version you have on your phone then download the apk.
After opening the app go to settings/data providers and choose NWS. Check the box to allow https access, and restart the app.
Using the app right now and everything is current.

Pykl3 still does work.
Go to this page and download the apk.
PYKL3 Radar
You have to delete what ever version you have on your phone then download the apk.
After opening the app go to settings/data providers and choose NWS. Check the box to allow https access, and restart the app.
Using the app right now and everything is current.
If you still have PYKL3 installed, all you have to do is check the https checkbox for the NWS feed, and it works.

sadly, I never have pykl3 working at all even on my new phone.

I have been messing with android on my Nintendo Switch lately.
other day, I installed wX on my android switch and it was working great. I was shocked that it was able to get my GPS.
I was expecting to make another version for Nintendo Switch. so many people are running android on their Nintendo Switches nowdays.

Attachments

• conusradar.jpg
    conusradar.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 0
  • main.jpg
    main.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 0
  • radar.jpg
    radar.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 0
Hey Ely.
Long time user of Wx.
What does your version have that Josh's doesn't.
Reluctant to uninstall since I have it set up just how I want.

I got Pylk3 to work on an older Android tablet, but its slow to load, and somewhat crash-happy.

For the most part when I want to check the weather, I've been using Ely's version of wX. on a different tablet. Its worked nicely for my needs there :) (I originally tried it on the tablet that I ended up putting Pylk3 on, but it gave an error & refused to install)
notes:
I've only used it at home.
There are a ton of different options/views when you look at the sub-menus...I haven't looked at them all.

---------------------
other day, I installed wX on my android switch
Interesting (also cool). I didn't know you you could put Android on a switch.

James,
I'd be curious to see a screenshot of the error you got on install on the other tablet. As a data point I'd be curious to see if you can install my upstream version as well or if it still gives you issues. Hardware model and Android OS version might help troubleshoot:

thanks,
Josh

I got Pylk3 to work on an older Android tablet, but its slow to load, and somewhat crash-happy.

For the most part when I want to check the weather, I've been using Ely's version of wX. on a different tablet. Its worked nicely for my needs there :) (I originally tried it on the tablet that I ended up putting Pylk3 on, but it gave an error & refused to install)
notes:
I've only used it at home.
There are a ton of different options/views when you look at the sub-menus...I haven't looked at them all.

---------------------
Interesting (also cool). I didn't know you you could put Android on a switch.

If you still have PYKL3 installed, all you have to do is check the https checkbox for the NWS feed, and it works.
That didn't work in my case. When I selected the http access box nothing happened.
It wasn't until I uninstalled the original version and installed the apk that I got it to work.
Android with its many phone models and versions can be a developers nightmare.

Dave K. said:
That didn't work in my case. When I selected the http access box nothing happened.
It worked for me, I simply selected the box, then exited the app, then re-ran the app & it worked (but was slow)

Joshua Tee said:
James,
I'd be curious to see a screenshot of the error you got on install on the other tablet. As a data point I'd be curious to see if you can install my upstream version as well or if it still gives you issues. Hardware model and Android OS version might help troubleshoot:
It simply said "Parse error" "There is a problem parsing the package". No errorcodes or anything further. I just tried your version & got the same.
Tablet is an Acer Iconia Tab A200
OS is Android 4.0.3

I'm going to try attaching a pic of the err

--
One other thing I had tried (with the Ely version) is installing on an windows android emulator, out of curiosity to see if it'd go on a computer .. in that case after a few minute delay, I simply got something like "install failed" (message appeared just briefly then disappeared, easy to miss)
. Interesting, just tried your version there, and it installed without issue (same .apk I tried on the tablet)

Attachments

• wX_err.jpg
    wX_err.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 0
It's unfortunate that the android installer does not provide better error messages as the minimum version of Android supported by my program is 4.1. I'm surprised google play even allowed you to attempt install it.

thanks!

Back