Gene Rhoden's "High Instability" internet radio show

High Instability Guest for February 20, 2008...Kevin Kloesel

HIGH INSTABILITY GUEST FOR FEBRUARY 20, 2008...KEVIN KLOESEL, ASSISTANT DEAN, OU SCHOOL OF METEOROLOGY

Gene Rhoden said:
Our guest for the February 20th show will be Dr. Kevin Kloesel. Below is a brief bio:

Kevin-thumb.jpg
Dr. Kevin Kloesel

In 1984, Kevin earned a Bachelor of Engineering Science Degree at the University of Texas - Austin. His 'Eyes of Texas' then went to Penn State University for a Master's (1987) and Ph.D. (1990) in Meteorology.

Kevin began his career in meteorology at Florida State University where he was hired as an Associate Professor. He spent 8 1/2 years as a faculty member with teaching and research interests ranging from boundary layer meteorology to synoptic and tropical meteorology. After receiving tenure, Kevin became Director of the Florida Climate Center. He also served as a Research Fellow with the Cooperative Institute for Tropical Meteorology, and co-directed an outreach project (EXPLORES!) which provides satellite data ingest capabilities to over 200 schools throughout the state of Florida. Kevin also 'moonlights' as an elementary school teacher, teaching an integrated curriculum using weather as the focal point.

Kevin traded hurricanes for tornadoes in January of 1999 when he arrived at OU to become Distance Education Director and NOAA Liaison with OCS. "I thoroughly enjoyed working with the students and teachers in classrooms all over Florida, and look forward to doing the same thing here in Oklahoma."

Kevin has created dozens of web-based modules on weather satellites and satellite imagery interpretation, and welcomes the "What is that?" or "How does that happen?" question from students and teachers alike regarding all aspects of weather. Kevin is also an active mentor in the Kids as Global Scientists program and the GLOBE Project.

On a typical day (after reading the sports section), Kevin will answer a full mailbox of email questions from teachers and students, assess the local weather conditions for storm chase planning, give weather briefings to students, research boundary layer atmospheric processes using Mesonet data, and develop course materials for both classroom and world wide web use. He is also involved in developing distance learning courses, and the training of emergency managers (OK-FIRST) to use weather data effectively. Kevin will be working with NOAA employees in Oklahoma on collaborative research and teaching projects, and is looking forward to being an active participant in developing activities for the EarthStorm Project.

Kevin is a sports addict, bleeds Texas Burnt Orange, and is miserable when the Cowboys lose! "The only thing that's better than a Longhorn victory over the Sooners is watching my family enjoy all the new things the Norman area has to offer. Oh, and going to Dallas on the second Saturday in October!"

The show will air LIVE on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 at 7 pm Central Time (01 UTC Thursday) on highinstability.com. Call TOLL FREE 1-866-400-6684 with your questions and comments during the show.

Each show will be archived and available for podcast the following Sunday night on highinstability.com.

Enjoy a new interactive experience at ShockNetRadio.com! Now, you can WATCH LIVE shows via the new ShockNet StudioCAM! Just click on the ShockNet StudioCAM link, and enjoy! The embedded Windows Media Player on the page makes it easy to watch streaming video from ShockNet Studio!

Note: The StudioCAM is only active for LIVE shows on ShockNet Radio. The video stream does not provide an audio feed. Audio is available only through the station tune-in link.

Dan,

I found those easily enough, but I was looking for the *RSS Feed* so that I can subscribe with iTunes and load them onto my iPod. I do most of my podcast listening on the daily commute, not on my desktop, and definitely not just with a browser.

Glenn,

As you noted, there is not an RSS feed on their site. I would try asking Gene if he could set one up. They have a contact page linked below, and you can ask them to do so. I have never set up an RSS feed myself, but it appears to be a trivial amount of coding to set it up.

http://highinstability.com/hicontact.htm

Glenn,

As you noted, there is not an RSS feed on their site. I would try asking Gene if he could set one up. They have a contact page linked below, and you can ask them to do so. I have never set up an RSS feed myself, but it appears to be a trivial amount of coding to set it up.

http://highinstability.com/hicontact.htm

Well, my first attempt didn't work because the contact form is not set up properly. Hitting 'submit' takes me to "http://your-domain.com/?404=Y"

*sigh*

so I emailed them...

HIGH INSTABILITY GUEST FOR FEBRUARY 27, 2008...DeWANE MITCHELL, WARNING DECISION TECHNOLOGIES

Gene Rhoden said:
"High Instability" for February 27th, 2008

Our Guest for the February 27th show will be DeWayne Mitchell. He is a Senior Meteorologist for Weather decision Technologies in Norman Oklahoma.

DeWayne develops and enhances severe weather algorithms and manages WDT's forensic weather team, producing custom reports on severe weather events for insurance and other clients. DeWayne earned his M.S. in Meteorology from the University of Oklahoma and spent 10 years at the National Severe Storms Laboratory before coming to WDT.

The show will air LIVE on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 at 7 pm Central Time (01 UTC Thursday) on highinstability.com. Call TOLL FREE 1-866-400-6684 with your questions and comments during the show.

Each show will be archived and available for podcast the following Sunday night on highinstability.com.

Enjoy a new interactive experience at ShockNetRadio.com! Now, you can WATCH LIVE shows via the new ShockNet StudioCAM! Just click on the ShockNet StudioCAM link, and enjoy! The embedded Windows Media Player on the page makes it easy to watch streaming video from ShockNet Studio!

Note: The StudioCAM is only active for LIVE shows on ShockNet Radio. The video stream does not provide an audio feed. Audio is available only through the station tune-in link.

HIGH INSTABILITY GUEST FOR FEBRUARY 27, 2008...TIM VASQUEZ

Our High Instability guest for Wednesday, March 5, 2008 will be Tim Vasquez, software engineer, Weather Graphics Technologies.

tim.jpg
Tim Vasquez

The show will air LIVE on Wednesday, March 5, 2008 at 7 pm Central Time (01 UTC Thursday) on highinstability.com. Call TOLL FREE 1-866-400-6684 with your questions and comments during the show.

HIGH INSTABILITY GUEST FOR MARCH 12, 2008...TIM AND KAY MARSHALL, STORM CHASING COUPLE EXTRAORDINAIRE

Our High Instability Guest for Wednesday, March 12, 2008 will be Tim and Kay Marshall, storm chasing couple extraordinaire.

marshall.jpg
Tim Marshall

The show will air LIVE on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 at 7 pm Central Time (00 UTC Thursday) on highinstability.com. Call TOLL FREE 1-866-400-6684 with your questions and comments during the show.

HIGH INSTABILITY GUEST FOR MARCH 19, 2008...KEVIN SHARFENBERG, NWS

Our High Instability Guest for Wednesday, March 19, 2008 will be Kevin Sharfenburg, the National Weather Service's Severe Storms Services Coordinator.

Scharfenberg.jpg
Kevin Sharfenburg

Kevin recently joined the NWS after working at University of Oklahoma, CIMMS, and the National Severe Storms Laboratory (NSSL) where his research focus was on:

* Transfer to operations of dual-polarimetric weather radar
* Warning Decision Support System - Integrated Information testing and development
* Phased Array Radar data evaluation
* Experimental gridded/probabilistic severe weather warnings
* Weather impacts on society

See Kevin's web page for more information.

The show will air LIVE on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 7 pm Central Time (00 UTC Thursday) on highinstability.com. Call TOLL FREE 1-866-400-6684 with your questions and comments during the show.

Show archives are available for podcast at highinstability.com Archives.

You can WATCH LIVE shows via the ShockNet StudioCAM! Just click on the ShockNet StudioCAM link, and enjoy! The embedded Windows Media Player on the page makes it easy to watch streaming video from ShockNet Studio! The StudioCAM is only active for LIVE shows on ShockNet Radio. The video stream does not provide an audio feed. Audio is available only through the station tune-in link.

High Instability Guest for March 26, 2008...Charles Edwards, Cloud 9 Storm Chase Tours

Our High Instability Guest for Wednesday, March 26, 2008 will be Charles Edwards, Cloud 9 Storm Chase Tours.

charles1.jpg
Charles Edwards

The show will air LIVE on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 7 pm Central Time (00 UTC Thursday) on highinstability.com. Call TOLL FREE 1-866-400-6684 with your questions and comments during the show.

Show archives are available for podcast at highinstability.com Archives.

You can WATCH LIVE shows via the ShockNet StudioCAM! Just click on the ShockNet StudioCAM link, and enjoy! The embedded Windows Media Player on the page makes it easy to watch streaming video from ShockNet Studio! The StudioCAM is only active for LIVE shows on ShockNet Radio. The video stream does not provide an audio feed. Audio is available only through the station tune-in link.

High Instability Guest for April 2, 2008...Greg Stumpf

HIGH INSTABILITY GUEST FOR APRIL 2, 2008...GREG STUMPF, NWS

Our High Instability Guest for Wednesday, April 2, 2008 will be Greg Stumpf. Greg will be talking about this years Hazardous Weather Testbed (HWT) operations among other things.

passport_tn.gif
Greg Stumpf

The show will air LIVE on Wednesday, April 2, 2008 at 7 pm Central Time (00 UTC Thursday) on highinstability.com. Call TOLL FREE 1-866-400-6684 with your questions and comments during the show. Show archives are available for podcast at highinstability.com Archives.

Okay, Major Geek Moment Here, but is there a way that I could get a Mp3 copy of the mix "Damn' It's Gonna Take All Them Houses", played at the end of the March 12th show. Tim Vasquez did a great job with the mix and I'd love to have a copy on my Ipod.

Our High Instability Guest for Wednesday, March 12, 2008 will be Tim and Kay Marshall, storm chasing couple extraordinaire.

marshall.jpg
Tim Marshall

The show will air LIVE on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 at 7 pm Central Time (00 UTC Thursday) on highinstability.com. Call TOLL FREE 1-866-400-6684 with your questions and comments during the show.

Back