Gene Rhoden's "High Instability" internet radio show

April 25th guest...Hank Baker

Gene Rhoden's guest on "High Instability" this week will be Hank Baker, owner of Baker photo/video in Yukon, Oklahoma. The show will air LIVE on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 at 7 pm Central Time (8 pm Eastern) and run for two hours. Call TOLL FREE 1-866-400-6684 with your questions or comments during the show.

"High Instability" for April 25th, 2007

The High Instability show for Wednesday April 25th will be Mr. Hank Baker, owner of Baker Photo/Video in Yukon Oklahoma. Hank is an avid storm chaser and photographer who also makes a living at selling photographic equipment. His no nonsense style and upfront approach to photography and photographic equipment coupled with his knowledge of intercepting severe storms makes him a perfect guest to have on the show.

We will speak to Hank about digital SLRs and their application in storm and weather photography, what the best lenses are and where to find them and also discuss what the he thinks are the best models available and what the best way to deal with obsolescence is regarding this type of financially volatile electronic equipment. In addition, we will discuss the latest in prosumer video cameras and where the biggest bang for the buck can be found.

So tune in on Wednesday April 25th to listen to Hank Baker on High Instability.

"High Instability" internet radio show

I have not posted much here (read basically never), but I think this show is a great idea. I have listened to a couple of the programs, and while I agree that the hosts tend to get off topic and perhaps have too much fun with the banter back and forth, I still think its a very interesting and informative show. It is worth noting that these guys are not professional radio show hosts (right?).

If they left out the little comments/snips and humor etc, you might be surprised to find the show completely devoid of any personality and even unlistenable. I'm sure its a work in progress, I did read the whole thread and I understand there are folks who have less or more tolerance for "off color" remarks... I don't think this show is intended to reach a large number of listeners anyway. Its great to listen to experienced chasers and meteorology experts discuss this stuff. I'm sure the show will get better as these guys fine tune their delivery and content. The audio quality and production seem pretty good as well, overall great job so far. Hell, some of you guys will probably get a crack at an interview anyway :)

May 2nd guest...Dave Ewoldt

Gene Rhoden's guest on "High Instability" this week will be Dave Ewoldt, storm chaser. The show will air LIVE on Wednesday, May 2, 2007 at 7 pm Central Time (8 pm Eastern) and run for two hours. Call TOLL FREE 1-866-400-6684 with your questions or comments during the show.

"High Instability" for May 2nd, 2007

Our guest for Wednesday May 2nd, is storm chase veteran Dave Ewoldt . We will be speaking to Dave about his thoughts on this years tornado season and his special project involving tornado verification.

Below is a brief intro written by Dave:

"I am always amazed with the weather that is produced in the Great Plains. Cold or hot, wet or dry, snow or thunderstorms... there is always something to keep a weather enthusiast interested. For myself, the best shows of the year come each March, April, May and June. The days get longer and warmer... moisture returns and the stage becomes set for a few dozen days of severe thunderstorms.

My name is Dave Ewoldt and I have been storm chasing since 1982. I didn't know during the 80's that the storm chase passion was going to be something that would stick with me for a very long time. I now know it is something that will always be a part of me. The beauty in the storms that Mother Nature is able to build can't be duplicated. Every now and then, the perfect balance can be reached to allow a display of power like none other.

I'm out each year to document and video severe thunderstorms and tornadoes with an additional interest in lightning photography."
After the May 2nd show, "High Instability" will go on hiatus for about a month while Gene goes on an extended storm chase tour. Archived shows will be played during this period.

After the May 2nd show, "High Instability" will go on hiatus for about a month while Gene goes on an extended storm chase tour. Archived shows will be played during this period.

Awww..... Well most fans of the show will be out chasing then anyway.

Maybe Gene could take a recorder with him and interview a few chasers out in the field, and then play some snippets on the show when it starts up again. That would be COOL! :cool:

The last time I was called Weed Trimmer I think I was 5 years old!

I definitely enjoy the show guys! Keep up the great work.

High Instability returns!

"High Instability" (internet radio show) returns after a three month hiatus.

Gene Rhoden's guest on "High Instability" this week will be Dan McCarthy, Warning Coordination Meteorologist for the National Weather Service's Storm Prediction Center in Norman, Oklahoma. The show will air LIVE on Wednesday, August 8, 2007 at 7 pm Central Time (8 pm Eastern). Call TOLL FREE 1-866-400-6684 with your questions and comments during the show.

Gene Rhoden said:
"High Instability" for August 8th, 2007

danmccarthy.gif
Daniel McCarthy

Daniel McCarthy is the Warning Coordination Meteorologist for the Storm Prediction Center (SPC) serving as the liaison between the center and the users of SPC products and services. He has been with SPC since 1987 when it was the National Severe Storms Forecast Center, serving as a meteorologist for the National Public Service Unit, an Outlook Meteorologist and Mesoscale Meteorologist, as well as an Aviation Meteorologist for the National Aviation Weather Advisory Unit.

Originally from Cleveland, Ohio, Dan earned a Bachelor of Science Degree from St. Louis University in 1978. He then worked for the State of Ohio as a computer programmer before returning to St. Louis University to obtain a Master’s Degree in Meteorology in1984 specializing in severe storm structure and forecasting. He then took a job with Great Lakes Weather, Inc. in Wausau, Wis., providing detailed weather forecasts to clients around the Great Lakes region and the Ohio and Mississippi Valleys. He also was a television meteorologist with the CBS affiliate WSAW-TV. In 1985, he was invited to join the firm of WeatherData, Inc. in Wichita, Kansas, serving as a broadcast meteorologist for the KSN Network and providing detailed forecasts to clients throughout the central United States.

Dan first became interested in weather as a child watching thunderstorms approach Cleveland. On July 4, 1969 a particularly interesting and surprising storm moved south off Lake Erie producing extensive damage to parts of the Cleveland area. In his senior year of high school, Dan would visit the Cleveland National Weather Service Office after school. He was there on April 3, 1974 watching radar from Dayton, OH as the Xenia, OH tornado moved through killing 35 people. That’s when Dan decided that severe storms was going to be his expertise.

Since joining the National Severe Storms Forecast Center, now the Storm Prediction Center, he has worked numerous events including March 13, 1990 (Hesston, KS tornado); April 26, 1991 (Andover, KS tornado) and May 3, 1999 (Oklahoma City, OK tornado).

Dan has conducted research on bow echoes across Kansas and New York State. Recently, he researched the Super Outbreak of April 3-4, 1974, studying how today’s models would forecast the event and comparing current severe weather tools with those used in 1974. He has been a member of the American Meteorological Society since 1974 and has served as vice president and president of the St. Louis University and Greater Kansas City Chapters. He is currently the past-chairperson of the Board of Operational Government Meteorologists and serves on the Committee of Weather Analysis and Forecasting. Dan was granted the AMS Seal of Approval in 1985. He has also been a member of the National Weather Association since 1980.

Dan is an active member and officer in the Knights of Columbus. His wife, Mary, is a director for Pampered Chef, Inc. They have three children: Daniel, Ailis and John.

Tune into the show at highinstability.com and click on the format of your choice:

Windows Media Format

High quality acc-plus format (The aacPlus format requires a plugin for windows media that can be found HERE or the use of winamp available for download HERE)

Lower bandwidth simulcast on WRBN.net

Each week's show will be repeated at 2 pm Central Time (3 pm Eastern) on the following Thursday. Also, each show will be archived and available for podcast the following Sunday night on highinstability.com.

August 8th Guest...Daniel McCarthy, SPC

Final Reminder...High Instability returns after a three month hiatus.

Gene Rhoden's guest on "High Instability" this week will be Dan McCarthy, Warning Coordination Meteorologist for the National Weather Service's Storm Prediction Center in Norman, Oklahoma. The show will air LIVE on Wednesday, August 8, 2007 at 7 pm Central Time (8 pm Eastern). Call TOLL FREE 1-866-400-6684 with your questions and comments during the show.

Tune into the show at highinstability.com and click on the format of your choice:

Windows Media Format

High quality acc-plus format (The aacPlus format requires a plugin for windows media that can be found HERE or the use of winamp available for download HERE)

Each week's show will be repeated at 2 pm Central Time (3 pm Eastern) on the following Thursday. Also, each show will be archived and available for podcast the following Sunday night on highinstability.com.

August 15, 2007 Guest...Dr. Louis (Lou) Wicker, NSSL

Gene Rhoden said:
"High Instability" for August 15th, 2007

wicker_sm.jpg
Dr. Louis (Lou) Wicker

Our guest for Wednesday, August 15th, will be Dr. Lou Wicker, research meteorologist at the National Severe Storms Laboratory in Norman Oklahoma. Will we be discussing the upcoming Vortex-II project, storm-scale modeling and Global Climate change and how it might impact deep moist convection.

Lou Wicker got stuck with climatology. A lifelong procrastinator, Lou put off preregistering for a college calculus class. When the section he had to have was filled up, he got "stuck" choosing a climatology course instead.

At the time, Lou was in high school in Springfield, MO and was taking a college class at Southwest Missouri State University as part of an advanced study program available to seniors. He liked the weather -- having lived through classic lake-effect snow storms in New York state and seen a few of those late-summer severe squall lines with great roll clouds. But surely, he thought, studying the weather had to be boring. His assumption was shattered the moment he walked into the synoptic map room for the first time. Radar echoes? 500 mb maps? Severe weather watches? Now THAT was cool. Who knew?

Lou decided to make a career out of it, and went to OU in the fall of 1979 to obtain an undergraduate degree. He continued on at OU, obtaining a master's degree in 1986 working with Dr. Tzvi Gal-Chen. Though storm chasing and field research helped define his career, he says he was in the right place at the right time to be drawn into modeling. He earned his Ph.D. at the University of Illinois Champaign-Urbana in 1990, and stayed for a two-year post-doc with the National Center for Supercomputer Applications and the Department of Atmospheric Sciences. Lou then spent seven years on the faculty at Texas A&M before coming to NSSL in 1999 to do research full-time. Publishing one of the first papers on simulated tornadogenesis is one of his successes, he says, and the other would be the development of the Shared Mobile Atmospheric Research and Teaching Radar (SMART-Radar). Lou says it was a successful collaboration built from "common interests and needs," along with the recognition that successful multiinstitutional collaborations require the right kind of people who are committed to a common goal.

His passion is to keep learning -- which fits with his job to "increase our understanding of severe storms and then help get that knowledge applied to real world problems." One of his current goals is to get a more detailed understanding of tornadogenesis and supercell processes. He then wants to create simulations at ultrafine resolutions and compare them with observations. Another goal is to leverage all the people and talent NSSL has to offer to develop real-time data assimilation systems for stormscale prediction using ensemble modeling methods.

Life radically changed for Lou and his wife, Kristy, this past summer with their adoption of a newborn son, Benjamin. Though Lou enjoys golfing (he helps organize the annual NSSL/SPC Employee Association golf tournament), reading (science fiction, biographies, and popular science), hiking (in the Rocky Mountains), and foster parenting exotic animals (capuchin monkeys, porcupines and deer), Benjamin's arrival has sparked a new passion!

The show will air LIVE on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 at 7 pm Central Time (8 pm Eastern). Call TOLL FREE 1-866-400-6684 with your questions and comments during the show. Tune into the show at highinstability.com and click on the format of your choice:

Windows Media Format

Each week's show will be repeated at 2 pm Central Time (3 pm Eastern) on the following Thursday. Also, each show will be archived and available for podcast the following Sunday night on highinstability.com.[/quote]

August 22, 2007 guest...Dr. Ed Kessler

Gene Rhoden's guest on "High Instability" this week will be Dr. Edwin (Ed) Kessler, retired director of the National Severe Storms Laboratory in Norman, Oklahoma. The show will air LIVE on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 at 7 pm Central Time (8 pm Eastern). Call TOLL FREE 1-866-400-6684 with your questions and comments during the show.

Gene Rhoden said:
"High Instability" for August 22nd, 2007

ed.jpg
Dr. Ed Kessler

Our guest for Wednesday, August 22nd, will be Dr. Ed Kessler, former director of the National Severe Storms Laboratory in Norman Oklahoma. Will we be discussing some of the controversy surrounding the funding of the new National Weather Center in Norman Oklahoma. Dr. Kessler will also share his views regarding Global Warming and it's possible causes and implications for future generations and his take on the efficacy of weather modification. Tune in for a great show!
  • Originally from the Northeast, Dr Kessler came to NSSL from the Travelers Research Center in Connecticut
  • He received his Ph.D. Meteorology in 1957 from MIT after serving in the Army.
  • He also served as a Captain in the Air Force Reserve and was Chief of the Synoptic Meteorology Section at the Air Force Cambridge Research Laboratories
  • In the 1964, Dr Kessler became the first Director of the NSSL and was an Affiliate Professor of Meteorology at OU until his retirement in 1987
  • Under his leadership, the Doppler radar research was conducted that led to NEXRAD
  • Dr Kessler has served on numerous Advisory Panels, including NASA and NCAR
  • He has consulted for several Countries on Weather related topics, including Saudi Arabia and Mexico
  • He has a strong interest in Oklahoma Politics, Environmental Conservation, Wind Energy, and Agriculture and currently manages 350 acres of land in Purcell
  • Dr Kessler has authored over 250 publications and reports

Windows Media Format

Each week's show will be repeated at 2 pm Central Time (3 pm Eastern) on the following Thursday. Also, each show will be archived and available for podcast the following Sunday night on highinstability.com.[/quote][/quote]

August 29, 2007 guest...Rich Thompson, NWS/SPC

Gene Rhoden's guest on "High Instability" this week will be Richard Thompson.

Gene Rhoden said:
"High Instability" for August 29, 2007

Rich Thompson is a lead forecaster at the Storm Prediction Center in Norman Oklahoma. The lead forecaster serves as the "team leader," overseeing duties among other forecasters on shift and making sure each product issued is of the highest quality possible. This is so important that all products and bulletins from SPC are proofread by at least two pairs of eyes before they go out, one of which is usually the lead forecaster. The lead forecaster's job is very complex. He or she must be intimately familiar with every aspect of SPC operations, every type of forecast we issue, and a myriad of computers we use to do the job. The stress level of this job can be quite high on active severe weather days, with the lead forecaster having to closely monitor several areas of the country for impending thunderstorm development. A high level of situational awareness is required in this position.

The main operational duty of the lead forecaster is to issue Tornado and Severe Thunderstorm Watches as necessary. This involves a diligent national weather watch -- monitoring current and forecast weather all over the country for conditions that lead to violent thunderstorms. The lead forecaster must coordinate with numerous local NWS offices in the threat areas, and ensure that the watch process works smoothly. SPC watches alert the public, local NWS offices, emergency managers and storm spotters of the threat of severe thunderstorms and/or tornadoes during the next several hours, covering parts of one or more states. Besides alerting the general public to the threat for severe storms, these watches activate storm spotter networks that protect the public through their efforts.

The lead forecaster also composes Public Severe Weather Outlooks (PWOs) when major severe weather outbreaks threaten, and provides direct assistance and guidance in the preparation of all other forecasts at SPC.

The show will air LIVE on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 at 7 pm Central Time (00 UTC Thursday) on highinstability.com. Call TOLL FREE 1-866-400-6684 with your questions and comments during the show.

Each week's show will be repeated at 2 pm Central Time (19 UTC) on the following Thursday. Also, each show will be archived and available for podcast the following Sunday night on highinstability.com.

September 5, 2007 Guest...Doug Speheger, NWS/WFO Norman, OK

Gene Rhoden said:
High Instability for September 5, 2007

DS_computer.gif
Dough Speheger

Our Guest for Wednesday September 5th, will be Doug Speheger, forecaster at the National Weather Service Weather Forecast Office (NWS/WFO) in Norman Oklahoma. Below is a brief bio:

Although it took me a while to realize it, the moment that got me into meteorology occurred on April 3, 1974. This is the date of the largest outbreak of tornadoes recorded in the United States. 148 tornadoes hit 13 states, including Indiana, where I lived. My town was not hit directly, but one of the large tornadoes of that day hit the nearby town of Monticello, Indiana. After seeing the damage caused by this tornado, I developed an interest in weather and storms.

Through high school, I had an interest in science and math, but did not know what I wanted to do. I worked as a disc jockey on a local radio station and there were a few times when I was on the radio when severe weather would move through. Reading the severe thunderstorm warnings on the radio helped to enhance my interest in weather and storms. I finally decided that this is the path that I wanted to take when I was a senior in high school.

I received my Bachelors Degree in Atmospheric Science at Purdue University, then moved to Norman, Oklahoma to
attend graduate school at the University of Oklahoma (OU). Here I had the good fortune of joining the tornado research
team with Dr. Howard Bluestein. The goal of our team was to set up a portable Doppler radar within a couple of miles of a tornado, and use the radar to measure the wind speeds of the tornadoes. Using this radar, we were able to take measurements of 5 tornadoes in 1991, including a large, violent tornado that moved through northern Oklahoma, near the community of Red Rock.

I began work at the National Weather Service Forecast Office in Norman in 1993 and finally finished my Masters Degree
in 1994. The National Weather Service has a number of forecast offices across the country, each making the day-to-day forecasts for the public and for aviation for a specific portion of the country. And when thunderstorms develop, the forecast offices will watch the radar and issue "Severe Thunderstorm Warnings" or "Tornado Warnings" when the storms look like they may produce severe weather.

The office in Norman is responsible for the western two-thirds of Oklahoma (except the panhandle), and a small area of north Texas near Wichita Falls. I enjoy being able to use what I learned from the OU tornado research team and apply that to help me interpret what I see on radar, and to warn people when damaging weather may occur. I still will go out and track thunderstorms in the field when I have a day off so that I can continue to teach myself how thunderstorms work.

DS_damage.gif
Surveying damage after the May 3, 1999 tornado

I was one of the warning forecasters when a large outbreak of tornadoes hit Oklahoma on May 3, 1999. About 60 tornadoes were spawned across the state, including a large, violent F5 tornado that hit the Oklahoma City metropolitan area. Unfortunately, over 40 people were killed by the tornadoes on this day. But later in the week when I was surveying the tornado damage, the destruction was so great in some areas that I was surprised that many, many more people weren't killed by these devastating tornadoes. A lot of people knew the storms were coming and took shelter, and it felt good that I was part of the team that helped to warn them of the destructive weather that was occurring. (Ed Note: To read what it is like in our office when severe weather and tornadoes are occurring, read the JOURNAL from Geoff Haines-Stiles on this web site. And to see what May 3rd looked like-and how to stay safe in tornadoes, be sure to view LIVE FROM THE STORM program 2.)

DS_rim.gif
On the south rim of the Chisos Mountains in Big Bend National Park

Away from work, I play basketball and enjoy music-both listening to and singing in a church choir. I was a member of the Ultimate frisbee team at Purdue University, which is a great sport. I also enjoy traveling and hiking, especially to naturally scenic areas and mountains. I've recently spent time in Big Bend National Park in Texas, Seattle and the Cascade Mountains of the Pacific Northwest, the Florida everglades, and various places along the Colorado Rockies.

The show will air LIVE on Wednesday, September 5, 2007 at 7 pm Central Time (00 UTC Thursday) on highinstability.com. Call TOLL FREE 1-866-400-6684 with your questions and comments during the show.

Each week's show will be repeated at 2 pm Central Time (19 UTC) on the following Thursday. Also, each show will be archived and available for podcast the following Sunday night on highinstability.com.

September 12, 2007 Guest...Robert (Bobby) Prentice (NWS)

High Instability for September 12, 2007

20040529_Bobby_H150.jpg
Robert Prentice

Our Guest for Wednesday September 12th, will be Robert (Bobby) Prentice, Senior Meteorologist Instructor at the National Weather Service at the FAA Academy in Oklahoma City and storm chaser. Below is a biography:

Robert Prentice said:
WHY STORMS?

One of the most common questions I am asked is "Why did you become a meteorologist and/or storm chaser?" I was born in Alva, Oklahoma but grew up in Norman, Oklahoma in the shadow of the "Golf Ball" (the original research Doppler radar at the National Severe Storms Laboratory (NSSL). Norman lies within the heart of "Chase Alley" and my parents sent my sister and me to storm shelter many times. I have always been fascinated by storms.

The turning point was a June evening back in 1979 when I was 10 years old. My aunt and uncle were playing cards with my parents at our home in northwest Norman. A supercell thunderstorm formed in Kingfisher County and moved slowly south-southeast across the western side of Oklahoma City toward Norman.

I remember seeing the first tornado warnings on television and then going out to our backyard to watch the storm approach. The evening was breezy and the air was muggy with a sense of excitement in the air. Initially, the storm was too far away to see. However, as it approached an incredible spectacle unfolded.

I went to our back patio door to warn everybody about the impending storm. They gave me the normal "yea- yea, sure-sure," until I opened the curtains to reveal a storm which resembled the Mother Ship from the movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind." Their jaws dropped and that's when they began to pay attention.

From that point on I've been hooked. I never even knew there was such a thing as storm chasing until I watched the PBS NOVA "Tornado!" episode while I was attending Norman High School in 1985. That program was responsible for the development of many new storm chasers. NOVA created a new program called "Hunt for the SuperTwister" in 2004. I wasn't even able to go storm chasing until I was a freshman at the The University of Oklahoma in Spring of 1987. Unfortunately, 1987 and 1988 were two of the worst years in history for storm chasers. I didn't chase much and I didn't see much. However, things got more interesting the next year.

In 1989, I worked at NSSL during the Initial Operations Testing and Evaluations phase of the WSR-88D Doppler Weather Radar. My job was as a radio communicator between NSSL nowcasters in Norman and storm chase crews out in the field. I didn't get to chase much, but my knowledge of storms grew exponentially through interaction with my co-workers. Project members included Don Burgess, Gene Rhoden, Roger Edwards, Rich Thompson, Dave Gold, Greg Stumpf, Brian Curran, Gary Skaggs, Bill Conway and Arthur Witt. It wasn't until 1990 that I experienced routine storm chase success.

Today I continue to study, chase and photograph storms. It is one thing to study weather in a textbook or on a computer. But, many meteorologists are simply lost when it comes to real atmosphere. There is no substitute for the real thing.

I love virtually every aspect of storm chasing: Utilizing meteorology skills to make the forecast; the excitement and anticipation of the chase; the "Route 66" experience of the open highway; the ambiance of a big sky on the Great Plains; the history of the people on the Great Plains; meeting friends I only see once a year at a lonely intersection in the middle of nowhere; the sport of trying to predict how the storms will evolve; and the awesome power, beauty, and ambiance of storms. If I have to explain any further than this, you wouldn't understand.

CAREER

I graduated from The University of Oklahoma (OU) in 1990 with a degree from the OU School of Meteorology and joined the National Weather Service (NWS) shortly thereafter. My NWS career took me to: The Weather Service Meteorological Observatory in Monett, Missouri; The Weather Forecast Office in Des Moines, Iowa where I lived through The Great Flood of 1993; The Weather Forecast Office in Albuquerque, New Mexico where my wife's extended family lives; and The WSR-88D Operational Support Facility/Training Branch (now the Warning Decision Training Branch) in Norman, Oklahoma. I now live in Norman and commute to my current job at the National Weather Service Office at the FAA Academy in Oklahoma City.

Click here to continue.

The show will air LIVE on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 at 7 pm Central Time (00 UTC Thursday) on highinstability.com. Call TOLL FREE 1-866-400-6684 with your questions and comments during the show.

Back