Gene Rhoden's "High Instability" internet radio show

I just got through listening to the archive show with Chuck Doswell. I have to say that I was a little disappointed with the show. There were some off the wall comments made about pink panties, taking someones wife home with you, and how big your ****** is. There were some interesting discussions, but I think the show would be much better without R.J. in the mix. I really thought this show was supposed to be about weather and storm chasing?

This post is not intended to start a flame war. I respect Gene Rhoden very much, but I was a little surprised at some of the comments that were made. Overall, I have to say that I enjoyed the show and hopefully this was just a fluke.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked show #1... any internet radio/podcast should have some more informal shooting of the bull. If it's strictly structured like a commercial radio program, then frankly, it sounds contrived. However, I respect others' opinions about what they would and would not like to hear.

That's what's great about podcasting... always a work-in-progress! And whatever you like, you can always count on it getting better over time.

Anyone know where show number 2 is? I work most Weds. nights too late to catch the live show. My understanding is that the podcast would be posted on Sunday, but I only see show number one there.

mp

To me it sounded like they were having fun and that's what radio is all about. I just listened to last nights show, and can't believe I have missed the other two. I think RJ is hilarious and Gene is doing a fine job of hosting the show. I think they said Jim Ladue was on for next week??

I agree with Jason - excellent discussions on the show that will be hard to find anywhere else. I was however put off by a few of the occasional off-color commentary that soured an otherwise enjoyable show. FWIW.

I do applaud the efforts put into this program and will keep listening.

I concur with Jason and Dan---I enjoyed the archived podcast with Dr. Doswell late last night. The overall program would have been quite good even if I was a person lacking interest in storms; the music selections were good (particularly like the 'weather song of the week' idea and the Lubbock tornado-inspired selection was interesting). Gene Rhoden and RJ kept the flow going nicely and Chuck's experiences and deeper thinking translate very well over radio. The chaser tales of irony offered insight into areas we have all experienced, and their broadcast voices and mics made for quality listening even over my laptop's tiny speakers.

But toward the end, the episode drifted into some sadly predictable shock-jock cliche patter, and at times it sounded gratuitous--as if there had to be a percentage of potentially offensive language to warrant space on the network. I deeply hope that there is no prerequisite for this. I can handle the diversions into politics and social commentary just fine, but I'd prefer to have any conversations that dip into reproductory humor off the air.

I make these comments out of respect and appreciation for all involved, and in view of how excellent it is to have such a program available.

I hope the show continues like it has. Some folks are just too easily "offended". It'll be ok. I guess I'd rather hear someone's true personality than hear them being fake(yes I'm sure some can already judge and say this is them being fake). If this is how you like to do the show, well I hope you stick to it and don't let those so easily offended change how you do it. This hobby seems to lean heavily towards the easily offended. If you don't like it, start up your own. I'm sorry but straight forward, restricted anything, isn't much fun to me.

Some folks are just too easily "offended".
I have no problem with words that pop into the conversation as expressive language, such as calling bs what it is or creatively descriptive expletives.

I guess it's just a wishful expectation on my part. The opportunity to hear at length those who have made storms their life's work/passion/education/art (which certainly includes you, Mike) is such a rare and invaluable commodity for me that I don't relish the discussion devolving into something I can encounter on any night at the venues where I work.

I just can't understand why a "Live chaser talk radio" has to have that crap in it. Is it the "cool" factor or what? All I can say is that if you have kids and want to listen to the show, make darn sure that they are in an area where they can't hear it.

Mike: No, I'm not that easily offended, and yes It'll be ok. I was a little upset that they got off on subjects such as what I stated in my previous post. I have stated my opinion on this matter, and as far as I'm concerned, I'm finished with this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure why that is such a big deal...It's not like they were dropping F-bombs left and right. Even if they did, I'm sure we have all heard that sort of language before, it's not anything new. I for one don't think they should have to censor themselves. I enjoy the show, and think it should continue as-is.

March 14th guest...Jim Ladue

Gene Rhoden's guest on "High Instability" this week will be meteorologist and storm chaser Jim Ladue from the National Weather Service's Warning Decision Training Branch. The show will air LIVE on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 at 7 pm Central Time (8 pm Eastern). Call TOLL FREE 1-866-400-6684 with your questions or comments during the show.

Tune into the show at highinstability.com (for high bandwidth CD quality) and click on the "Click Here to Listen Button".

You will need to download an aacPlus plugin found here:

http://www.orban.com/plugin/

If you use windows media player to listen or you can use winamp found here:

http://www.winamp.com/player/full.php

A low bandwidth simulcast can be found at WRBN.net. Simply click on your media player of choice located within the box on the middle right-hand side of their main web page. Or you can also download the latest version of Real Player as it has a built in aacPlus decoder. The audio will be better quality by listening through the shocknet site linked above but WRBN.net is certainly "good"

Each week's show will be repeated at 2 pm Central Time (3 pm Eastern) on the following Thursday. Also, each show will be archived and available for podcast the following Sunday night on highinstability.com.

I just got through listening to the archive show with Chuck Doswell. I have to say that I was a little disappointed with the show. There were some off the wall comments made about pink panties, taking someones wife home with you, and how big your ****** is. There were some interesting discussions, but I think the show would be much better without R.J. in the mix. I really thought this show was supposed to be about weather and storm chasing?

This post is not intended to start a flame war. I respect Gene Rhoden very much, but I was a little surprised at some of the comments that were made. Overall, I have to say that I enjoyed the show and hopefully this was just a fluke.

I knew, the moment I heard Gene say "tit" during the Doswell show (and I laughed my ass off as I replayed it 12 times in a row), quotes like the one above would come out of the woodwork. Folks, it's real simple. This show is part science, part entertainment. That's why they call it radio. Chasing already has enough political correctness and boredom. Embrace this new avenue of chaser/weather wisdom. There is no rule stating learning can't be fun.

DON'T BE AFRAID OF FLAVOR MY MAN

And aside, I couldn't disagree with you more about RJ Evans. To be quite honest, for all my personal experiences and the little online rifts we've had in the past, I expected this demonic, hateful voice searing through the broadcast. But hell, RJ's hilarious, insightful, and has an outstanding radio presence. His little chimes and tidbits add a great touch to the show, and I think he and Gene work wonderfully together.

I only listened to the first portion of the Doswell show, but I'm definitely a fan.

Well, I'm afraid if I start talking I'll upset the majority of the people on this forum who didn't have a problem with the show, and that's not really my intention. I was able to listen to most of the show last week, and, overall, I enjoyed it.

My biggest problem with the show was that Roger Edwards was never allowed to complete a sentence without being interrupted. It was like he was asked a question solely for the purpose of being interrupted as soon as he started talking. That became rather annoying after the first few times, and to my surprise, it continued throughout the whole show.

Aside from that, I enjoyed listening to people talk about severe weather, which is what the show should be about. And for that same reason, I would have to side with Jason on his dissappointment with the unecessary lowbrow humor.

I don't think it has as much to do with being easily offended as it does with its relevance to the show. I just don't understand why entertainment has to mean 3rd grade humor. But that is what Hollywood has taught us. And if that is what people enjoy listening to then I don't have much of an argument.

I'm with Brandon on the interruptions last week. I only caught the latter half or so of the show, but from what I heard, one of the interviewers was persistently interjecting less-than-relevant commentary almost every time Roger Edwards was starting to give his answer. Frankly, I would've been extremely frustrated had I been the interviewee.

That said, I really enjoyed the show overall and look forward to listening in on future broadcasts. Great idea and great guests - I appreciate Gene and the others taking the time to do it.

FWIW, I didn't think the "off-color" commentary got out of hand or disrupted the serious scientific discussions - like Mike and others have said, it doesn't hurt to throw in some levity every now and then, especially if the guests are willing participants.

I posted my concerns because I am someone who does not appreciate swearing and raunchy humor. There are many of us that feel this way as evidenced by the number of posts in this thread. I'm not sure at what point in time that the values of people like us stopped mattering, but it appears that way based on how quickly comments like ours are shrugged off and dismissed as being inconsequential or from someone too easily offended. I'm sorry, but I have to say I've always found that attitude to be a little insulting. It basically says to me, "what you think doesn't matter, even though you took the time to voice your concerns. Tough luck".

Look, if the radio program is going to feature this type of content on a regular basis, and if my feedback is not welcome here in this thread or anywhere else, I'm afraid I can't continue to support it by listening to and/or recommending it, despite the excellent discussions on severe storms and chasing issues. The 'shock' content simply takes the enjoyability factor out of it for me. Not that I expect my opinion to change anything, but I figure I might as well explain why in the event that there is anyone who cares. The only reason I'm even posting this is because the program was presented to the entire chase community (of which I'm a part) via ST and WX-CHASE, and I would assume the intent was for us all to listen in and give feedback. If the program format is 'set in stone' and what I think doesn't matter, then forgive me for voicing my opinion and wasting space on this thread. I really don't have anything else to say on the subject.

I posted my concerns because I am someone who does not appreciate swearing and raunchy humor. There are many of us that feel this way as evidenced by the number of posts in this thread. I'm not sure at what point in time that the values of people like us stopped mattering, but it appears that way based on how quickly comments like ours are shrugged off and dismissed as being inconsequential or from someone too easily offended. I'm sorry, but I have to say I've always found that attitude to be a little insulting. It basically says to me, "what you think doesn't matter, even though you took the time to voice your concerns. Tough luck".

Look, if the radio program is going to feature this type of content on a regular basis, and if my feedback is not welcome here in this thread or anywhere else, I'm afraid I can't continue to support it by listening to and/or recommending it, despite the excellent discussions on severe storms and chasing issues. The 'shock' content simply takes the enjoyability factor out of it for me. Not that I expect my opinion to change anything, but I figure I might as well explain why in the event that there is anyone who cares. The only reason I'm even posting this is because the program was presented to the entire chase community (of which I'm a part) via ST and WX-CHASE, and I would assume the intent was for us all to listen in and give feedback. If the program format is 'set in stone' and what I think doesn't matter, then forgive me for voicing my opinion and wasting space on this thread. I really don't have anything else to say on the subject.

Gee Dan, you could have taken those saying these things as THEIR own thoughts on the deal. As if it is ok for you to say you didn't like it, etc(and others to hope RJ is removed from it), then it's not ok for others to say their differing thoughts. You all bothered to speak first about it, others were just posting after that on their feelings. I think if anyone can be "insulted" they are easily offended, sorry. I suppose it would be "better" for me to not say so, just like it would be better for those on the radio show to conform from where they naturally are. Some of us think, "get over it". Sorry if that is insulting.

My guess is in the end, your comments will matter the most anyway, as they are geared towards "pleasing" the most. My bet is tomorrow's show is toned down and changed. That is what happens when some can't just handle(or just not listen to) what they don't care for. I'll be "shocked"(sorry for the pun) if it's not.

As for the interrupting comments about the show, I can certainly agree to that. I noticed it enough to pm another chaser about it at the time. "Amazing" that wasn't what was so troubling to those so concerned about language useage.

Back