fellow chasers? or competition?

Are there mostly pompous or mostly neighborly storm chasers today?

• Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

deanr

Does anyone here have the same problems, I am new to the storm thing, but am a professional in another area. I recently got a internet connection with lycos. So I found a website and emailed someone about storm chasing. I was told to basically bugg off because I didn’t have a Lincoln Navigator to chase in or a tv station camera. I was only asking for info on how to get involved. Everyone I talked with were very arrogant. They did give me links in the same email and I went to the sites. I just can’t believe it. Why are some storm chasers so rude?

It wasn’t fair to tell me off. I hope they see this so everyone will know how they are. Its just my opinion, but I bet others have the same problem.

Dean
P.S. I am not an idiot or yahoo and I looked up the word pompous. It is just my opinion. I never said I was going to HOG YOUR STORMS, that's impossible...Wait a minute, who does the storm belong to?

Pompous adj. (3 entries)
-------------------
1. Characterized by excessive self-esteem or exaggerated dignity; pretentious: pompous officials who enjoy giving orders.
2. Full of high-sounding phrases; bombastic: a pompous proclamation.
3. Characterized by pomp or stately display; ceremonious: a pompous occasion.

Here are some relative links the email had, neat chase truck though…I wont list their names, but it really upset me...

http://www.philhenry.com/storm.htm
http://www.stormchaser.com/#WF

Oh boy, here we go.

Dean, let me just say you will probably have a lot more luck with whatever you want to accomplish in stormchasing by being a faithful ST forum regular, and leave it at that.

Welcome!

Bob

Sorry to hear that Dean

Dean-

I don't know who you emailed, but from the links this individual provided it seems he/she thinks highly of Warren Faidley. I don't know who the other person's site is, but at first glance I'd say it's just a fancy car and equipment to show off, but little knowledge or experience. I don't even consider Warren Faidley a storm chaser anymore. Did anyone see him in the field last year?? From what I've heard of him, he's a jerk. Don't let these two guys represent storm chasers.

Sorry your first encounter was unpleasent.

Jim Bishop
http://stormgasm.com

Hi Dean!

First welcome to the group.

Secondly, please don't let first impressions spoil your interest in storm chasing and cloud your opinion (no pun intended) of those of us who engage in it. I think I can speak for most of us here that The World's Only Full Time Professional Storm Chaser® (or whatever Mr. Faidely fancies himself these days) does not represent the views and attitudes of the majority of storm chasers.

The only requirements you need to chase are passion and perseverance, and a lot of the former when you first begin. Also, you'll need a good basic understanding of thunderstorm morphology and convective modes (multicell cluster, linear, supercellular, etc.) and develop your skills from there.

As you progress, work on developing your forecasting skills as well. Armchair chasing can also be a rewarding activity, especially if you are nowcasting for someone else and they bag a nice hose or LP. Who says you have to have ANY vehicle to chase?! :)

But, as has been brought up in other threads, don't let anyone or anything keep you from pursuing your interests. Feed the passion!

Again, welcome to the group. :)

Regards,

Mike

Welcome to the Stormtrack Forum Dean, we have an awesome group of folks here, I mean it! I joined the previous stormtrack group at yahoo groups a couple of years ago, and moved over to this forum just over a month ago, I feel very welcome here, (thanks group)
Based on my views of the group (but I may be mistaken) the majority of the folks are just plain folks with an avid interest in weather and chasing.

YA! Welcome to the group Dean, it would seem that maybe you just picked the wrong fellow to email. When I first got into chasing, I encountered some really rude guys on a road in the texas panhandle. They were the first other chasers I had ever met. I was pretty put off at first but then decided to try again with some others. I had great luck on the same trip when I met up with a bunch of chasers in Nebraska. My advice is for you to read everything you can find on atmospheric sciences and ask questions here. Dont be put off by the occasional flame war and arguments, Storm Chasers tend to be a passionant breed and opinionated.

Hey there Dean! Welcome to storm track!

I am really sorry you had to deal with those rude people, but don't let first impressions make you think that every chaser out there is like that. I know very many neighborly chasers who are willing to help others get started. This forum is full of them, so don't be a stranger and feel free to ask! 8)

Hello Dean!

Welcome to Storm Track and the wonderful world of Storms/storm chasing! There are decent people and rude people in every hobby! I'm pretty sure though that the decent people out number the rude people esp. in storm chasing! Feel free to contact me if you have any questions concerning storm chasing/spotting etc.

Re: Sorry to hear that Dean

Originally posted by Stormgasm
Dean-

I don't know who you emailed, but from the links this individual provided it seems he/she thinks highly of Warren Faidley. I don't know who the other person's site is, but at first glance I'd say it's just a fancy car and equipment to show off, but little knowledge or experience. I don't even consider Warren Faidley a storm chaser anymore. Did anyone see him in the field last year?? From what I've heard of him, he's a jerk. Don't let these two guys represent storm chasers.

Sorry your first encounter was unpleasent.

Jim Bishop
http://stormgasm.com

Jim,

The second guy you refered to IS an experienced chaser and one of the nicest guys you will meet in the field. He has been on a number of shows including dateline and MSNBC. He used to chase with Warren a few years back but they had a falling out due to a "difference" in chase ideals. I chase with Phil every year. He is also an extremely successful engineer. Ever heard of A Uniden Bearcat or beartracker or the new Strobe technology on Cobra Radar detectors. he designed them all. As for his toys. Oh ya he has a few. He likes to test his designs out in the field before production but dont let that fool ya. he has been out there on the plains every year for over a decade so dont try and group him with other disliked chasers just because you dont know him. Stereotyping a chaser because of his toys etc is not a good practice. I remember once last year we were at a truck stop on the east side of amarillo waiting on the cap to break (as usual) when a couple of chasers (i think from california) pulled up and started talking to us while trying to get there radio equipment to work. Phil went over and spent over an hour and a half helping that kid program his radios and wire up everything. not exactly what I call snobby.
actually one of the things we enjoy most on chases is meeting and talking with other chasers. I know Warren doesnt like it (which is one of the reasons they dont chase together anymore) But Phil loves it, especially when somebody asks questions about gadgets. he is a tinkering fool.

As for you Dean, I dont know who you contacted but If you need anything there are plenty of folks here (myself included) with alot of experience that are glad to share anything we can (at leats until May when we are all gone chasing :D ) so feel free to ask away.

as i said im new here today
found this site by chance
but im really into twisters since
the film twister came out
brill film
can anyone please email me details on how i can start on the road to becoming an expert chaser
im starting from strach

There are certainly a few bad apples in any activity, and chasing is not immune. But the majority of us are sincere, caring, and easy-going. I'm sorry to hear your initial experience with stormchasers was a bad one, but don't let that ruin it for you.

Back