effects on the big D

Originally posted by Jeff Lawson
I agree that flooding could be a huge problem, but I don't think a comparison to Florida is very apt. For one, Dallas-Fort Worth is a good 280 miles from the Gulf Coast, whereas just about any location in Florida is at the most 60 miles away from the water. Furthermore, whereas Florida is flat as flat can get, the area between Dallas-Fort Worth and the Gulf Coast is marked by a continuous rise in elevation with pockets of higher terrain. In other words, there's a lot more friction over Texas than Florida.

Honestly, for 60 mph sustained winds of any consequence (not to mention 100 mph gusts) to reach Dallas-Fort Worth, Rita would have to come onshore as a very fast moving Category 5 storm... and, even then, I'm not sure it could happen.

Agreed. The big potential issue for DFW will be intense flooding and that is nothingn to scoff at.

What about the social effects of the current mass exodus to Dallas? I-45 is all one-way traffic northbound for 100 miles out of Houston, and pretty much a parking lot from what I've seen. What happens when you transfer a large city into another large city? Might be a good idea to stock up on supplies in Dallas just in case we start running low by the weekend.

The eastward trend continues... The 12z GFS indicates landfall near Port Arthur / Sabine Pass, then stalling alon gthe TX/LA border. If this is the case, then I'd say the DFW area won't see a whole lot. Well, they'll probably see some rain, but it shouldn't be too bad I'd imagine. Those in extreme eastern TX and western/central LA could see incredible rainfall totals should the 12z GFS verify. Come early next week, the model progs the storm to shift southwestward into southern TX as ridging builds to the north. Also, without much in the way of forward motion, I think the non-landfall tornado risk has dropped a bit. It's relatively typical to see the maximum inland (not associated with the eyewall) tornado threat develop the two or two after landfall (as has been discussed several times here). Withouth much forward motion, I don't think there will be much juxtaposition of moderate/strong instability and the favorable shear to the east of the storms path. Just my 2 cents.

Dallas

I live in Dallas and am wondering what to expect and the effects of this storm in our area. It seems that it may more more easterly but at this point we really don't have any idea if we're just going to see some rain or anything worse. Anyone have any current predictions?

No gas lines here although alot of people were filling up yesterday and have been discussing it at work. They're also getting emergency supplies which I think may be jumping the gun. Honestly, people need to quit coming to Dallas during these disasters. We're fully booked up! The traffic is bad, so is the smog.

No more room! Keep going north to oklahoma

Re: Dallas

Originally posted by girltx983
I live in Dallas and am wondering what to expect and the effects of this storm in our area. It seems that it may more more easterly but at this point we really don't have any idea if we're just going to see some rain or anything worse. Anyone have any current predictions?

No gas lines here although alot of people were filling up yesterday and have been discussing it at work. They're also getting emergency supplies which I think may be jumping the gun. Honestly, people need to quit coming to Dallas during these disasters. We're fully booked up! The traffic is bad, so is the smog.

Currently it looks like we may escape the heavy rains and winds, as it is forecast to slowly move over areas to our east..e.g. East Texas/LA. Here is the latest Special Weather Statement from the NWS office in Ft. Worth and what to expect from this storm:

CLICK HERE

Things could change with a slight deviation! I'm also in the DFW area and was looking forward to some nice soaking rains. It's been way too dry lately.

i think dallas north along i-35 and to the east could be in for some major flooding problems. the models are picking up on a major stall around the red river area. think i'll give noah a call and see if he's still in the business. :roll:

Originally posted by girltx983

I sure hope you are not serious. Not only do we have locals who HAVE to evacuate, we have Katrina evacuees (still hundreds of thousands in the area) who see Armageddon coming AGAIN and are fleeing. They are sending those from Beaumont and vicinity up 45 too now.
Next time Dallas takes a natural disaster hit, remember this. How would you like it you had to flee to Houston and got this reception?
:roll:

I'm in north Dallas and hoping Rita comes closer to us than they're saying. We need the rain, and I'm a repressed storm chaser and would honestly love to see at least 1 good storm after such a boring spring! I'm ganna have to go with Rita intensifying over night but weakening a bit during the day tomorrow as she gets closer to land. I'm also going to have to "predict" a sharp west turn after landfall so she can come visit me in Dallas... plus I want my statistics class to be cancelled on Saturday :) And everything is big in Dallas, we can handle a ton more refugees, so BRING 'EM ON! :D

Originally posted by Guest
In regards to lines for gas in Dallas, I live in Dallas, and that appears to be a bit off the mark. There are no lines at any gas stations I have come across.
What a difference a few hours make. As of 6pm, once everybody got off of work, gas was up 30 cents and the pumps were at least 3 cars deep.

exactly, here in Bedford most of the gas stations were overflowing!

on a side note I hope the storm makes a westward jog into me, I need some storm lubbin

Originally posted by Carrie Halliday

I sure hope you are not serious. Not only do we have locals who HAVE to evacuate, we have Katrina evacuees (still hundreds of thousands in the area) who see Armageddon coming AGAIN and are fleeing. They are sending those from Beaumont and vicinity up 45 too now.
Next time Dallas takes a natural disaster hit, remember this. How would you like it you had to flee to Houston and got this reception?
:roll:

Um yeah, totally serious. My advice is everyone shouldn't have the same destination, that's why theyve been stuck in a traffic for more than 10 hours without moving a single mile. If i were in houston i might have gone west or south. Reunion arena is completely full, so are the hotels. So at this point they're having to tell people to move along unless they wanna sleep on the street or can find some type of shelter. There are plenty of cities throughout texas, our population surged after Katrina as many became permanent residents. I just wouldn't want to have been stuck in standstill traffic, some of them are still out there and the congestion has gotten WORSE. If everyone makes it up here i have no idea where they're gonna stay.

Gas statiosn here btw are closing their pumps, some of them i'm not sure if it's due to actually running out of gas or the fear of it so they're not selling. Some gas stations aren't busy while others have the cars lining up. Everyone is topping off their tank for fear of gas prices going to $5 :shock:

My advice is to go to St. Francis, KS...they've got lodging and a great ice cream shop along the highway. No traffic jams either...hopefully.

Back