DirectX problems/uninstall

It's not a happy looking situation Karen. At least you're not shooting the bearer of the bad news. I also read somewhere, you don't have the restore disk? That's even tougher. I'm in the same boat though. I don't have the restore disks for mine either. If it goes south, then it becomes a paperweight.

Nope, the laptop came used from a relative back in 02 or 03 - so none of the setup software or Windows CDs came with it. But - we have someone trying to locate a copy of Win2000 on CD for us.........then we could maybe run that through the system to see if it swipes anything it needs off that....

Would an old Dell Latitude CPi running Windows 2000 have the restore function?? I thought that it was too old to have that sort of thing.......

Well - looking on the bright side - all we've lost is OKFIRST and Gibson Ridge capabilities.......everything else works (ha! - disregarding the aforementioned compression problems :evil: ). It just galls me to no end that installing some PoS DirectX update from MICRO$$$$$OFT themselves could screw up our whole laptop so much - that sucks, I'm afraid. Somebody is trying to make money out of us, it seems......

KR

FWIW, I had to roll back a version of direct x last year on one of my home machines. None of the 'utilities' available at that time that claimed to uninstall direct x actually worked. I had to restore the system back to original from the system disks. Turned out for the better anyway....

Good luck... hopefully you can get that cd. Otherwise I'd go for spending a grand or so on a new machine with XP.

So that's where we want to get to. We just don't know how to get there, yet.....

Ok, here's some objective opinions on what you could do to fix this up.

1. Attempt to reverse the DirectX installation using the information you already have. PRO - return to condition just before the GRlevel3 test. CON - still have other problems with laptop.

2. Restore laptop. You'll need to gather a bunch of stuff together first, more below. PRO - restore laptop to a factory-like condition CON - need to get a lot of drivers, ensure you have applications, operating system etc together first - lots of configuration, need to back up files etc.

If you pick option 2, here's some guidance:

- Get copy of Win 2000 from your friend. Ensure you have the Product Key before you start; if not then you'll need to retrieve your current product key (is it on a sticker on your laptop? on the bottom maybe?) - it can be pulled from the system registry if needed. Do not proceed without it!

- Get all the drivers you'll need from Dell. Here's link for your laptop: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...&os=WNT5&osl=EN It looks like windows 2000 will natively support a lot of hardware on that laptop, so you'll only need a few of the drivers there, specifically the IDE, CD-ROM and touch pad drivers. You may also need some of the communication drivers depending on your hardware. If you have an internal NIC and modem then you'll need the specific drivers for those too.

- Take stock of all your applications and hardware (cards etc.) that you have on your laptop. Do you have the disks for all of them? Make sure you are not going to lose anything..

- Back up any files you need to keep (documents, config files etc.)

- When ready, boot the laptop from the 2000 CD. When asked, ensure you delete the original partition and install a fresh copy of windows.. this ensures that you get rid of all the former settings etc that might be causing you trouble.

- After a succesful boot, you'll need to reinstall any missing drivers from the Dell files you downloaded. You might need to check the control panel afterwards to see if the system isn't recognizing anything - in which case you'll need to get the driver for that item. It might be prudent to have another internet connected PC around so that you can get what you need if it comes down to that.

- Once the basics are back up and running, config your system for the internet and get all the windows 2000 CRITICAL updates that are required. Also have a look at the recommended updates but be wary of what you download from that section, for instance DirectX9 sounds like a bad idea for your machine. Only take what you need in other words.

- At this point you should reinstall any applications you need for the laptop. Check to see if there's any updates for the various programs you use, sometimes updates to the operating system mean that programs must change small things to avoid other problems.

I know, this sounds like a lot of work but it is often the best thing to do to restore a computer to satisfactory operation. Even older machines can be useful if the programs and setup are appropriate for the hardware.

Good luck!

Back