Debate: Is an Association Really Necessary

Hi all,

A large group of storm chasers here in Australia decided last year to try another meeting concept specifically focusing on storm chasing from an Australian perspective.

It is based in Sydney, Australia and simply is a group of Australian storm chasers with a common interest. When we meet, people can submit edited video, slides, photographs, presentations on Australian storm chases and events as well as those from other parts of the world. People come and go as they please. There are guidelines but no rules and nobody is charge I guess similar to a chaser picnic with an educational focus. It is amazing how people have come to enjoy the relaxed atmosphere!! Our focus is on learning and reporting accuracy. Theories and terminologies are discussed as well as chaser methodologies and safety.

We meet once a month in our region and put out a bi-monthly newsletter.

http://www.stormchasing.com.au/modules.php...wdownload&cid=1

All this is done voluntarily as we have found it much easier to operate without the need of handling money, voting, etc. Again, nobody is in charge. We simply meet and enjoy and if anyone feels like running a particular meeting, presenting etc we allow it. We put limitations on our meetings such as time that edited video can be shown and the number of presentations. It has been working well with increasing interest and attendance.

We simply deal with the art of storm chasing not having to worry about anything else. Just my 2 cents worth.

The Australian storm chasers website is lcoated at:

www.stormchasing.com.au

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

You know I think it just comes down to a few action minded people (chasers) deciding if they want to create an organization or not. Someone has to come forward. I mean I could create an association (for instance) and then it's success would just depend on whether others joined it or not, and if they participate, etc.

Who or what entity provided for SkyWarn's creation and mandate? Was it just a bunch of public or government?

I see one of the main potential benefits of a national chaser org would be that it would eventually be a recognized and documented entity that people and government officials (read law enforcement) as well as local spotters would recognize. Being a member of this recognized org might allow chasers to call in reports of weather with less doubt than currently given to Skywarn members, and local law might consider us part of the 'has business being here' crowd. That distinction could then separate many of the more involved chasers from just locals that come out and cause traffic jams and problems for instance.

Obviously the association would have a charter and a mission. What would they be? Here's a few thoughts:

1) Establishment of a National Chaser Association
2) Guidelines and accepted rules of behavior that members are required to swear and adhere to.

Generally the guidelines would be that we conduct chases in a sane fashion with not endangering the public and not breaking the law. We wouldn't be required to call stuff in, but the association would facilitate identification of trained chaser reports possibly by a member number. This would be explained to NWS, and they would provide buy in.

There might be recommendations about helping those in need, etc but not necessarily requirements. In other words I want it to be a vehicle for credibility and public recognition for media exposure but not a millstone around the neck of chasers as a set of required rules.

My opinion?

Without having read all of the debates and having been involved with associations in the past, ideally they are great - realistically, when money and business become involved, the idealistic world begins to taper off.

Keep it simple imo.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

Yeah, I think it would be better to keep it simple. It would probably turn into a big political union, like a lot of other organisations. I know that’s not what we would want it to be, but the growing politically motivated idealistic would come into play eventually. Just like in a lot of organizations created with a similar purpose.

Geoff,

Political it does become which takes the whole emphasis off what we are trying to achieve - exactly my point. And yes, I know of at least one association that became political that I don't wish to be a part of.

Our group of storm chasers does not have that problem.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

Storm Chasing Association

I think we already have an "Association" of sorts, right here
on the ST site.

As someone who has been a "union" member and involved in
public service for over 20 years, making things "official" is quite
risky and always ends-up changing things.

Mike

Back