Debate: Is an Association Really Necessary

Pros and cons - have at it - - -

As for the concern about chaser parties extended in the other thread - no worries. Remember that this is still in the proposal stage. If you want free chaser parties, no one has made any formal arrangements otherwise. We're just talking still - - -

Considering the necessity of such an organization ... we've all loved our freedoms so far. The intent is to protect what we have by educating the public and providing positive press releases reflecting the true nature and positive benefits provided by most chasers. It's about instruction, but if a person feels somehow confined by it in whatever way, they can certainly continue to exercise their own freedom of choice to not participate.

Without it, you can expect further interruptions, further suspicions on the part of local folks in the counties where we chase, and an increased rift that will inevitably develop between law enforcement, emergency responders, government agencies and chasers. Whether we will ever see legislation or not, who can say. In my own livelihood, states have been discussing legislation and mandatory licensure for years with no real progress ... it will likely be similar with chasing, IMO ... but it's the other concerns that have me thinking more deeply about the situation.

Is it necessary? Maybe. Maybe not.

But I only see it as a good measure. What possible harm could come from creating a group of like minded people who seek to make chasing more safe for chasers and the public alike? It may not be completely successful, but we'll never know if we never try. Again, I can only see positives coming from this. Count me in.

-George

The good things chasers do as people (which is really the point here) are like anything else; you don't go round doing good deeds then patting yourself on the back about it for all to see.....IMO, this just taints the whole "good deed" aura by saying "look at me, look what I did, I'm a great person!!!"

We all do little things that are great things out there, all the time. No one ever talks about it because there's nothing to say. We do good things that good people do for one another, it's just a way of life......far beyond chasing. And likewise, so is the practice of focusing first on negative aspects of anything, like our lovely media does. Negative is better TV/radio/ratings. The only way we're ever gonna get the push of good stuff into the spotlight (the way the negative is currently) is if we do it ourselves - and that just takes away from the purity of it in the eyes of people.....even if it's a genuine effort, it will look suspicious for every piece of chaser good to be coming from the chaser community. It'll be like we're making things up after a while....am I the only one who's seeing this Big Picture future?

I think the main thing that most of you aren't remembering is, the target audience of this organization/effort to put chasing into a very favorable public profile will not be the general public....it will be that small %age of lawmakers, the only ones you guys are truly concerned with anyway (cause THOSE people have the power to slap wrists).

I still think the effort is, in the long run, a lot more trouble than the results would be fruitful. I mean, aren't we all going to chase as responsibly and respectfully as possible anyway??? The only difference I see in having some organization is a bunch of labels being handed out, maybe a bumper sticker...oh, and some lucky person actually gets paid for it all.

Mike Peregrine said it best: "This cannot be another SCOA..."

Well, it will be.

As an example of how to inform people without actually tooting your own horn, so to speak ... if you go to http://www.noaa.gov ... you'll notice news links at the top of the page with media information, news, etc. Also, the SPC has provided links to news events such as May 4, 2003 that stayed at the top of its pages. As a way to provide news concerning its services, it is only a by product that people are additionally able to see 'hey, these guys predicted this ahead of time - they are pretty cool.'

It's providing information - but not with a 'hey look at me' slant. Every company in America does it.

Also want to be clear that I'm not interested in any formal position here, other than voluntary support. The reasons ... I don't have the background in operating a non-profit ... and unless it can top my current salary, there's no way I'm interested. And it won't.

The point I'm trying to make here is - it's not the good chasers who are causing problems, it's the dumbass few who do stupid things. We're not controlling the actions of these "chasers" right now, and no association or whatever is going to change that. You're proposing we all band together in an attempt to make America realize "hey, we're good guys" but will any of that make a difference the NEXT time someone pulls a dumbass stunt and the media picks up on it (be it local/state/national level)?

This organization could actually come to pass, things could be done, and everything's great....but the current problem that's the basic cause for all of this isn't going to go away. I think a lot of the people who side with me on this issue will understand what I'm talking about here. Everyone's reaction is to try and paint this pretty chaser picture to counter the few bad apples' moves.....this won't be effective. Instead of taking the high road and being all friendly and rubbing elbows (which I personally don't think is needed at all), what we need to do (if you really think something has to be done) is find the individuals responsible for these infractions......cause there's your problem.

The way it is now, or all of us painted under some banner of chaser do-goodism........either way, one bad apple screwing up will bring it all crashing down to where it is right now. Now, there's two ways to look at this: You either (1) focus your efforts on the problem area and find out who the violators are and deal with them directly, or (2) you realize that "hey, this is a problem that really can't be policed, and therefore there's no point in expelling all the effort for a cause that will no doubt be thwarted by a single negative action" (which will happen).

I just don't see how creating an organization will counter the currrent source of the problem you're campaigning against. This isn't a diplomatic remedy you're facing, it's a bare-bones, in-your-face one.

Or it isn't one at all.

Your points about who is causing the problems are right on - unfortunately for the rest of the world, who isn't involved with chasing, and doesn't know any chasers themselves ... it's the few that finally make the image for the rest. And with no defense, that is how it will stay.

The hundreds of other representative organizations that exist for every other endeavor out there (including thrill sports, rock climbing, needlepoint, whatever) work off of the same premise - that there is merit in taking preventative measures. The one I referred to earlier - NALA - started back in the 70's when no one even knew what a paralegal was ... it was organized as a way to provide information about what legal assistants did. Then, later, talk of legislation started being circulated among several states that wanted professional licensure for paralegals ... we're talking glorified secretaries here ... not people who analyze weather maps and then use their vehicles to chase after violently rotating supercells. NALA has continually worked to promote accuracy and to minimize the effects of misinformation. By providing a voluntary licensure program (one that employers in the industry have actually come to use when hiring paralegals), the organization demonstrates that it requires excellence from its members. As a result, people learn more - they learn better ways of doing their jobs, and there are fewer mistakes.

In this case, the barbaric few out there causing the problems will still cause the problems ... but now we will have a defense for the rest. It's just smart business.

One quick thought on the suggestion of confrontation ... how do you suppose this will help the situation exactly - - - this approach results in constant backfires and only makes the ones going after the offenders to themselves start lacking good judgment. If you can find an example of another agency or anyone who employs an intimidation method that makes them successful or favorable in the eyes of everyone else, please provide such an example.

And..... say we "fixed"/confronted EVERY bad apple. The worst problem, IMO, will still exist....the appearance that comes with 100 cars on the shoulders of one block, even if they are there handing out do not do drug stickers. If an organization is drawn up I hope first on it's agenda would be ideas to curb this problem we all add to(not that we need an organization to do so). The worst image problem are large numbers of chasers commiting LEGAL acts. You may not think so, but more often then not I bet it is. Any legislation I'm sure has the ability to realize there are bad apples with anything. They can also see bad apples ain't the only problem or the most problematic, and how you going to convince them(if they even wanted to legislate it) our large numbers slowing down emergency vehicles is ok, because a few of us in the convoy "help out with the rescue"? I agree entirely with Shane.

Those that chase the most want little to do with some 'chasing organization', I think...for the most part. For most that chase alot they like the 'oneness' with the hobby even if they do it with friends. They know the sky will always be free, even if they have to watch it while "driving to grandmas". And in the other direction many that don't even chase, often like the 'organization' side of things to be part of something. I myself wouldn't join. I hope this would not cause befriending by those I know who do favor this whole idea. It is true, it can't hurt anything. I guess I'm just an anti-organization freak for whatever reason. Maybe there is a fear that it could cause MORE public interest. I know there is some wise saying for all this. No need for a helmet when it's not hailing? I think we are in virga on the top of a big hill. Some are enjoying the colors the setting sun is creating on the virga. Others are working on a boat so we know we can see the virga down the road. I need to go back to work so bad.

Mike

Originally posted by Mike Hollingshead

Those that chase the most want little to do with some 'chasing organization', I think...for the most part. For most that chase alot they like the 'oneness' with the hobby even if they do it with friends.

Mike

I have to respectfully disagree here... I am a frequent chaser, and am fully for this program. I believe that there needs to be the public awareness a reputable, balanced non-profit organization can bring. I don't see how there is a seperation between frequent chasers and those who do not chase as much, in my opinion.

No problem; I forgot to enable the "registered user only" permissions when creating the new forum. It's fixed. I left your posts there since they were constructive.

Tim

Wanted to address Mike's point about the sheer numbers out there ... great point ... I've made it myself constantly over the last two weeks.

This is perhaps the single biggest factor in my mind that truly merits consideration. It's going to take some brainstorming to come up with workable solutions to this situation. I'm the first to admit it, since I was one of the first to bring it up in earlier threads.

I have to leave for the evening, but keep posting the thoughts. I'll take a look when I get back in later - - -

Thanks

The problem I see with an organization like this is that you may get a lot of people who want to join, but you're not going to get enough people to take an active role in helping run the organization. And if you don't have people who are willing or able to volunteer their time and resources into the organization, it's not going to go anywhere. The fact that Stormtrack has had trouble getting enough dedicated volunteers over the past couple years to help run the site make me wonder where we're going to find enough people with the resources and initiative to help run a national organization for storm chasers.

Back