Dark Sky app gets big update - Competes with mPing

Steve Miller

Owner Emeritus
Staff member
Supporter
The extremely popular Dark Sky, which began as a successful Kickstarter, got a big update this week. The app has completely stepped up its crowdsourcing with new features that allows users to submit a weather report from their current location at any time.

While previous versions of the app emphasized the weather for the next hour, the new Dark Sky emphasizes the next 24 hours, with a detailed look at the forecast for the coming day.

Users can now set customized alerts for specific weather conditions (rain, heat, wind, etc.) in their area. The app also now has a “severe weather” alert option which notifies you based on government weather alerts.

I don't see any links or information about the part where it competes with mPing. How does it?

The part that is underlined about submitting reports.
Seems the options for reporting weather are growing every day. Question is, are the reports making it to the right people?

Oh. In that case, PressureNet and Weather Signal have been doing that for years, although I think those apps were Android only. Probably a good thing someone got around to making one for iOS. Can never really have too many obs. Just have to hope people aren't submitting malicious or intentionally errant obs. That's one con to mPing - your phone doesn't automatically submit the precip ob based on some sensor; rather the human does. PressureNet and Weather Signal automatically submit obs based on the sensors in your phone. I got a Samsung Galaxy S4 just so I could use these apps. Very cool IMO.

Back