Dangerous Hurricane Frances

I was just listening to Rush and he said an email he received form a meterologist friend of his, that because the pressure has gone up and the winds died a bit, it shows signs that the storm is weakening. I can only imagine that there might be other meterologist or news sites that will report the same thing. Is this something they want to be telling people that are already fleeing? I just don't get it.

Median property value map in the target area. Not that we should necessarily care more about the more expensive property, but the path of the storm as related to property value does tend to shape the economic impact of the storm. Once this gets closer and time permits I'll try to do a 2000 map (requires more time & datasets).

A better measure would probably be total value, but I don't have access to those stats.

Click to enlarge.
[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://www.stormtrack.org/valuex.gif[/url]

Tim, the "Click to enlarge" thing doesn't work...

EDIT: Must be this browser... The status bar shows the image location, and the alt text (Click to see full image) shows up fine... I just can't click on it ... Instead of acting as a link pic, it acts like a regular image file, as IE's "Image toolbar" pops up. Oh well, I'm assuming it's just this comp. Works file with another browser (Moz). And yes, I'm clicking the image, not the text... :)

I was just listening to Rush and he said an email he received form a meterologist friend of his, that because the pressure has gone up and the winds died a bit, it shows signs that the storm is weakening. I can only imagine that there might be other meterologist or news sites that will report the same thing. Is this something they want to be telling people that are already fleeing? I just don't get it.

Apart from the obvious (...now the blathering a.h. consders himself a certified meteorologist? Wow, I guess he REALLY does know everything! :roll: ) it does seem out of place for lay media personalities to speculate on situations like this. Of course it happens all the time. I remember a ditzy Santa Barbara area newscaster/model speculating that "the fire looks to be under control; the houses behind me should be safe." Half an hour later, the whole area looked like Tokyo after an incindiary raid. :oops: Just report what you know, guys.... ;)

Without knowing exactly what he said, I hope anyone listening will understend that storms naturaly wax and wane as they travel. I sure wouldn't alter my evacuation plans for anything short of an official NWS/NHC statement.

-Greg

(Jeff - The click thing seems to work fine... check to see if your browser is disallowing popups, as it needs to spawn a new window)

My maternal grandparents used to live in Boca Raton, FL and I remember visiting them - one of the most wealthy areas in Florida, as well as for many miles north and south of there. Huge homes, all with pools, and many many people with nice cars, etc, etc. If this thing were to come ashore around Vero Beach or WPB...the financial losses would be extreme, to say the least. The good news is that I'm sure at least these people have the resources to go stay elsewhere and rebuild - contrasted to where andrew plowed through (i.e. trailer parks, less wealthy areas, etc.). At this point I'm more inclined to say I'd rather this hurricane plow through an area filled with wealthy people that don't die rather than less wealthy people who die (human life is more important than monetary losses always).

CNN reports that a preliminary damage prediction of $10 billion to $35 billion has been issued by a insurance industry group. The estimate was issued by Risk Management Solutions, a firm that does catastrophe modeling and estimates for the insurance industry.

An important question:

I have relatives that live in Spring Hills (Hernando County), Florida. What will Frances do to that area?

:( :shock:

Back up and read the earlier post from Tim. In short - this is a forecast question - so it can't be addressed here - nor should it be asked.

Glen

... Did some quick web research.... FYI, it is Spring Hill.... Spring Hill is located north of Tampa/St. Pete on the west coast. They should stay tuned to their local EM alerts. Hopefully their location will escape the worst of Frances.

Have any of you watched any of their coverage? It's VERY odd... They were playing uplifting music with their title screen "Hurricane Frances." Also, the main newscaster wasn't sure if it would be good or bad if the hurricane slowed down.... while it was right on top of them. THEN, none of the newscasters could decide whether it would rain more or less if it slowed down - they would have to look it up....

Interesting viewing.

Back