College Meteorology Programs

Alex, I think just about any college in the midwest looks pretty good. Although as you mention a lot of the big 12 schools are great as far as views go, Iowa State definitely is one of the most beautiful college around especially beings it is all located together, you don't have other buildings around campus that take away from sort of a rural view and the great style of buildings we have. So yes, qutie a few of the big 12 schools look wonderful when you are walking around campuses.

As for the actual purpose of this topic, I really think that you need to look at the options you would want to enjoy. Sit down and look at a list of all of the colleges that offer met programs, go to their websites, etc. and get information on them. Then slowly cross schools of your list and get down to some of your top options. The best way to choose a school then, go visit them! I took the summer after my junior year going to several colleges around the plains to see which one I enjoyed most. I ended up choosing Iowa State and I definitely don't regret that decision for the same reasons nobody else disagrees with the choice they made. You have to choose a place that you will enjoy, for me although I knew Oklahoma was a great college for Meteorology, I didn't want to go there. Maybe it was distance, maybe it was just that I like having a little smaller classes, just not sure, but it just didn't feel like the college for me. In the end be sure to just choose the college that you feel the best at, as is the end, every college degree no matter where you got it at will be able to get you a job.

I have been to all of the Big 12 campuses that have meteorology programs. As an OU graduate I have to say that the University of Kansas has the prettiest campus.

That said, I think the beauty of the campus should rank no higher than about 25th in your criteria for finding the right school.

That is a very good point, campus looks are just an add-on to your experience of the college you choose. One thing that I thought of to look for when searching through your colleges of choice, look at student involvement. Do they have student programs, clubs, etc. or is it just an individual thing where every student is pretty much on their own in the program. Such things would be an AMS chapter other local weather communities, etc... I know at Iowa State we have a Student AMS chapter that is very good, being labeled as Chapter of the Year this past school year! We also have a local NWA (National Weather Association) chapter that puts on a conference every year and that is a big plus in the way of getting involved, that was also named chapter of the year!

So that is just something else I thought of when looking at a college of your choice.

I went to Central Michigan University, when I went there
the synoptics courses was focus on operational meteorology.
Labs we did a lot of hand analysis, along with using the different
software available on the computers. The nice thing about the
courses they taught you how to analyze weather data and forecasting.

Too many schools in my opinion focus too much on theory, not
enough on developing skills to forecast weather.

Mike

Too many schools in my opinion focus too much on theory, not
enough on developing skills to forecast weather.

Amen! This is why it is important for the student to factor in the career goals when making a choice of schools. If you want to do research it should weigh differently than if you are certain you want to do forecasting, etc.

I am a senior in high school this year and have been looking at a lot of different universities, especially this summer. The four schools that I am considering right now are OU, Miami, Nebraska, and Iowa State. OU by far has the largest program and the best facilities in my opinion. Iowa State seems to have a very good undergraduate program and a tornado simulator which sounded pretty cool. While visiting Miami and Nebraska I was not able to get much information about their Met. programs. When I visited NCAR and talked to several people there, Penn State and OU were mentioned the most. Also, I know Colorado State does not have an undergraduate major and according to Michigan's brochure thing they don't have a major available either. As of right now OU is my top choice! Hope this was helpful. Good luck!

Back