CNN, huh?

Issuing TORs for the eyewalls is the current NWS directive. There is a NOAA committee that is currently reviewing that directive, and most likely, we'll see something like an "Eyewall Warning" starting 2006. I think Roger Edwards ( ) is involved, if he wants to chime in.

"Issuing TORs for the eyewalls is the current NWS directive."

Did that come from some sort of study? Do residents get the warning? Do they not hear the 150mph winds blowing outside and know there's trouble?

Just seems like something Joe Manager at HQ came up with...

I just wonder what purpose an "Eyewall warning" would serve. I mean, assuming we're talking about a major hurricane, the folks in the warning area are very likely to be without power, and I can't imagine NWR's and local radio stations' transmissions (that is, if the transmitters have power) will be heard by folks in the area. If nobody in the area is going to get the warning, why issue it begin with? Again, this assumes that the storm is a major hurricane, since most non-major hurricanes don't have "tornado-like" winds. In addition, all areas where the eyewall of a major hurricane is expected to make landfall should certainly be under a mandatory evacuation, so the folks in those areas shouldn't be there to begin with. Not saying that these people don't deserve to be served by the NWS, but they won't likely be able to get the "eyewall warning" anyway.

I understand the purpose of the warning, and I don't have a problem with warning for areas that are likely to experience "tornado-like" winds. However, it seems to be more academic than practical in terms of illiciting a response from those in the warning area.

Originally posted by Jeff Snyder
I just wonder what purpose an \"Eyewall warning\" would serve.

Seems fair to ask. I'm hoping there was a survey after an event that got some responses suggesting it was helpful. About the only thing I can think of is perhaps someone knew the hurricane was coming, chose not to evacuate, but wasn't sure whether they would be in the path of the strongest winds or not. They don't have power - but might have a radio, or NOAA wx radio to get updates on. Maybe a person would otherwise not know for certain if they are experiencing the worst it will get or if they should expect conditions to further deteriorate at their location.

Glen

Back