2022-08-20 REPORTS: IL

I decided to chase today given there was a 2% tornado risk in place and a surface low in Eastern Iowa with a large amount of 0-3km CAPE juxtaposed with high surface vorticity. I knew bulk shear wasn't very strong, so my target was far NW IL near Edgington near the Mercer/Rock Island County line. I arrived on a supercell near New Boston with a massive wall cloud, it did not take long for it to drop an intermittent tornado that lasted from 1:17-1:19PM, however it looked like there was intermittent touchdowns until around 1:25pm or so to my south. I was driving through and it was heavily cloaked in rain. The first tornado touched down about a mile to my SSW and moved directly E.

_DSC1219.jpg

I repositioned east noting the potential of another rainwrapped tornado near Joy, IL (I could hear the waterfall noise, but make no visual other than rotating rain curtains). Finally N of Aledo, a thick rope tornado came out of the rain, I'm assuming this was the same tornado that had been in progress for a solid 10 minutes or so based on radar. The foreground was literally the best I could do as the more it became visible, the more it roped out, so I wanted at least SOME proof lol.

_DSC1284.jpg

I turned back to the NW and saw a developing tornado about 2-3 miles NE of Aledo, IL which on radar showed a very tight couplet, small CC drop, and very nice spectrum width. It quickly cloaked in rain after touching down (1:55PM-1:59PM). I noted some more tree and crop debris. I intercepted again around 2:02PM as a multiple vortex tornado about 1/2 mile to my W in the field. I got some crappy video of it, but I believe it to be the same tornado dissipating.

_DSC1263.jpg

_DSC1271.jpg

The tornado continued at me NE of Aledo and was throwing corn debris and then roped out around 2:05PM

Aledo, IL Cone.jpg

Aledo, IL Rope Out.jpg

The storm took on a high precipitation look and become very outflow driven, I got blasted by about 60 mph winds heading south toward Alpha, IL and home. I arrived back at my house in Macomb around 4:30pm after seeing a total of 3 tornadoes that I could confirm.

_DSC1386.jpg

The day did not start off uneventful etiher, I photographed this photogenic thunderstorm around 3am near Macomb, IL too....

_DSC1152.jpg

_DSC1127.jpg

_DSC1158.jpg

These Midwest summer low end days really are my favorite days. I'm happy I was able to provide reports to KDVN and allow them to issue tornado warnings as it seemed I was the only chaser/spotter in the area at the time according to their office. Great day.

Last edited:
Have edited some more high resolution stills of tornado #1 west of Joy, IL looking south/southwest.and tornado #3.

_DSC1222.jpg

The next image is of a multiple vortex tornado NE of Aledo, IL later in the life cycle of the storm.

_DSC1313.jpg
Tornado NE of Aledo, IL

_DSC1358.jpg
Supercell thunderstorm near Viola, IL

_DSC1404.jpg
More HP structure on highway 150 near Alpha, IL. There were bits of rotation along the leading edge, but at this point it was more of a wind threat.

Have edited some more high resolution stills of tornado #1 west of Joy, IL looking south/southwest.and tornado #3.

View attachment 23097

The next image is of a multiple vortex tornado NE of Aledo, IL later in the life cycle of the storm.

View attachment 23098
Tornado NE of Aledo, IL

View attachment 23099
Supercell thunderstorm near Viola, IL

View attachment 23100
More HP structure on highway 150 near Alpha, IL. There were bits of rotation along the leading edge, but at this point it was more of a wind threat.
Good for you! I was completely oblivious to the tornado risk until I was glancing at radar in the afternoon. These kind of days can make or break a year.

Back