Classic supercell 100km west of Sydney 7th February 2007

My day was a bit less rewarding - after getting the forecast target areas and strategy right at home, I threw it all out the window in the field and followed a severe storm into inchasable country.

Then I spent the rest of the late afternoon trying to mow down a supercell in the upper Hunter - after 100 miles and dirt roads, kangaroos and mud I gave up.

These photos are of an ealrier storm ( the one the suckered me )

Great stuff Jimmy and Michael, certainly makes me want to head E coast at some stage, there is only so much of a wet season this tropical lad can take, awesome strobeshows aside. As I said in a different forum JD, this is the best example of a classic SC I've seen in Aust, and apart from a couple of LPs the best from here full stop :) Great to see you in the area too Michael and love that vortices pic

I have to ensure I have not taken the credit of this chase as both David Croan and Paul Graham were with me as well. They certainly are both stoked. With the late nights and so many forums to answer to, I forgot to mention. It definitely was a team effort and one of those chases I will treasure. And just to note, I had a discussion with Michael Bath on this issue, one never knows until the chase is on what could be unfolding. I don't have a picture of the storm when we decided to investigate it - it looked basically crap - certainly not as good as other storms further southwest at the time! It was the storm we decided to pick based on its behaviour.
Regards,
Jimmy Deguara

Michael T,

Have you timelpase of that storm as in the second photograph? Interesting base in that photograph?

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

Great pics Jimmy! This definitely puts SDS in 3rd gear for me. 3 more weeks for "Tornado Prepardness" here in Chicago. March 1st = Happy time for me. Even if nothing happens at least it'll be "in season." Awesome structure, great catch!

Nice pics and time-lapse. Even with our recent activity nearby, your documentation fuels my passion that much more. I just have to keep telling myself "patience, Paul, you still have quite a bit of preparation before official chase season anyway." I love the "backward" rotation. Keep 'em comin'.

Great pics and vid Jimmy - it looks like the storm turned left quite hard as it approached you - for a time it seemed like passing you by, but there's a great correlation between it visually "cranking up" and turning towards you. This type of thing gets me through the winter, and looking ahead to May 14th!

Very nice stuff Jimmy! That storm certainly was spinning! I especially enjoyed the timelapse. Consider yourself lucky for getting to chase at least two different seasons regularly :p

Nice photos and video there. :D Just trying to put names on here to user names on Weatherzone I think your username there is hail? (P.K. is mine on there).

Glad you all enjoyed the video and pictures. Thanks for the comments and ideas in regards to storm behaviour. I certainly cannot wait until US season (funds permitting).

(Yes my name is Hail on Weatherzone forum Peter Kirk)

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

Back