CITY OF NEW ORLEANS THREAD

Wathing streaming WWL-TV...they are now reporting widespread looting as the severity of the situation sets in. Some of the looting includes electronics and jewelry, so it's not just for survival. They are now saying one police officer was shot in the head when he confronted a group of looters. The situation in New Orleans is clearly deteriorating rapidly.

I just heard on CNN that the officer who was shot in the head by a looter is expected to make a full recovery! :shock:

I hope those 'fill in the blanks here' who were looting during this tragedy remain in N.O. and become part of the urban renewal plan. I'll keep a good thought for all others and their property, but not for those bastids.

Say they dont get the leavy fixed, NO is not that much lower then the lake is it? Correct me if I am wrong but wont the water eventually reach the point where it will stop overshooting the leavy, how much water is remaing above the leavy base.

Say they dont get the leavy fixed, NO is not that much lower then the lake is it? Correct me if I am wrong but wont the water eventually reach the point where it will stop overshooting the leavy, how much water is remaing above the leavy base.

thats what i think will be the only thing that stops it

A reported from WDSU just said on CNN that there is a levy near the center of the city (more downtown?) that is on the verge of breaking. He said the helicopter that was to deliver the huge sandbags to help plug holes in the levees was diverted for search and rescue purposes.

I heard earlier that they were planning on filling several of those MAERSK trailers (as in tractor trailers) with sand and placing them down to block the breached areas. That would be something to see!! Apparently the ARMY Corps of Engineers was devising this plan. Anyone know anything more on this?

EDIT: Obviosuly they would use the ones that have flat bottoms and not the ones with tires/wheels. Prob. the ones they load on freight trains.

thats what i think will be the only thing that stops it

Fixing that breech wouldnt have helped much since there is already another breech.

The other problem is all the rain from Katrina upstream will be coming down the Mississippi and will inundate what the lake doesnt. Rain amounts in the Tennessee Valley are 8-10 inches and all that is coming to N.O.

Also as water sits on both sides of the levee system it weakens the levee's even more so more places will fail.

Yea but more failures in the levy will not affect how much water fills NO it will only affect how fast the water fills the city. As to the threat of the river rising, the whole southern LA area is low and marshy the river will widen up stream and find alternative routes also there are many dam sites that can be used to control the level of the river.

Yea but more failures in the levy will not affect how much water fills NO it will only affect how fast the water fills the city. As to the threat of the river rising, the whole southern LA area is low and marshy the river will widen up stream and find alternative routes also there are many dam sites that can be used to control the level of the river.

Except the river runs right through N.O. and if a levee fails along it while swollen with runoff it will compound the situation. Also from what officials have said the Mississippi has reclaimed much of southeastern louisiana and the flow maps are now useless. It goes where it wants.

Exactly since it will flow where it wants water will be spread out multiple channels will take the river else where rather then NO, also while extremly heavy rain is falling the remnants are moving quickly and rivers such as the Ohio will not flood majorly, we will see on TV pictures of massive flooding in the Ohio valley but it will be from the small creeks and streams by the time the water reaches the LA area the flooding will minor.

All I can say from first hand knowledge, New Orleans is pretty much gone. Currently, I am en route to Houston to fly home on a red eye. I interviewed some people today that had to swim out of their homes because they were trapped upstairs. About 80 percent of the people I saw that were rescued had pets with them and they did not want to leave them behind. I will have lots more photos and video up tomorrow when I get home. But I will be lowering the resolution of the videos since my server is getting slammed and its on a DS3

All I can say from first hand knowledge, New Orleans is pretty much gone. Currently, I am en route to Houston to fly home on a red eye. I interviewed some people today that had to swim out of their homes because they were trapped upstairs. About 80 percent of the people I saw that were rescued had pets with them and they did not want to leave them behind. I will have lots more photos and video up tomorrow when I get home. But I will be lowering the resolution of the videos since my server is getting slammed and its on a DS3

Doug, was seeing all this pretty saddening? I would think it would have been.

Doug, was seeing all this pretty saddening? I would think it would have been.

Yes, it hit me today pretty hard as I was back out seeing what happened. When I sent the last video I shot today up to the Station and the network, I had no other way to describe what I saw other then to call people Refugees like they just came out of a city that was just bombed.

What really hit home for me is when you watch the video of the destruction in downtown New Orleans, you see a guy come up to me and ask for help. I shut the camera off but he said he his home was just flooded and he lived on the second floor of an apartment by the lake. As soon as I heard that and taking Blake Michaelski's advice to get out if water starts to rise, I did. I went through a lot of flooded streets and barely made it back to the hotel.

But today, I went back on I10 on spot I was at where they were doing evac and search and rescue with the boats, and the area I was at was now under water, not just a few feet, it was now a lake. I saw the top of a car that was under water but coule barely make it out because it had several feet of water on top of it. The only way I could really see it was the sun was out.

The looks on the peoples faces when they got off the boats and were walking to the aide station to check in and get checked out before being trucked over to a shelter was heart breaking. I had to remind myself that I just film the news, I don't make it happen. I did not film anyone that was in no shape to get out on their own for health reasons such as the elderly or sick. While talking to some guys from the Coast Guard when a boat came in with some people on board. There was one old lady with an air tank that they rescued and I pointed the camera up. He asked if I was going to film that and I told him no because she looked like she had no choice in the matter and was trapped there. Its the able bodied people that would not leave their pets behind or the ones who just did not take it serious who then needed to be rescued that I filmed.

And as for being a little cold and focusing on the chase and seeing a powerful storm, yeah I was there for the storm and get in for the storm then get out after it and never see the people for the most part. Its when you see hundreds of people waiting under a bridge in the shade for a flefet of school buses to take them to a shelter because they just lost everything, thats when it really hits you that there is a major human factor and its not just all about seeing the power of the storm. There were more people waiting at one pick up area that lost everything then were affected by tornadoes all year. So does it impact me Mike, Yes, yes it does but I also have a job to do and I know that there is not much if anything I can do for them except take their names and phone numbers of people that they want me to call to tell them they are alive so their loved ones won't worry.

After finishing up the last video shoot a man and his dog were looking pretty bad from being out in the heat. He asked me if he could bum a ride and told me he needed to go to his moms house by the airport. I packed up my gear in the back seat and they got in and I brought him across town and gave him some food. He was very happy for the ride but nothing could beat the look on his face when he got to his moms house and found that 99 percent of it was perfect. Just some debris in the yard, but the trees were still standing, whe windows were there and he now had a place to stay since his house was under water.

Back