CITY OF NEW ORLEANS THREAD

flooding in NO

politics aside...

I live in jax, FL and heard about the levy breaks early this am, national news is reporting it. IMHO the consider this old news, and are now reporting the latest developments, such as the twisters in carrolton and helen, GA, and rescue operations along the MS coastline. lets face it, those videos are easier for them to obtain and make better TV.

[Ignores sarcasm in spirit of Sx2 :wink:] For starters my understanding is that over 3,000 of the LA Guard are overseas with their heavy transportation equipment. It is also my understanding that a significant part of the Army Corps of Engineers is deployed for Iraq reconstruction. Until recently -- silly me -- I thought these agencies were specially trained and equipped for flood control, homeland security, and disaster relief.

What happened to no politics? The United States has plenty of manpower to respond to this disaster. There are like 10-12K National Guard troops left in Lousiana, and plenty of ACE troops left in the US.

Reporting very heavy flooding in Chalmette (east southeast of downtown N.O.) and a plan to transport people to the top of a levee by boat where they will await rescue by larger boats for transport to areas north of I-12. Also a new report of two deaths by people trying to return to Slidell.

To clarify an error in another thread, the Twin Span bridge does not cross the river. It is the long Interstate 10 bridge between Slidell and New Orleans. It must be avoided completely.

Some of the footage on Fox is incredible... Some roofs of homes are actually completely under water! There are families standing on their roofs, and it's just amazing. I just saw a live report from the the French Quarter, where water is now knee-deep, and reportedly still rising.

Also now, a reported is standing on the foundation of what used to be a house. Looks like what an F4 would do, but this damage from the storm surge that absolutely decimated many of the structures are there... Didn't catch the location, but I assume Gulfport. Haven't seen any live video beyond videophone, low-res stuff from Bay St. Louis.

How politics can be interjected (as usual)into a talk about a disaster is beyond me. I thought thats what the new Sx2 was suppose to stop (ya right). I dont care if they have 30,000 LA guradsman there it couldnt stop the levee from failing. The entire situation can be blamed on 2 things... Mother nature being herself and people who build a city on the coast in a swamp below water level!!!!! Everybody knew this was going to happen someday. there was no avoiding it. its like building the worlds biggest trailer park in Moore, Ok. it will be hit sooner or later and destroyed.

At least marshall law has been declared and looters will be delt with swiftly and without mercy. Too bad there arent any trees left to hang them from. Hate wasting $$ for bullets on scumbags.

My actual interest is these 3000lb sandbags the Army Corps of Engineers is going to airlift by helicopter and plug the Levee break. I have never seen or heard of these but its a cool idea if it works. Anybody else ever heard of these things??

How politics can be interjected (as usual)into a talk about a disaster is beyond me. I thought thats what the new Sx2 was suppose to stop (ya right). I dont care if they have 30,000 LA guradsman there it couldnt stop the levee from failing.

I'm wondering how politics could be left out actually. The new S2 was to do away with that, but I would think this is a special case since guess what, it deals with weather, in this case a disaster. Yep, 30,000 LA guardsmen aren't going to stop a break but I bet they could help a few folks like those stuck in their attic. There is NO WAY they WOULDN'T be VERY useful at this time. I don't think it is silly at all to mention that fact. Just watching the news it seems like you see very few boats or choppers. 30,000 guardsmen from LA are really overseas? Ouch.

I think the thing that bugged me the most out of what I've seen was the lady crabbing loudly that she couldn't get back in. She was all mad they were told to leave and now can't get back in. She says next time they won't leave and added maybe they'll just stop paying taxes. I later saw one of those burning houses and couldn't help myself but hope if it was anyones that it was hers. They should have let her back in there, they really should have. Perhaps she was wanting in to help those in a situation to truly crab on and on about.

breaking...from governors conference...water is so high in St. Bernard Parish east of the Industrial Canal that water is actually being LET OUT of the Parish at this point.

...Alex Lamers...

FoxNews just reported that they've called for the total evacuation of the entire city of NO, including those in the Superdome because of continually declining conditions.

Just saw some pics of the I-10 bridge over the water... :shock: HUGE sections of I-10 are completely removed, and many of the bridge supports are gone. That'll be a huge job to fix that up!

Back