Cingular and Internet connections

Because the phone pics on cell phone cameras are not that great, I will be carrying a cheap point and shoot digital camera that uses SD cards, set it to low res 640x480 , be able to shoot remove the SD card from the camera, drop it in the Treo phone and send instant high quality pics via , email, text message etc..

I'll have to disagree with you there Hank. I also own the 650, and while it's internal camera takes typical cell-phone pics, you can drop in SD cards that have pics of much higher resolutions and work with them just fine (as long as they're in jpeg format). I would also suggest that bringing along a "cheap" camera on your chase is cheating you of the opportunity to capture some decent images that you will treasure at a later time.

Cheers,

I will tell you the RAZR has an issue about reception. There is no external antenna and no external antenna jack. There were times last year when I had only 1 bar on my RAZR but my partner who had a different style phone but also Cingular had 4 bars. We had to use hers to call anybody let alone use it to dial up. I like Motorola phones but the RAZR is crap if your not in a city. I may even switch back to my old Nokia just because I know I can use it to hook to my laptop.

There should be an external antenna port on the back of your RAZR. It covered by a little rubber plug. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan on ordering an external antenna and giving it a shot.

You were right Sheila. I had never noticed that port because it is soooo tiny. I did a search and found and ordered an external antenna cable for it. I already have a wilson antenna it will plug right into with this cable. Should solve alot of issues I had with this phone.

I was at work today and got my coworkers Razr and seen it had it too but looks like I was beaten on telling it. I honestly thought they left it off that model. Oh well. Got notice today that we are realeasing the Samsung ZX-10. UMTS phone. Also one by LG but I can't remember the number of it. I can tell you the Samsung has no bluetooth! Bummer. If we get the Nokia N80 that will be a phone to have on UMTS.

I'll have to disagree with you there Hank. I also own the 650, and while it's internal camera takes typical cell-phone pics, you can drop in SD cards that have pics of much higher resolutions and work with them just fine (as long as they're in jpeg format). I would also suggest that bringing along a "cheap" camera on your chase is cheating you of the opportunity to capture some decent images that you will treasure at a later time.

Cheers,[/quote]

John, I probably did not communicate clearly.
I shoot a Nikon D200 for serious photography. The cell phone images are for instant pics for web post for reporting, confirmation and news.

Also being able to act as a web resource alone or tethered to the laptop as a modem is a plus for the phone, it has multi functions.

We are even using GRlevel 3 radar, using the treo650. You ask how? The radar get sets up on a home computer for a particular chase area, with links on a website to access the updated radar screen shots.

Originally posted by Jay McCoy
You were right Sheila. I had never noticed that port because it is soooo tiny. I did a search and found and ordered an external antenna cable for it. I already have a wilson antenna it will plug right into with this cable. Should solve alot of issues I had with this phone.

I received my Wilson antenna and adapter today. I'm curious to see how this helps me out in some known trouble areas around here.

Back