Christmas Eve and snowing!

Might not be such an unusual thing for some, but a white Christmas is a rather rare event here in West Texas. It's currently snowing here at my house SW of Lubbock, and across most of the South Plains, and has been for 2 days! We have about 6 inches on the ground right now, and expected to add another couple of inches by tomorrow morning with high temps below freezing tomorrow (hasn't been above freezing for a couple days now) looks like, at least into Christmas morning, we will have snow on the ground!

This is the first time in about 17 years if memory is right that I have had snow for Christmas!

Same here David! There's about 5 inches on the ground and it's not supposed to get above freezing until Saturday. I believe it's been 14 years since we've had a white Christmas here in central Arkansas.

I'm sure it's hard for those that live up north to understand the excitement...but it's a cool thing for us.

Actually ... the UK is shaping up for what might be a significant now event over the next 48 hours and a white Christmas is now widly forecast.

In all my 38 years I have never seen a white Christmas in the Uk - but more important to me is the real risk of thunder snow!

Forecast assents over the Irish Sea (the bit between Irleand and Wales / England are showing some -40C @ 500mb - all this over a +10C SST gives way to some large laspe rates.

In fact the temp differnce may even spawn a polar low !!!

Yeah, this is crazy. This is the first Christmas I can remember that there isn't at least some old crusty snow on the ground. No snow here. Just subzero temps and frozen dirt....

Here in NM, this is my first Christmas west of the eastern time zone since 1983, and we have a few inches of snow on the ground. I have spent the last 17 or so Christmases in either Cleveland or central PA, though, so it was nearly always a white one for me.

I thought this might be a little warmer Christmas than up in the rust belt, but noooooo.....lol; the low last night was -2F!

What really blew me away was checking metars last night.

I lived 9 years in Trinidad CO, and I don't think that during that time I saw it get below 0 more than a handful of times.

Last night, KTAD recorded a temp of -17F. The old record (for the date) was -1. Whoa. And at the same time, as I recall, no station in ND reported a temp below 0. Weird.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Bob

We had below zero temperatures last night here in Omaha, and I'm having trouble remembering when it was last above freezing, but unless you count the chunks of ice floating down the Missouri River, we're having a delightfully Brown Christmas.

Kind of funny when you consider I recently moved here from Fort Worth, which IS having a White Christmas (well, sort of, given any snow still on the ground from Wednesday).

I was going to complain about the fact that we got no snow here in southeast Kansas while it snowed down south, but if you guys up in Nebraska and Wisconsin are having a snowless Christmas as well, then I guess your lack of snow is a bigger deal than mine. Then again, where does the gulf coast get off having a a winter storm warning with heavy snow on Christmas eve? LOL, looks like it could be the first white Christmas on record for Houston...

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/hgx/climate/holidays/xmas.htm

Merry Christmas everyone

Blake Allen

From a CRP PNS:

VICTORIA COUNTY...5-7 INCHES OF SNOW WITH HEAVY SNOW CONTINUING WITH RATES UP TO 2-3 INCHES PER HOUR. ROADS SNOW PACKED.

More:

A POWERFUL UPPER LEVEL LOW WILL CONTINUE TO CROSS THE REGION
OVERNIGHT AND RESULT IN OCCASIONAL SNOW. THE SNOW WILL OCCASIONALLY
FALL HEAVILY AT TIMES AND ACCUMULATE BETWEEN 5 AND 10 INCHES WITH
LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS WEST OF A PREMONT TO MATHIS TO DACOSTA LINE.

10" with locally higher amounts? WOW. I guess it's all that Gulf moisture. This is really an unprecedented event to begin with, but to have it happen on Christmas Eve is quite the coincidence.

When I left Green Bay on Tuesday there was a good 4-5 inches of snow on the ground. As I headed south the snow became less and less-when I reached home in Stoughton there were only a few little frozen patches here and there.

However...on Christmas morning I woke up to snow coming down, with nearly a half inch on the ground. It continued to snow off and on through most of the day-we ended up with close to an inch-not significant by any means but at least the ground is white. :) How'd you fare Alex?

We got a nice surprise snow yesterday too. A few flurries started falling in the morning, and then it started snowing harder in the afternoon, and continued into the night. We ended up with about an inch of 20:1 ratio snow. Not significant by any means, but you could tell it really brightened the holiday for everyone. Enough to whiten everything up, yet the roads weren't too bad... :D

Genuine South Texas Snow for sale

Would you like to buy some snow? LOL I heard lastnight on the news that over Christmas someone tried to sell South Texas snow on Ebay!! :lol: Whoever it was, he got zero bids. Probably a supply & demand thing :)

Back