ChaserCon 2016

Roger and Caryn Hill have posted on Facebook and revealed that ChaserCon 2016 will likely be held at the Embassy Suites in Norman, OK on the weekend of January 22-24, 2016. They have posted a long facebook post here which is quoted below:

2016 BIG NEWS!!!!! We are finishing our contract with the Embassy Suites hotel and convention center in Norman, Oklahoma! We will be doing Chasercon a bit earlier, getting it away from Valentines day and Presidents Day weekend. The dates we are looking at are 22-24 January, 2016. What we need to know before we finish this is 1) would you attend, 2) would you be spending the nights at the hotel? 3) How do you feel this will be supported locally? Caryn and I put our own personal finances at risk by doing this and since this is a FIRST in OKC, we have to guarantee numbers for the hotel. Any shortage of what we guarantee we personally are responsible for. Any help by answering these questions would be appreciated!

What are your thoughts? Who will be there? I'm extremely excited to have a ChaserCon in my back yard for once. Denver was getting old for me, and I think it definitely deserved a change of scenery.

If there are topics that actually cover storm-chase related information I'll be pleased. I don't need to know how to take better pictures, sell more footage, or how to maintain a good social media presence. Those would be good workshop topics but as the general agenda I don't like it. I didn't attend ChaserCon this year and know you didn't either Ben. I'm excited to see it moving to Norman in 2016 and I have little doubt it will end up being a record attendance. One concern is conference fees since the Embassy Suites isn't a cheap venue.

It isn't, but it sounds like the more people they can guarantee the cheaper it will be. I like that, as I think they can sell that place out.

I honestly wouldn't be opposed to talking about something technical, be it how to wordpress/website or just general chasing technology.

I would also like @David Hoadley to speak at Chasercon again. He spoke in 2008 and I found his talk very informative. I don't believe he's talked since then at ChaserCon, and he has a wealth of information to share, even if it's more old school.

It isn't, but it sounds like the more people they can guarantee the cheaper it will be. I like that, as I think they can sell that place out.

I honestly wouldn't be opposed to talking about something technical, be it how to wordpress/website or just general chasing technology.

I would also like @David Hoadley to speak at Chasercon again. He spoke in 2008 and I found his talk very informative. I don't believe he's talked since then at ChaserCon, and he has a wealth of information to share, even if it's more old school.

I wouldn't be opposed to some technical topics but I don't need to hear about how to successfully run social media or how to edit pictures. Perhaps some sort of a workshop environment would be better for those topics. Either way I'm excited to see what the 2016 ChaserCon will bring. I don't think they'll have any issues filling that place up assuming it doesn't get hit by a wedge this spring.

The move to Norman and away from February means that I'll probably be able to make it this year, for my first one! That Embassy Suites is very nice; my husband and I stayed there for a couple nights in 2013. We would definitely stay there again. Glad to hear about the changed time/location!

Assuming I haven't moved away from Norman by then (if everything goes according to plan with my PhD and job situation, I will), I would certainly attend seeing as it would occur about 1 mile (by street) from my residence. I have not been to a ChaserCon yet.

ADD: I saw a large portion of Brandon Sullivan's talk from this year's chasercon about how to use NWP models when forecasting for a chase. I thought it was a pretty good presentation and full of good technical information. I thought of some topics I could've expanded upon, but they're very advanced and probably would go over the head of many attendees since I'll bet many don't have meteorology degrees.

I am so glad that it has moved to a different location and date. The President's Day weekend timing has been associated with very high airfares. I would also take some heat because of Valentine's Day. I think the Norman location will be great and there will be more opportunities for corporate/media sponsors to help bring the costs down. I hope ot attend.

Bill Hark

I'll be there. It's always been an issue of either cost or time to attend (2014 I had the money but not the time, this year was the opposite). So having it this close to me, even if i were to get laid off and somehow end up back in the Tulsa area, is nice. As it stands now, I'll have about a 35-45 minute drive. I'll know for sure tomorrow after making essentially that exact drive.

@Jeff Duda I think we really could use some more advanced topics. I eventually would like to see ChaserCon go into breakout sessions like other conventions I've been to. Have a room for advanced chasing, a room for beginners, a room for technical stuff and get a whole plethora of speakers for each room. Then my experience at ChaserCon might be different than someone who is new to chasing like @Ashley Poling but we can all reconvene for the keynote.

I'll definitely go. As for staying in the hotel, it all depends on how much. If the entire package deal is cheap enough, I'll swing it. If they want a lot for each night, I'll look for a cheap hotel or even sleep in my car. Looking forward to it regardless!

OK - I just realized they are talking about filling rooms at the hotel rather than general conference attendance/registration fees? That *could* be an issue - I'd imagine there will be a huge local turnout for an OKC-held convention, placing the hotel burden squarely on out-of-towners. The idea (I thought) behind having it in OKC is to make it affordable for more to attend, I guess we'll have to get an idea of how many rooms the hotel wants filled and what type of per-night rates we're talking about.

Back