Chase Vehicle Setup

Here is my vehicle:

4083984400_6bed721e2c_b.jpg

Icom dual bander, 800 and VHF scanners, Cobra CB, Cannon digital camcorder with a dash mount.

I carry 2 DSLR's, a Nikon D60 and a Nikon D80 with assorted lenses for both. Nothing exciting or extravagant but fun none the less. The roof rack is going away though to help improve gas milage and I'm fabricating a hitch mounted basket to haul alot of my stuff that can be outside. Im also adding a mount on the front bumper above the driving lights for a Go Light similar to what D. Hayes has way up top of his roof rack.

Last edited by a moderator:
PICT0050.jpg

Genuine GM grill guard & NERF bars! These where supposed to go on the 2001 Blazer Extreme but where discontinued before ever reaching the market. I bought mine from a scrap metal company in Michigan and have only seen one other example of these accessories in use.

Inside: The required laptop with Jotto mount & dash cam, Kenwood TM-D710 / AvMap G5 APRS system, PSR-600 scanner, rescue / response / med kits.

Hey, how'd you manage that? Do they allow you to purchase a Droid at full cost and then hook it to a legacy Alltel plan? Or do you live in one of the few places on the earth where Alltel still exists? I've been sticking with my old WinMo phone because I can tether it to a Cradlepoint and I don't want to switch to the Verizon 5 gig limit.

I was on the alltel plan before the buy out and I was able to stay on that plan with when I bought the new phone. No way I want to loose unlimited data since I use my internet connection a lot being in the military.

Ryan-

Brian is correct. Boondocks sold their business off since his demand out grew his business. Good call since it really sucks to see a good business go into a bad business since they could no longer keep up with orders. I need to get a hold of them to see if he'll do some more custom work for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
... Im also adding a mount on the front bumper above the driving lights for a Go Light similar to what D. Hayes has way up top of his roof rack.

Don't get the spotlight version, the beam is way too tight IMO. They do make retrofit kits for about $50 to change them from spot to flood. I plan to do that sooner or later.

Got to admit, your truck is very nice. I'd love to have something like that since I have to be very aware of wind direction.

We use those spotlights on the Patrol vehicles of the company I work for. They're really narrow in my opinion, they work well for our uses (general security). I do like the fact that they're remote activated though. For general lighting I like my setup on my jeep. 130w bulbs in customized 20 dollar lights from wally world. What's everyone run for emergency lighting?

ya, in nebraska we're not allowed to run reds unless we're responding to fire/rescue calls. amber is the general accepted color for security and things of that type of occupation. I need to talk to my father (A deputy for our local sheriffs office) about the local lighting laws in nebraska before i do anything.

Don't get the spotlight version, the beam is way too tight IMO. They do make retrofit kits for about $50 to change them from spot to flood. I plan to do that sooner or later.

Got to admit, your truck is very nice. I'd love to have something like that since I have to be very aware of wind direction.

Good to know, thanks for the info guys. I was looking at the Unity Spotlights like you would see of a police car however for the S-10 it mounts to the door/window pilliar (physically to the door) and not to the A-pillar. I'm a bit leary about this because I don't know what the durability of the light is going to be long term opening and closing the door umpteen millions times.

Brian, what exactly are you wanting the spot light for? If you just want a wide beam bright light that doesn't interfere with wind measuring tools I can suggest an actual bar built for "next-gen" rock crawlers. I'll see if i can't find it again, when i saw it, it looked to be about 2 inches tall and can mount almost flush to your roof depending on the curve. it also has what i call "takedown" or "alley" lights. Plenty of different setups that they had displayed, different angles and they would change the colors with em. I'm into lighting and electronics, done a few different bars for the VFD guys here.

Brian, what exactly are you wanting the spot light for? If you just want a wide beam bright light that doesn't interfere with wind measuring tools I can suggest an actual bar built for "next-gen" rock crawlers. I'll see if i can't find it again, when i saw it, it looked to be about 2 inches tall and can mount almost flush to your roof depending on the curve. it also has what i call "takedown" or "alley" lights. Plenty of different setups that they had displayed, different angles and they would change the colors with em. I'm into lighting and electronics, done a few different bars for the VFD guys here.

It is more for a "just incase I need it" kinda thing more or less. The lights that were on the roof rack were angled on the sides and lit the ditches if I were to stop in my POV on a call. Not looking to spend a ton of money and the bars I think you are refering to I have seen and are very cool but a fortune.

It is basically a tool that if I need it, I have it.

Those are almost exactly what we run on our Patrol SUVS, only they were wired to plug into a port on the roof. i dont remember how exactly they were wired. Theyre not a bad light, just a lil too narrow to use for a driving light, as for a spotlight, they work great

Seeing Kluck's truck reminds me that I use to love those. Built like a tank, and tons of mechanical upgrades. Motor was a little heavy on gas, but about the same as my Subaru...and the S-10/Blazer is going to get through a lot more than ANY Subaru! I've been considering dumping the Scoobie and going back to the Chevy platform, although I'd like the 4 door version. They are getting old now though...which has been why I didn't go after one this last time when looking for a new chase/daily vehicle. I've wondered if parts and lasting ability is still there?

Seeing Kluck's truck reminds me that I use to love those. Built like a tank, and tons of mechanical upgrades. Motor was a little heavy on gas, but about the same as my Subaru...and the S-10/Blazer is going to get through a lot more than ANY Subaru! I've been considering dumping the Scoobie and going back to the Chevy platform, although I'd like the 4 door version. They are getting old now though...which has been why I didn't go after one this last time when looking for a new chase/daily vehicle. I've wondered if parts and lasting ability is still there?

I love the Blazers. I have made a number of engine and computer mods to mine and with the roof rack off (even with those big tires) I have bested 22.5 mpg on the highway, now that is not super by any means but good for this truck. I average 17 to 18 around town. My truck has 110,000 miles on it and runs like new. Maintenance is the key though, the 4.3's go through ignition parts faster than most engines and keeping a proper tune is key to a good running 4.3 and good gas millage. If there is a major draw back it is that these trucks are prone to cancer (rust). Nothing that cant be taken care of though with a bit of body work.

I love this particular truck because i can go into nearly any parts store in any town and get parts for it if there is a problem on a trip. Lots of interchangeable parts with the L31 (V8) from the full size trucks and just plain easy to fix. It is easy to work on and like Jason mentioned they are built pretty beefy for a smaller SUV. The ZR2 is even more so with a larger frame, rear end (8.625" rear vs. the 7.5 to 8.5" rear that most had), 3.73 gears, heavier duty suspension components and increased ground clearance. It is a bit low on power compared to most small SUV's but not a big deal to me. If I wanted speed Id spot/chase with a Z06 Vette' :)

I'm currently helpin a friend fix a ZR2 blazer that we got for free. came as partial payment for a job we did. Needs quite a bit under the hood, but it seems like itll be nice once its runnin. Im not a chevy fan by any means but this one looks to be pretty decent. Itll get sold for transmission money as soon as its done though.

Back