Chase Vehicle Setup

Most people here seem to have scanners. Do they work well for chasing, and would you recommend one?

I'm currently driving a 2008 Kia Sportage 4X4 completely naked of extra equipment, though I do plan to add to it over the next few years.

Most people here seem to have scanners. Do they work well for chasing, and would you recommend one?

I'm currently driving a 2008 Kia Sportage 4X4 completely naked of extra equipment, though I do plan to add to it over the next few years.

They can be employed in a few different ways. You can monitor the NOAA Wx frequencies, HAM repeaters for a given area and simplex freqs, public safety and whatever else you think might give you the info you're looking for.

For some folks this is the only radio they need.

I am currently driving a 1987 AMC Eagle Wagon with no extra equipment at the moment. I plan on acquiring it over the next year or so.
101_0445.JPG
101_0437.JPG

My stealth, ghetto set-up : )

Nice ride! Wouldn't want to hit any hail out there though...

Seriously though, you need to strap that laptop down somehow. One setup I used for a while was simply a homemade "desk" that was nothing more than some wood that sat flat on the passenger seat. It had velcro on it (and the laptop) and kept the laptop from flying around during turns etc.

Your laptop looks ready for flight the first time you need to hit the brake pedal... :)

Brake pedal? What brake pedal? :)

I hear you on the laptop. Actually when I was chasing I'd remove the books underneath the laptop and it would kind of hunker down in the cat bed and not slide around. Seems silly but it was the best I could do on the spot at Walmart and it actually worked ok. Obviously not the best for ventilation, etc.

And yes, I'd try to avoid the large hail as much as possible. I could make rather quick getaways though. ;)

It wasn't bad chasing in that car, though I won't be doing it anymore. Being from PA, the drive to and from the midwest, along with chasing mileage, got to be a bit much last season. 5000 miles in a week is just too hard. This year I will be flying out.

Here are some pics from my chase vehicle,2003 Jeep Liberty.Asus laptop with external screen to run GPS and radar at the same time.External screen swivels in case the driver or backseat passanger wants to see.

Attachments

• chase vehicle 004.jpg
    chase vehicle 004.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 310
  • chase vehicle 018.jpg
    chase vehicle 018.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 275
Here are some pics from my chase vehicle,2003 Jeep Liberty.Asus laptop with external screen to run GPS and radar at the same time.External screen swivels in case the driver or backseat passanger wants to see.

Love that dual screen setup. Did you find a 12v monitor or are you using an inverter?

The Bumblebee

My chase truck, The Bumblebee. A 2006 Dodge Dakota with a 3.7L V6. Equipped with scanner, CB with 15W PA, Yaesu FT7800 Dual Band ham. Inspeed whirlygig, Laptop with GR3, Digital Atmosphere software, and Baron XM WX. LED Lights.

Attachments

• odds and ends 264.jpg
    odds and ends 264.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 311
  • odds and ends 251.jpg
    odds and ends 251.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 278
  • odds and ends 266.jpg
    odds and ends 266.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 271
My chase truck, The Bumblebee. A 2006 Dodge Dakota with a 3.7L V6. Equipped with scanner, CB with 15W PA, Yaesu FT7800 Dual Band ham. Inspeed whirlygig, Laptop with GR3, Digital Atmosphere software, and Baron XM WX. LED Lights.

Did you make that console or buy it somewhere?

Who else has to clean out their car before taking a current picture...:D

I want to show my interior set-up, but I'm a little embarrassed to take the picture right now.

Back