Buy your own Chase Reality TV show?

Looks like the bidding is up to $110,000 now.

Wow, if I had $110,000 to waste on such an endeavour, I suppose I could:

a)spend several hundred dollars on a .45 and shoot myself in the head.
b)leave over $109,500 for my family to use after my demise.

Suicide is a lot cheaper. But I guess if you want to go out in style and you have the money, taking the ride into the tornado may be the way to go.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with this vehicle or any TIV is not the issue of how much wind the vehicle can withstand in an air tunnel. It is the debris within the tornado that would cause problems. You get a tree or piece of roof the hits the vehicle and stays, the surface area dramatically increases...then more and more debris hitting the car until it reaches it's maximum roll factor. Then bye-bye vehicle!! :cry:
How often do you get a tornado with no debris....yea, this little endeavor is a disaster waiting to happen. :cry:

But I guess if you want to go out in style and you have the money, taking the ride into the tornado may be the way to go.

You know, that would be a good way to go out with a bang. No one would even know you committed suicide. I can hear it now: "The storm chaser made a tragic mistake and drove right into the tornado." Beats blowing your brains out, I suppose.

Anyway, on the subject, I can't help but wonder how many of those bids are shill bids. Also, why the heck is the starting bid $100,000 with a freaking reserve??? $20,000 says they don't even have a car. But if someone actually bids on it, they'll use that money to build a car and pocket a nice profit.

The saddest thing

The saddest thing to me is that currently, at $117,000, they haven't yet hit their reserve!!!!! I think, as someone said earlier, this is a publicity stunt.

James

Re: The saddest thing

The saddest thing to me is that currently, at $117,000, they haven't yet hit their reserve!!!!! I think, as someone said earlier, this is a publicity stunt.

Just compare their "Scientific Study" web page...

http://www.tornadoattack.com/study.htm

With the "Media Opportunities" and "Sponsorhips" pages...

http://www.tornadoattack.com/media.htm
http://www.tornadoattack.com/sponsor.htm

It's pretty clear that their motives are purely profit driven.

Now that being said, I have no inherent problem with the BASIC concept of what they are doing. This is America, and as long as you can make a buck or two without harming or unconsentually exploiting someone else or their property, more power to you. What always bothers me the most about endeavors like this, however, is how they always try to thinly cloak themselves in some sort of "scientific motive."

As one would expect, their "goals" (http://www.tornadoattack.com/goal.htm) are a short laundry list of vague bullet points (i.e., To track scientific data from the immediate surroundings and inside atmosphere of a tornado) without giving any specifics in regards to what type of data they propose to collect, how it is to be collected and how they propose it will be useful to the scientific community.

I could at least have some respect for what they are doing if they'd just come out and be honest and truthful about their motives: Fifteen minutes of fame and a few dollars.

Regards,

Mike

The reserve will never be met. Notice how they will accept Paypal as a payment. There's no way they would let Ebay and paypal have their fees for a completed auction at that price. I'm sure they set reserve out of reach and will contact highest bidder to work out a deal after the auction ends. I like how the current high bidder has a feedback of 11 after buying big ticket items like $0.99 pool table brushes. I'm sure he'll just write a check...

Winning Bidder Must be 18 Years of age or Older and will have to Sign an extreme "Hold Harmless" Agreement for Liability Purposes.
Do they have to talk everything up?

I can't see this being any more able to withstand a tornado than an ordinary car.

Can you imagine any contract which would hold them completely blameless? How would you word such a thing?

"I, the undersigned, place my life in your hands. I know I am probably going to be killed by flying debris. Although YOU sold me this opportunity to die, YOU put me in YOUR car and drove me to the place I'd die, and YOU sold me on the lie that there was no danger, I hold you completely blameless. My life insurance is paid up, and my family will be paid nicely after my death (which I want to say is not YOUR fault)."

Seriously, is it possible to draw up a contract which will hold these people blameless in the eyes of the law?

As many have said above “ the reserve will never be reachedâ€. This is nothing more than publicity. I’m sure their hoping Good Morning America, or one of the mainstream news agencies, picks up on this.
We all know how hard it is to actually “catch†a tornado. Many new chasers take several years to see one, experienced ones may catch 10 – 15, and full time chasers or researchers might get 20+ in a good, Umm no, great season.
But hey, with an Elite World Class Staff of Meteorologist putting you on 50 some tor’s a year, how hard could it be to just drive into one? If the DOW can routinely setup within 1-2 miles of tornadic storms, and Tim S. can manage to successfully place stationary probes into 2 tornados, why can’t this crack team manage to place this guy into a tornado? Simply setup on a perpendicular road and floor it. Out of 50+ tor’s there should have been at least a couple of marginal opportunities, don’t you think? Why? Because (imo) they never intend to, its just marketing and publicity. I can see it now … Twister Racing Parts… Tornado Tested … We’ll Wisk You To The Finish Line … Blow away the Competition ....

This is nothing more than publicity. I’m sure their hoping Good Morning America, or one of the mainstream news agencies, picks up on this.

LMAO......with the PR nightmare chasing is having these days....that'd be the LAST thing I'd hope for.

Little boys with a BIG Nascar dream. I'd suggest keeping Nascar where it belongs......on the tracks and in the wet dreams of said little boys. >Yawn<

KR

Little boys with a BIG Nascar dream. I'd suggest keeping Nascar where it belongs......on the tracks and in the wet dreams of said little boys. >Yawn<

Actually, I've seen IMCA late models with better aerodynamic properties than this vehicle they've built. Forget NASCAR, that vehicle would barely pass muster on a 1/4 mile dirt bull ring. :)

Regards,

Mike

Definately a SCAM! No doubt they're full of crap on their record number of tornadoes as I was on many of the tornado producing storms last year and the only INTERCEPT vehicle I saw was Bushrag! :lol:

Back