Aurora Alert Oct 10-11, 2024

I did end up going out Thursday night. Missed the bigger 9PM CDT substorm, like @JamesCaruso because my wife and I also had another event that evening which we did not get out of until after 9. However after driving around for 45 minutes looking for a spot in rural western Dane County that actually had somewhat of a view of the northern sky (not blocked by a tree-lined ridge) and waiting around while nothing much seemed to be happening, eventually a faint glow appeared in the northern sky and gradually brightened; ended up capturing these during the 11PM hour:

101024_NorthernLights_01.jpg101024_NorthernLights_02.jpg101024_NorthernLights_05.jpg101024_NorthernLights_11.jpg

Also, according to the info below my avatar, Thursday was my 20th anniversary as a member of Stormtrack! I joined when I was 18!

Here are a few of my pics from Thursday night's show in northeast Kansas. The first one is from at work in Topeka around 9:15, while the other two are from the old Buck Creek School north of Lawrence around 11:40. Overall it was as much as I could have possibly hoped for in Kansas. The May 10 event may have been slightly brighter, but cloud cover wasn't an issue this time and I had a much better plan in place to capture it. The red/pink colors were easily visible to the naked eye during the brighter substorms.

800_2361-2.jpg800_2400-2.jpg800_2412-2.jpg

I've not had an opportunity to go through any of my pics yet. Saw one of the early substorms at my GF's dad's house before I had to head home. Then, after I got home, the next substorm ramped up, and I was able to see it with the naked eye even in town. I'm not far from downtown, and I never would have thought it would be visible at my house.

Back