Attention all Sony camcorder fans!

Sony has announced their new best-of-breed camcorder. B&H just sent me a note to the same effect.
Personally, it is probably a great unit that is capable of doing low-light situations - like its predecessor. I can't afford it, but I appreciate what it can do.

I'm not going to buy a camcorder until the consumer-grade camcorders can do low-light situations; and can do it for less that six hundred bucks. Wishful thinking? Maybe; time will tell.

From what I have gathered from members of STORMTRACK, they aren't pleased with the current consumer-grade camcorders (<$1000) when it comes to the demands of storm chasing. Heck, I'm working as hard as I an to get my still camera chops right - not to mention my forecasting skills up to par. Learning how to operate a videocam to its fullest AND be capable of quality post production seems to be a least a year or more in my future.

But for those who are ready to make the change to pro-quality videos; then this SONY unit is without peer - except for the Canon equivalent.
Question is: which is better?
AND : What are the features that count the most - especially in <$1000 bracket?
Its YOUR money; where is it most wisely spent for storm chasing needs?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/find/newsLetter/HDR-FX1000.jsp

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting - unfortunately it is a CMOS chip camera, which means lightning is pretty much out of the question with it. I am curious how the low light sensitivity has improved. If it's not by much, I think the FX1 may still be the better choice at just $100 more. That gives you lightning functionality. (Their $500 difference is not correct, at least the article says the FX1000 will run $3,199, but the FX1 is $3,299 on B&H.)

Agree with Dan. Too bad that manufacturers are moving to CMOS with the rolling shutters. I'll stick with my FX-1 until Sony comes up with a cost effective compressionless HD recorder...to move away from HDV.

I imagine one can still grab an FX-1 these days..

Tim

Back