A server error has occurred.....

I get server error messages when trying to make posts with images in them. Only posts with images. Non-image posts do not do this.

Oddly enough, the post appears if I hit refresh, but all the text is still in the post box, and I have to manually delete it. It's super-wicked annoying. Any idea what causes this?

Thanks for the report Dean. This has been and is at the top of my list of forum issues that just keep recurring. I just disabled the offending add-on that keeps showing up with errors, so hopefully it should fix the issue for now. I’m going to contact our support person and schedule some time where we can look at this in depth and solve it once and for all. Attachments are like a yippee dog that keeps barking at my heels, so I feel your pain. Please be patient until I repost that we have it fixed - hopefully for good!

Test
300px-NSSL_vehicles_on_Project_Vortex.jpg

58DDE575-838B-4AA5-A6C1-9E264545690E.png

Okay I think I have a handle on what’s happening. Is this the front end error you’re seeing?

We have an addon that rehosts images locally so when websites go offline or URLs change we don’t wind up with posts that have tons of broken images. When I have the addon enabled it works fine when using the native attachment system built-in to Xenforo. I can attach image after image without issue. Where the problem arises is when a user attempts to wrap an image in tags using the code found in many of today’s image hosting sites. You’ll often see these to the side of the image and there’ll be several options to choose from, most notably ones labeled for forum usage. An example would be when copying the link URL from a site like Imgur such as this: https://i.imgur.com/nybfr8D.jpg. Wrap it in IMG tags with our addon disabled and it works fine. Trying it with the addon enabled generates the above error message.

After reviewing the addon options there is one we use called “Use Attachments”, which allows the addon to work with the native Xenforo attachment system. Using this allows us to manage the attachments whereas turning it off puts us right back in the boat of losing images over time as described above. In other words, it defeats the purpose of what we’re trying to do and that is preserve content as the forum ages in the future.

My best advice is to download any images you want to post to the forum locally, attach them when creating your post, then delete them if you don’t want it on your personal storage or hard drive. I don’t believe this addon is going to be updated to work with Xenforo version 2, so for the interim that’s the best advice I can give you. We’ll have to explore other alternatives once we upgrade to XF2, which isn’t that far off. Please let me know if you have any questions regarding the above.

Back