5W Viola: 20 mile path / 70 yds wide / Low F2 (100-120mph) :Bloom City

Waupaca County-
2.2SW New London: .3 mile path / 40 yds wide / F0 : 2SW New London

Waushara County-
5SSW Wautoma: 1.5 mile path / 80 yds wide / F0

Winnebago County-
2SW Neenah: .25 mile path / F0

Will update as surveys are completed...

I wouldn't be shocked if that was upgraded to F4. Time will tell. I did see some very impressive damage images over the past 12 hours.

Certainly was an incredible storm...long tracked Wisconsin Supercell. Looking through the Significant Tornado book one would gather that this is one of the more impressive August outbreaks for Wisconsin.

No mention of the QRT that's dispatched for tornado damage assessment that appears to be of the violent nature (F4-F5).
Pretty sure there is no funding for the QRT any more due to the present NWS fiscal situation. I'm on the QRT, along with Don Burgess, and we just discussed this this morning. No calls all year for us. That's not to say they may have called other members (there are 20 in all).

Some research, I did on F3, F4, and F5 tornadoes in Wisconsin for August.

F4 Tornadoes in August: 1950-2004 for Wisconsin:
08-22-64 F4 Ozaukee County, 30 injured.
08-19-68 F4 Marinette County, 2 killed, 3 injured

F3 Tornadoes in August: 1950-2004 for Wisconsin:
08-16-63 F3 Columbia County, 13 injured
08-02-67 F3 Dane County, 2 killed, 5 injured
08-29-92 F3 Washara County, 1 killed, 30 injured
08-23-98 F3 Door County, 2 injured

For some reason, COD text products links to individual text messages, do not stay up for a long period of time, this is why I posted the whole thing
PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT...RESENT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WI 438 PM CDT FRI AUG 19 2005

..PRELIMINARY INFORMATION ON THE STOUGHTON TORNADO

SURVEY TEAMS FROM THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN OFFICE HAVE MADE A PRELIMINARY DETERMINATION OF THE STRENGTH AND PATH LENGTH OF THE STOUGHTON TORNADO.

THE TORNADO APPEARED TO HAVE FIRST TOUCHED DOWN AT APPROXIMATELY 615 PM CDT IN THE FISH CREEK SUBDIVISION IN THE TOWNSHIP OF DUNN...WEST OF THE TOWN OF DUNN...ABOUT 5 MILES NORTHWEST OF STOUGHTON.

THE TORNADO TRAVELED AN ESTIMATED 12 TO 15 MILES THROUGH STOUGHTON... LIFTING OFF APPROXIMATELY 7 MILES EAST-NORTHEAST OF STOUGHTON.

THE PRELIMINARY FUJITA SCALE RATING IS AN F-3...WITH ESTIMATED WINDS OF UP TO 200 MPH.

THE DAMAGE PATH APPEARED TO BE 1/2 MILE WIDE.
Mike
http://efchasing.blogspot.com/

...UPDATE ON STORM SURVEYS...

DUE TO THE EXTENSIVE AREA THAT HAD TO BE SURVEYED AND THE AMOUNT OF INFORMATION THAT HAS TO BE PROCESSED...FINAL TORNADO STATISTICS WILL NOT BE RELEASED UNTIL SOMETIME SATURDAY AFTERNOON.

...HERE IS WHAT WE KNOW THUS FAR...

DANE COUNTY... THE TORNADO IN THE STOUGHTON AREA WAS RATED AN F3. ONLY ONE TORNADO WAS CONFIRMED AT THIS TIME FOR DANE COUNTY.

JEFFERSON COUNTY... FIVE TORNADOES AROUND THE FORT ATKINSON AREA WERE CONFIRMED.

WALWORTH/RACINE COUNTY... NO TORNADOES WERE VERIFIED.

IOWA...SAUK...COLUMBIA...AND MARQUETTE COUNTIES... STORM SURVEYS ARE STILL ON GOING AT THIS TIME.

$$

When you don't take into account the tornadoes that MKX has not surveyed or completed surveys on yet...we are already around 20 tornadoes which is nearing a daily record which was set on May 8 1988 in the Mother's Day Outbreak (total of 24). That same date holds the record for most tornadoes in Iowa in a day and I believe over 57 tornadoes in all occurred. My facts should be pretty straight on that.

...Alex Lamers...

Guys, the images and overall the video of the monster arrived also in Italy television!Crazy and huge tornado.
I can't believe that thre's nota videotape on the web...

Anyone got the video?

Just totaled it up more thoroughly and based on PNS's so far, this was a 19-tornado day (in Wisconsin only). However, this does not include a definite tornado in Columbia County and a possible/probable one in Sauk Co. Additional tornadoes may be found here and there but for NOW it seems the all time daily record is safe. Nonetheless it was a historic outbreak.

...Alex Lamers...

I know this is a lot to ask, but does anyone have SPC Mesoanalysis Maps from the outbreak (like sig tornado potential, supercell potential, etc.)?

Thanks! :D

Top 5 Tornado Days in Wisconsin...
1) May 8 1988 - 24 Tornadoes
2) July 3, 1983 - 22 Tornadoes
3) June 8, 1993 - 18 Tornadoes
3) August 18, 2005 - 18 Tornadoes (preliminary)
5) June 23, 2004 - 17 Tornadoes

The 30 year normal /1971-2000/ for tornadoes in Wisconsin is 21 per year. The year of 1980 had the greatest state total with 43 tornadoes.

NWS

TORNADO OUTBREAK
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/mkx/document/tor/081805.php

Are there statistics available online somewhere on the number of tornadoes this year, by state? (Seems to me there are, but I can't remember where.) Wisconsin has had several smaller outbreaks earlier this year, so I would guess that 1) the record for tornadoes in a year in Wisconsin is in jeopardy, if not already broken, and 2) Wisconsin must account for a large proportion of the tornadoes nationwide this year.

BTW, congratulations Scott and Mark on a great catch of the Stoughton tornado, and thanks, Scott, for posting the link to the pics by locals - a lot of nice shots there!

Back