8/19 Central Kansas Tornadoes Assessment

From a damage assessment from the ICT NWSFO, there were 5 confirmed tornadoes in and around the Great Bend area yesterday (Friday)... http://kamala.cod.edu/offs/KICT/0508201849.nous43.html

+ 8 mi W of Great Bend -- brief touchdown in field -- F0

+ SW of Great Bend -- brief touchdown -- F0

+ 5 mi NE of Great Bend -- 4 mile path length -- F1

+ 1 mi S of Bushton -- brief touchdown -- presumably F0

+ 4 mi SW of Geneseo -- brief touchdown -- presumably F0

I don't have any radar images stored, but the velocity images from KICT radar of this storm were very impressive. Now, the most interesting part of the PNS, IMO:

THE SECOND BRIEF TORNADO WAS TOUCHED DOWN SOUTHWEST OF GREAT BEND, AND LIFTED AS IT APPROACHED THE AIRPORT. IT WAS ALSO RATED A F0. AT 414 PM, 74 MPH WINDS WERE MEASURED AT THE AIRPORT. EXTENSIVE DAMAGE TO THE HANGERS AT THE AIRPORT WAS OBSERVED. THIS THUNDERSTORM TRACKED ACROSS THE CITY OF GREAT BEND, AND PRODUCED A THREE BLOCK WIDE SWATH OF EXTENSIVE TREE DAMAGE. MUCH OF THE STRUCTURAL DAMAGE
IN GREAT BEND WAS A RESULT OF FALLING LIMBS AND TREES. THERE WAS ALSO A REPORT FROM A STORM CHASER LOCATED IN GREAT BEND WHO MEASURED 114 MPH WINDS FOR 93 SECONDS.

I haven't heard a firsthand report of these winds, so I assume that it was nobody on this board that measured the 114mph winds for 93 seconds. I assume those winds were associated with the RFD given the proximity of the damage described relative to the meso (or at least where the tornado was located)... Anyone know who the chaser is? That's some remarkable non-tornadic winds, especially when measured (I assume on an on-vehicle anemometer).

Back