8/13/04 NOW: Charley [Florida]

I should say the 129 m.p.h. was NOT near Tampa Bay it was south of there sorry if there was any confusion

Never seen wording like this in a TOR...

AT 642 PM EDT...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HAS ISSUED A TORNADO
WARNING FOR DESTRUCTIVE WINDS OVER 100 MPH AND TORNADOES IN THE
EYE WALL AND INNER RAIN BANDS OF HURRICANE CHARLEY.

Anyone watching Tampa Bays weather service radar? My gosh you can still see a well defined eyed (small) on there. The eyewall still looks impressive!!

Charley has it's sights on Orlando!! My thoughts about the "tornado warning" is the destruction of the winds that are more widespread and maybe using the word tornado is more "threatening" as if a hurricane isn't threatening huh?

So out of courosity, why doesn't the SPC upgrade the area to High Risk?

Wouldn't want to be down there.

The ball is still better-suited in NHC's arena than SPC, in regards to the wind damage. Additionally, many tropical tornadoes are weak and short-lived, though this is obviously not always the case. High risks issued for tornado potential (meaning not those high risks issued for derecho/wind damage potential) require there to be the risk for strong/violent tornadoes... I don't think I've ever seen anything but a slight for tornadoes when tropical systems have come onland... I'd imagine that there'd be times when a mdt risk would be technically verifiable in terms of tornado reports, but I think there's too much unpredictability in this. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Slightly off this topic, but related....

NHC is forecasting a new hurricane (now Tropical Depression 5)
to be near Jamaica next Wednesday.

New thread?

Mike

New thread?

Mike

I believe we don't start a thread until they are actually a named storm, so once it reaches a tropical storm and given a name by the NHC, I don't think we will create a thread.

Although.. very interesting to see both TD 4 and 5 on the same day.. All on Friday 13.. :)

New thread?

Mike

LOL I started a new thread a few hours ago...

EDIT: Nevermind... Someone deleted it... :? So I guess the answer is - No, you cannot start a new thread about TD5...

Sarasota has fared rather well...just a few trees and power poles down. No info from the keys, as they have just now re-opened the bridges.

Important thing for me is that the family's house is still there, and intact.

"In other words, 109 mph and then wind reports ceased. I wouldn't be surprised if some debris took out the anemometer."

That was the heart of the eyewall though and it appeared reports stopped after eyewall passage - if they don't find any reports in the 130+mph range I'm going to be very concerned about NHC's numbers!

AT 905 PM...ORLANDO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT GUSTED TO 105 MPH.

That's some pretty signficant winds seeing how the hurricane has been inland for what nearly 5 hours now! There will likely be some signficant damage in and near Orlando...

I have relatives in Sarasota and spoke to them tonight... no big deal, did get gusty and had a few rain bands but nothing to get worried about. They are pretty happy because earlier thay thought they were going to get clobbered big time. They have a boat and they are on a waterway, and their house is only 10ft above the water line... whew!

...oh and I told them to have the vid cam ready just in case. I would LOVE to have somebody, post some vids of what it is like as the eye passes over. Particularly if it is open. If anyone knows of somebody who does... PLEASE have them post it!!!

Back