6/5/05 TALK: Northwest Texas

Congratulations to all who bagged today. I sure wish I would've cancelled my little busness trip to Wakita. I played around til about 2:30pm before deciding to go. I guess I'll never learn to stop blowing off marginal chase days just because I have a prior commitment. Can't really call myself a chaser today.

0025 1 SE WASTELLA NOLAN TX 3250 10064 SWEETWATER LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS AND AMATEUR RADIO OPERATORS REPORTED SEVERAL TOUCHDOWNS OF LAND SPOUT TYPE TORNADOES BETWEEN ROSCOE AND WASTELLA (SJT)

Appears you were correct on that one, Glen.

Sorry I couldn't post on this earlier, but I was actually working the event. We were a little hesitant at first to issue the TOR warning, but we were receiving numerous reports of funnels and several touchdowns across NW Nolan Co. So thats the reasoning behind the warning, although there was a lack of precip return on the radar. Our thinking was that the storm to the west across Scurry Co. prodcued a boundary to the east...and that coupled with very high CAPE values along with locally backed surface winds produced an area favorable for landspouts. Any other thoughts on other possible causes for the landspout fest across that area are welcome. We had to reissue for the same area just after 11pm as more reports started filtering in. Interesting day nonetheless.

Back