6/5/05 TALK: Northwest Texas

Well at this point i think we're all desperate for something and the SPC does have a "shading" in the region, SO i figured, what the hell, start some chat on the subject, though im sure everyone is heading for the upper midwest.

I was thinking of heading down to Frederick today...but the excessive cloud cover is really annoying me. Front is quite obvious today running just north of OKC to FDR and then starts washing a bit further west. Dryline doesn't look that well defined yet either, but it is still early for that. Looks like everything wants to take a low just west of CDS east which should help a bit with lift if our heating doesn't show up. Models seem to want to initiate on the Texas side after 0Z, so I'm still undecided about chasing. Yesterday everything seemed to go early, but we also had glorious sun heating everything up.

Today will probably just be a day for hopefully some good structure photos as these will probably be hailers. With that said, and considering Greg won't be going out today (which means no live FasTrac radar in the car at the same time)...I really don't feel like getting too close to hail cores. :) Eh who knows...I may grab a couple newbies that have joined us a couple times this year and break them in a bit on the old way of doing things. A car, a map, and your eyes. :)

Kinda thinking along the same lines as David...being as the target is relatively close, I am going to watch and see for a bit, maybe heading out around 1-2 PM. 2% days...I love them!

Storm going up just south of Hobart, OK. Unfortunately, both TLX and FDR 88D's are still in clear-air mode. Hopefully that will change soon. Keeping an eye on things here...

New watch is up now.

Cell over Roosevelt is trying to get something developed. Core is down to 45 dbz now.

EDIT: Core up to 55 dbz. Also SVR for Lubbock and Lynn Counties in Texas now. Good cell over Lubbock and just north of Wilson. Few other things also trying to go up out there in the southern panhandle and NW Texas.

Cell south of Hobart is severe-warned now and is beginning to show a meso on higher tilts (storm table also has a meso tag on it).

Our Kiowa Co LP Supercell has just gone tornado warned after having an impressive structure for the last hour or so. Beautiful pictures on KOCO currently.

This from SJT

TORNADO WARNING FOR...
NORTHWESTERN NOLAN COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL TEXAS

* AT 708 PM CDT...LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT REPORTED A TORNADO 3 MILES
WEST OF ROSCOE...MOVING SOUTH AT 5 MPH.

Oookay... I have looked at many different radars and the nearest cell is the tornadic storm moving from Borden into northwestern Mitchell county.

This is going to be an interesting one. There is nary an echo on any radar within about 20 miles of Roscoe. Thoughts?

Brief touchdown with our Mountain Park storm. New severe cell on the back side of it. Other new cells going up around other portions of western Oklahoma.

Originally posted by Morgan Palmer
This from SJT

This is going to be an interesting one. There is nary an echo on any radar within about 20 miles of Roscoe. Thoughts?

That is a bit surprising - despite the report - you have to wonder about that one. I guess if an echo appears soon - I'll think landspout with a rapidly developing cumulonimbus - but it's been a few and there isn't much sign yet. Composite reflectivity shows the hint of a weak echo train in the vicinity. No SWS followup from SJT - so I dunno.

Glen

Originally posted by Glen Romine+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Glen Romine)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Morgan Palmer
This from SJT

That is a bit surprising - despite the report - you have to wonder about that one. I guess if an echo appears soon - I'll think landspout with a rapidly developing cumulonimbus - but it's been a few and there isn't much sign yet. Composite reflectivity shows the hint of a weak echo train in the vicinity. No SWS followup from SJT - so I dunno.

Glen[/b]

0025 1 SE WASTELLA NOLAN TX 3250 10064 SWEETWATER LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS AND AMATEUR RADIO OPERATORS REPORTED SEVERAL TOUCHDOWNS OF LAND SPOUT TYPE TORNADOES BETWEEN ROSCOE AND WASTELLA (SJT)

Appears you were correct on that one, Glen.

Back