6/13/10 FCST: KS/TX/OK/NE/CO

I was surprised to see that Sunday is actually looking pretty good. There is major differences between the NAM and GFS, especially with the surface pattern, but both models show a respectable tornado threat developing in the southern plains. I just posted on my blog, so I'll just copy and paste that here...

Strong instability, good wind shear, low LCL heights and a breakable cap will all come together Sunday over portions of western and central Kanas for a good shot at a couple tornadic supercells. There is still quite a bit of spread between the NAM and GFS, but they are in general agreement with the paramaters involved that will influence tornado potential.

The surface pattern and location of best tornado threat is pretty different between the NAM and GFS. The GFS has a frontal boundary draped across Kansas. Surface winds will increase and back along and south of the front across the southern half of Kansas. As this happens the frontal boundary is forecast to deform in a northeast to southwest fashion, setting up two particular areas where convergence at the surface is maximized. One over southwest Kansas and another closer to central Kansas. Dewpoints in the upper 60’s and lower 70’s will be wrapped into the surface low and draped along the frontal boundary by late afternoon. Temperatures should be in the 80’s along the boundary, keeping LCL heights low enough for a good tornado threat. Strong instability will develop with surface heating during the afternoon, especially in southwest Kanas where any lingering precip or cloud cover will likely clear out first.

Strong 500mb winds for this time of year will cross over the frontal boundary over southwest into central Kansas, providing strong enough deep layer shear for supercells. Shear profiles are somewhat parallel to the boundary, but I still think convective mode will be semi-discrete supercells, especially over southwest Kansas where 700mb temps will be slightly warmer. Strongly backing low level winds will enlarge hodographs in the lowest 3km, creating an environment quite favorable for tornadoes. The forecast sounding for Liberal is pretty impressive, with a solid combination of thermodynamics and shear. Forecast soundings all the way from Liberal to Great Bend show SR winds at all levels where they need to be for a respectable tornado threat. 1km SR winds around 35kts, 5km at 15-20 and 10km from 30-40kts (which should be adequate for classic supercells, especially in southwest Kansas).

The combination of low LCL’s along the frontal boundary and strong low level shear are whats really bringing the tornado potential together. The lowest 3km of hodographs are good enough for the possibility of a strong tornado or two with any dominant storm on Sunday. Below is a map showing the tornado threat should the GFS verify. My target would be in the Meade to Sublette area with the GFS solution.

The NAM paints a different picture at the surface. In fact a much different picture, but regardless of the geographic seperation with the threat areas between the NAM and GFS, the environment storms would be in with each solution is fairly similiar, which instills more confidence in this forecast than you might otherwise think at first glance. Thermodynamics and shear profiles aren’t quite as good with the GFS, but they are still good enough for a respectable tornado threat. The major difference is that the NAM places the risk area for tornadoes down over the Texas panhandle and another secondary area of enhanced low level winds and tornado potential over the northern Kansas area. This surface pattern with the 12Z NAM is quite a bit different than what the NAM showed with last nights 00Z. Last nights run was more in line with the GFS, so that among other things is why I am believing the GFS with the surface pattern on this one. I’ll still quickly go over what the NAM shows even though I am not buting into it with this forecast though.

The frontal boundary is draped in a much sharper incline along a northeast to southwest direction than what the GFS is showing with the boundary. There are two areas where surface winds back along the frontal boundary. One is over north central Kansas, but the NAM is showing precip all along the frontal boundary from south central Kansas northward, so I’m not going to pay much attention to this northern target. The better area for tornadoes appears to be over the Texas panhandle where surface winds also are backed along the front. Strong instability will develop with good insolation along the boundary in the middle of the Texas panhandle. Strong 500mb winds around 50kts will overspread the area through the day, creating CAPE/shear profiles that are very favorable for supercells. LCL heights are not quite as low as with the GFS solution and the shear profiles aren’t quite as impressive either, but still the environment appears favorable for tornadic supercells.

I am pleasantly surprised with this setup. I’ve only watched the last two runs of each model, but despite some significant differences between them, I am fairly confident in this forecast. Pinning down exactly where the greatest tornado potential will occur is very difficult right now though. I’m just confident that it will develop some place over the southern plains. The NAM doesn’t support the potential for strong tornadoes like the GFS does, but there would still be a solid tornado threat. Below is a map showing where the NAM shows the best tornado potential and then another area where I think the best potential will actually end up being on Sunday (based on a compromise of previous runs).
I will update later with additional information as I continue forecasting tonight.

Pretty surprised nobody is talking about this. This is the best setup we've had for a while if the GFS is telling the truth. Even with the NAM there is a pretty solid tornado threat.
The 00Z runs stayed pretty much on track. The NAM keeps the best area farther south over the Texas panhandle. The GFS keeps the threat area over Kansas and shows a more potent setup. I'm not going to get into any details now. I want to wait for the 12Z runs before I spend any time on forecasting, but I fully expect this to be a good chase day.

Yes Mikey I am too. Although the devil is in the details, pretty good things usually happen in the TX panhandle if low 70s dewpts are around (and they will be!) with 40 kts at 500 mb).

A good analog match is June 8, 1995. Similar to this go around that was 2 days before the end of Vortex (1). Let's see if history can repeat itself!

Casey

Pretty surprised nobody is talking about this. This is the best setup we've had for a while if the GFS is telling the truth. Even with the NAM there is a pretty solid tornado threat.
The 00Z runs stayed pretty much on track. The NAM keeps the best area farther south over the Texas panhandle. The GFS keeps the threat area over Kansas and shows a more potent setup. I'm not going to get into any details now. I want to wait for the 12Z runs before I spend any time on forecasting, but I fully expect this to be a good chase day.

The differnece between the models has kept me a little hesitant. Just looked over the NAM and I am starting to feel better about this setup. Like Mike pointed out, the best area looks like the TX panhandle. I'm still fairly new at forecasting, so I won't go into too much detail. But I do like the OK/TX panhandles target. Modest instability, 35-40kts shear, Nice sfc DP (65+) and 850mb DPs (16-18s), a sharpening dryline, and strong 0-1km and 0-3km helicity. All looks good for sypercells and even a tornado threat. Lets hope the NAM verifies, but I'll take anything this late in the season. Good luck to all.

This may be a new one for me cause I am an amateur though I do I have the degree but the lack of any strong focused sfc low, lack of consensus in the models, and no distinct dryline bulge has me a bit concerned. Not to say there wont be any severe storms, there will, just im concerned about storms lining out way too quickly with the orientation of the CF in the region being nearly parallel to the upper flow. HPC/SPC are both going with the NAM which has the CF on a Friona, TX-Beaver, OK-Dodge City, KS line by midday Sunday. I think thats more right on due to convective outflow overnight Saturday that will help to reinforce/shunt the baroclinic zone further south. The GFS isnt picking up on this much and keeping the front well up into W CNTRL KS. Id more prefer the GFS solution b/c that would open up a well defined triple point across SWRN KS.

Since most people on here are pointing to the TX Panhandle, that would lead me to believe most you are siding with the NAM b/c that would be the preferred area based on that model. I would just like to see a little more of a classic dryline bulge in the area to wet my whistle.

EDIT: See my blog page in my sig for full rundown of how things will evolve

Last edited by a moderator:
Since most people on here are pointing to the TX Panhandle, that would lead me to believe most you are siding with the NAM b/c that would be the preferred area based on that model. I would just like to see a little more of a classic dryline bulge in the area to wet my whistle.

Nope Chris, I was looking at the European model, outside of 12-18hrs (RUC) I find this to be the most reliable model. Granted if the boundary sinks too much farther south than I-40 tomorrow which is a possibility giving the amt of pressure rises still occurring upstream over NEB this morning, then the shear will be less. However with 25-30 kts at 700mb I have a hard time believing there will not be some bulging on the dryline tomorrow (although it may be down near Plainview-Lubbock).

Casey

I'm coming to this a little late, but I'm starting to see what you guys are talking about! Looking at the 18Z NAM, I see great potential in KS from about DDC to Norton. CAPEs look respectable (2000 to almost 3000), surface winds are backed, as are those at 850, and mid-level winds are 40-50kts, with a speed max nosing into NW KS. The TX panhandle could be ok too, but LCLs are a little high there - in contrast large areas of W KS, have LCLs below 1000m. Right now SPC has mainly S KS to the NE TX panhandle highlighted, so there are probably negatives I'm missing about areas farther north. Looking forward to the 00z models...

EDIT: Both GFS and NAM have reduced CAPE a tad and moved best surface params a little south, so SW KS to the NE TX panhandle seems about right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chase Target for Sunday, June 13

Chase target:
Lipscomb, TX (extreme northeast corner of the panhandle).

Timing and storm mode:
Storms should develop by 5 PM CDT. Supercells and a tornado or two will be possible during the first few hours following initiation. By early evening, convection will evolve into a large storm complex and track through KS and northern OK.

Discussion:
The forecast is challenging, as location and timing of outflow boundaries are key to Sunday’s setup. Latest model trends seem to be latching on to ongoing convection and are trending towards a more southward boundary location. A favored location for the target is immediately south of the dryline and outflow-enhanced frontal boundary triple point. Here, surface flow should be somewhat backed. Additional storms further north along the front will tend to be increasingly linear given modes of forcing.

Strong instability should exist with MLCAPEs of 2000-2500J/kg and surface-based LIs of -4 to -5C. Deep-layer shear will increase through the early evening hours as upper-low shifts slowly east. Tornado probabilities will remain modest given large dewpoint spreads in excess of 25F by late afternoon. The SPC SREF ensemble indicates a significant tornado index of 1 to 2 at 03Z. Overnight, storms should evolve into a large convective complex which will track east through KS and northern OK as a cold pool becomes established and the LLJ increases to 40 kts.

-Bill Schintler
10:09 PM CDT, 06/12/10

I really like the DDC area from what the 0z NAM was showing. The moisture looked a little better pooled up in that corner than along the dryline in Texas, with moderate instability extending into central Kansas. The trough looks like its ejecting a nice shortwave across Kansas right at 0z and storms might track a little more along that SW/NE orientated boundary for an enhanced tornado threat. I haven't looked in depth or compared other models/previous runs as I'm on my mobile data here in rural Tesxas, so I'll refine that in the morning when I find some wifi.

Back