5/28/06 FCST: NE / SD

My thoughts on today were enough to get me checked into a hotel in Sioux Falls and pull and wait and see approach on the day as my expectations weren't too high to begin with. Much to my surprise, I find this hotel loaded with goodies, so I'll be happy to sit in an air conditioned room with an indoor water park at my disposal while keeping an eye to my west.

Conditions definately warrent me to keep an open eye, although most of the goodies will be well to my west. I find I could've probably made Mitchell, SD with ease, but I couldn't motivate myself to go another hour out of my way when a better (term used loosely) setup awaits me south along this interstate. TDs remain decent in the area and the dry punch in very evident in Central Nebraska with dews in the 40s and 30s with 20s creeping in from Colorado.

The low developing in Nebraska at the moment will help with wind fields to the immediate east, but as mentioned in above posts, is well out of sync with the rest of today's ingredients. A CU field is evident in Western Nebraska on the vis as well as a couple clouds starting to puff up in Northern Nebraska.

If I had been out already, I'd be sitting on I-90 between Murdo and Mitchell, preferrably in the shade with Verne and company! Good luck out there!

Tim Marshall and I are sitting here at the Comfort Inn in Devils Lake, ND. We retargeted farther north due to the incredible cap in place. Nice backed winds here but cu's are being held down by the warm air aloft. We will sit here until sunset then head toward Fargo overnight. Looking at S MN and NW IA tomorrow. TM for SR

Sitting on 1-90 and 281 near Plankington under a pretty blue sky. It makes a fella feel pretty good to find out that Tim Marshall retargeted 200 mi. to the north of my current location. lol ... I'm sitting in a narrow corridor of convergence (that has been building a bit) watching a few Cu to my south over the resevoir playing around. Thinking of going sight seeing down at the dam and hoping these baking South Dakota fields decide they can start an updraft capable of overcoming a thermo cap. (That's called wishful thinking.) I'll probably stick around and follow this convergence around until sunset and then go find a room and wait for tomorrow.

Still hanging out in Winner, SD, outside the Holiday Inn...headed south of town for a better look, but nothing as yet. Met two two other chasers by Dog Ear Buttes - Avi Solomon and Andy Rice.

The latest RUC looks like holding the front back in NE until later this evening, when it seems to move north again.

Saw a few towering Cu to the east for a time, but now looking on sat pics at the Cu over NW NE...the wind's going more easterly down there, so will keep an eye on that area over the next hour or so.

Back