5/24/2005 TALK: High/Central/Southern Plains

Seeing effective deep layer shear up to 45 to 50kts over the E central OK area now. Because of light anvil level winds, cells will probably go HP pretty quickly, but perhaps we can get a spin up or two over the next couple of hours.

Originally posted by Jeff Snyder

EDIT: Supercell in eastcentral OK now tornado warned. Latest 21z mesoanaly showing signfiacnt low-level CAPE and vorticity in the area, in addition to 1200-1400m LCLs. If I was there I'd be happy. Alas, I'll still wait for new convection possibly to it's west.

Yeah, it is just along that boundary (per Mesonet and radar)...if it can converge the sfc vorticity, we might be SOL on the nowcast for this thing, Jeff. :lol:

Looks like the west-of-Kearney cell is fizzling. Another cell is firing to the north of it. The 700mb temps down here are a bit higher than they are up north -- ~9C.

5 reports of tornadoes in Colorado so far, nothing has been reported the last time I looked at the LSR out of Tulsa, a storm chaser reported tennis-ball size hail (2.50 inch).

Reading a Severe Weathe Statement it mentioned:
A TORNADO WARNING CONTINUES UNTIL 515 PM CDT FOR SEQUOYAH
COUNTY

AT 439 PM CDT...WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR AND STORM SPOTTERS WERE
TRACKING A VERY DANGEROUS TORNADO NEAR VIAN. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED 2 MILES
EAST OF VIAN...MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 25 MPH.
Time is MDT, not CDT
0231 PM TORNADO STONEHAM 40.63N 103.65W
05/24/2005 WELD CO TRAINED SPOTTER

0259 PM TORNADO 5 N SNYDER 40.39N 103.58W
05/24/2005 MORGAN CO TRAINED SPOTTER

0307 PM TORNADO 6 WSW STERLING 40.59N 103.32W
05/24/2005 LOGAN CO TRAINED SPOTTER

0335 PM TORNADO 8 W AKRON 40.16N 103.36W
05/24/2005 WASHINGTON CO PUBLIC

0340 PM TORNADO 4 W AKRON 40.16N 103.29W
05/24/2005 WASHINGTON CO PUBLIC
Mike

Just my luck..5 tornado reports ~100 miles away and I have to work. I will be interested to see if the faster storm motion and HP nature of the northeastern CO storms made the tornadoes "chaser-friendly". Let the monster hail, wind and downpours of the MCS begin across eastern CO and eastern OK. I wouldn't be surprised to hear of some significant flooding in northeastern NE as those cells have been training over the same area along that meso-low boundary all afternoon. The latest radar loop shows them now backbuilding. Upper-level flow was just too marginal to get any classic discrete supercells this afternoon, instead congealing the convection together into large MCSs. The only supercell that looked like it could be decent to chase via radar was that northwest of Akron, CO...and even it dove SSE and merged into the MCS, likely making for short-lived tornadoes.

There's a good example of anvil-level / tropopause gravity waves being generated by the storms in eastern OK right now. You can see them nicely emanating from the occassional overshooting tops atop the intense updrafts.

Interesting on the gravity waves, Jeff. Would they be propogating upstream or downstream of the existing convection - and do you think they might be strong enough to trigger new convection elsewhere in the vicinity later on, given the heights and boundaries around?

Can anyone confirm the "very dangerous" tornado in Sequayah, CO OK? I can't find the severe weather statement on CoD's log that was pasted in tis thread, and SPC's tornado reports show zilch for OK. Any chasers get this tornado?

Just saw 2 different views of a funnel on a local station here in Tulsa, Not sure which county it was in. Damage videos didn't show enough to tell if tornado or straight line winds

These two photos near Okmulgee and Henryetta, OK aren't even worth posting, but here they are anyway:

wall1.jpg

scud2.jpg

Back