5/12/04 NOW: OK, KS, CO, NE, MN, WI

Level-II 8-bit KVNX, KICT, and KDDC data online

For those interested in seeing some live high-rez WSR-88D Level-II data with 8-biit color scales, the following URL from the NSSL Warning Decision Support System - II (WDSSII) is currently up and running:

http://www.cimms.ou.edu/~kscharf/w2live/

The storms are very nicely depicted right now, including what appears to now be twin supercells SC KS. Hope folks on the leading tornado producer are carefully watching the storm to the west - seeding the eastern storm.

Greg Stumpf
Norman OK

Just talked with Amos Magliocco. They've seen several tornadoes today, including 2 large tornadoes - one of which did extensive damage in Attica. As we were talking, the storm was in the process of producing another tornado near Danville.

I just got off the phone with Dave Lewison and Chris Kridler who filmed multiple tornadoes in the Attica region of Kansas including one that did some damage. They were also being pelted with random baseball-sized hail. Dave and Chris also managed to pass through the area before roads were blocked (stopping many chasers) and saw additional tornadoes. I think they got some amazing footage and I am glad they are safe. Congratulations for a nice catch. Unfortunately, a town was struck. I hope no one was injured.

Bill Hark

Re: Level-II 8-bit KVNX, KICT, and KDDC data online

Originally posted by Greg Stumpf
For those interested in seeing some live high-rez WSR-88D Level-II data with 8-biit color scales, the following URL from the NSSL Warning Decision Support System - II (WDSSII) is currently up and running:

http://www.cimms.ou.edu/~kscharf/w2live/

Thanks, Greg, for that link....definitely some very interesting stuff. It would be rather interesting to be able to utilize such data in the Warning Decision-Making process in realtime in one of the WFO's able to utilize WDSSII. Being a radar and severe weather nut at heart, I love this stuff.

To keep things on topic...the storms in south central Kansas have definitely been very impressive this evening as they have been in an environment characterized by impressive CAPE values and sufficient shear for supercells. Even as of 10 pm....the RUC and SPC analyses--which seem to be handling things fairly decent given observed mesoscale observations--indicate a favorable juxtoposition of MUCAPE values approaching 4000 J/KG and 0-1 KM shear values upwards of 200 M/S/2 along the boundary these storms have been utilizing. Thus it doesn't surprise me that this storm, as well as others, have been able to produce tornadoes. One would expect storms to become more wind producers during the next few hours....which is supported by the latest ICT radar images.

Re: Level-II 8-bit KVNX, KICT, and KDDC data online

Originally posted by Chauncy Schultz

Thanks, Greg, for that link....definitely some very interesting stuff. It would be rather interesting to be able to utilize such data in the Warning Decision-Making process in realtime in one of the WFO's able to utilize WDSSII.

The WDSSII is currently undergoing proof-of-concept testing at the Wichita NWSFO (second Spring), and the Norman NWSFO. For more info, see:

http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/wrd/swat/news.shtml

Greg Stumpf
Norman, OK

Great link Greg, I also enjoy:

http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/users/hondl/publi...radar/ktlx.html for radar data. It looks like they took down the phased array stuff which was on there a few weeks ago :(

As for the nowcast part, I intercepted a very awesome LP/classic supercell near Gotebo, OK several hours ago. Couldn't make it to KS due to work, but the show in-state was incredible. I'll have pictures up later. This storm featured many interesting splits. One LP split was connected on the flanking line to the main cell... very interesting structure... I will have to go back and review radar to figure out what exactly was going on... it looked like 2LP supercells mating (sort of like some insects do tail-to-tail!)

Aaron

Back