5/12/04 NOW: OK, KS, CO, NE, MN, WI

My partners Bill Turner and Jason Boggs are south of Medicine lodge and are reporting a rotating wall clous and possible tornado. the northern storm has split and both of those cells have tornado warnings also. looms like a string of pearls forming in SC Kansas :shock:

Tornado Warnings in KS

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DODGE CITY KS
656 PM CDT WED MAY 12 2004

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DODGE CITY HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
PRATT COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL KANSAS
NORTHERN BARBER COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL KANSAS

* UNTIL 745 PM CDT

* AT 653 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO 7 MILES SOUTH OF CULLISON...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 20 MPH. ANOTHER STORM CAPABLE OF A TORNADO WAS 5 MILES NORTH OF LAKE CITY...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 20 MPH.

* THE TORNADO IS EXPECTED TO BE NEAR...
6 MILES NORTHWEST OF COATS AROUND 705 PM CDT
CULLISON AROUND 710 PM CDT
PRATT AROUND 725 PM CDT
IUKA AROUND 740 PM CDT

FYI 8) LJK.

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT
705 PM CDT WED MAY 12 2004

...A TORNADO WARNING CONTINUES UNTIL 745 PM CDT FOR NORTHERN BARBER
AND PRATT COUNTIES...

AT 702 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR AND STORM
SPOTTERS WERE TRACKING A TORNADO. THIS TORNADO WAS LOCATED NEAR
COATS MOVING NORTHEAST AT 20 MPH.

OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO SUN
CITY...SAWYER...PRESTON...PRATT...LAKE CITY...IUKA...ISABEL...
CULLISON AND CAIRO.

AT 701 PM, PRATT COUNTY LAW ENFORCEMENT REPORTED A TORNADO 6 MILES
SOUTHWEST OF PRATT.

My partner Bill Turner just called back. At this time he and a number of other chasers (Tim Marshall and others) are filming a cone tornado 10 miles south of Medicine Lodge Kansas looking NE about 2 miles. :shock:

Super Cloners??

Look at the radar out of Dodge City KS:

http://radar.weather.gov/radar/loop/DS.p19...0/si.kddc.shtml

You would almost think these supercells were cloning each other!! :shock: What's even stranger is that one of the cells is actually passing tops between each other. :shock: :shock: First there was one, now two, now four cells on the scope.

Hope you chasers down there are getting some some pics and vids!!! 8)
LJK.

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT
722 PM CDT WED MAY 12 2004

...THE TORNADO WARNING FOR BARBER COUNTY IS REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL
745 PM...

AT 720 PM, A STORM CHASER REPORTED A TORNADO 4 MILES SOUTHWEST OF SHARON
MOVING NORTHEAST AT 20 MPH.

PEOPLE IN SHARON SHOULD TAKE SHELTER NOW!!

Very interesting: Load the SPC mesoscale analysis page, then run a loop of the deep moisture convergence. Watch how the moisture pools and become more centered near the areas with the tornadic storms in southern Kansas. Unfortunately, I can't save it as an animation. It should still look good for the next couple of hours.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/

Bill Hark

The storm in Pratt County has a very pronounced hook with a reflectivity ball on the end - right over the city of Pratt.

I'm nowcasting for Dave Lewison and Chris Kridler, and a few minutes ago, Dave reported that a tornado passed through the residential portion of Attica, KS in Harper County. He sounded quite concerned for the well-being of the residents and said there was considerable damage. As he requested, I passed along the report to the Harper County sheriff's office.

Jason

we are currently just east of Pratt following a developing hook echo on radar. saw a funnel near medicine lodge. we were too far away to tell if it was a tornado. lots of strong rotation just south of pratt last hour.

Local Weather in Lincoln NE

Whoo-HaH!! :blob2: :blob3: :blob4:

Severe Thunderstorm Warning issued for Lancaster County in NE including the city of Lincoln!! I was outside watching the clouds moving around. The storms appears to be high-based. Had a heavy shower drop on me while I was on the south corner watching the clouds. Some lightning to the east of me, still it's a nice shower in Lincoln. At least I did a "storm walk", not a storm chase, he-he-he. 8) LJK.

Update: storm clouds are developing SW of Lincoln NE towards Concordia KS and all are moving NE. Looks like a long stormy in Lincoln !!! :shock: LJK

If that Harper County storm is still producing a tornado, it's only moved about 5 miles in 20 minutes. It's probably dug a hole by now.

Back