4/6/04 NOW: SE Texas

Dan Cook

EF5
A tornado watch is in effect for SE Texas including the Houston area. Numerous tornado sightings have occured:

1125 AM TORNADO 5 N TIVOLI 28.51N 96.88W
04/06/2004 CALHOUN TX TRAINED SPOTTER

TRAINED SPOTTER REPORTED A TORNADO ON THE GROUND 5 MILES
NORTH OF TIVOLI.

discuss:

Is anyone out getting footage of this sh*t? I noticed that this forum was inactive, and there was no forecasting for this event. The radr is quite impressive. HP supercells?

AT 1103 AM CDT A TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTER REPORTED A TORNADO NEAR VANDERBILT.
(http://kamala.cod.edu/offs/KHOU/0404061604.wwus54.html)

AT 1154 AM CDT LAW ENFORCEMENT REPORTED TWO TORNADOES. ONE WAS REPORTED NORTH OF FM 418 EAST OF HIGHWAY 71. ANOTHER WAS REPORTED SOUTH OF FM 418 BETWEEN EL CAMPO AND DANEVANG.
(http://kamala.cod.edu/offs/KHOU/0404061655.wwus54.html)

I looked at things this morning for down there, and chuckled about the apparent tornado threat... I mean, instability isn't very strong (limited to mainly immediate coast) and low-level shear isn't thaaat impressive... It's a good case of enhanced tornado threat INVOF a boundary....

Jeff

Where's the report statement about people reporting a large violent tornado? That quote that Craig used above is just a standard message they use when the reported tornado is significant; I've seen nothing about any violent tornadoes actually being seen.

"Where's the report statement about people reporting a large violent tornado?"

Note the warning says "PREVIOUS SPOTTER REPORTS AND DOPPLER RADAR" -- i.e. it's not being tracked by anyone anymore. And no LSR about it yet even though they've issued the summary already. Hmmm...

We are holed up in a truck stop in Ranger, TX checking out some data and basically seeing what comes of this situation in north TX. Nice day out here, it's warmed to 70/60 here already, a little better than was expected I think. TONS of heavy CU too!

Back in north Texas and SW Oklahoma, some mini-supercells have developed. The FTW office has issued a Tornado Warning for a storm just southeast of Decatur, and spotters have recently reported a brief, weak tornado near Frederick, Oklahoma.

Yep, I had a really bad feeling this would happen once I found out Sunday that my chase partner's truck (which is being fitted with a new motor) wouldn't be ready until late today. I was ready to chase this system Sunday morning, since it looks like the best chance we're gonna have for a while. I hate it when I'm held back by things I can't control.

And the worst part is, this is the kind of set-up that 99% of "chasers" wouldn't touch, since it didn't involve a no-brainer forecast and a dart throw.

Interesting note, the local channels in OKC are completely dropping the ball on this; we've had KWTV on all afternoon and haven't seen so much as a "heavy storm" icon on the screen.

"CONFIRMED F0 TORNADO. 100 YARDS WIDE WITH A 1/2 MILE
TRACK. "

That's a large and destructive tornado? In Texas?

Sorry, this belongs in a new thread, but it's very late and I'm very lazy right now....

I just returned from N TX, and Tuesday played out about as advertised.

Td's were pushing the magic 60, but didn't quite get there. IMO, though, the big issue was sfc winds, or, more accurately, "sfc calm air".

It was very cool to be able to see under the bases of about 6 or 7 "storms" at once (I was mostly INVOF Jacksboro to SPS), and I would have to say the storm that went past SPS put down the nicest looking w/c of the bunch, but most everything lacked SRH and moisture, and they starved. Bases were mostly about 2000 feet AGL. I missed the nader from that "SPS storm", even though I was right there. Oh well...

I got some vid, got some stills....gotta get to bed now.

Bob

P.S. I also got some vid of the storm down near Marathon TX Monday....got hailed on pretty good, too.

4/6/04 REPORT EXTREME NORTH TEXAS

There wasnt an area to post for chasing in North Texas on 4/6/04 so i just decided to post here. Pics are up along with a brief chase report of the strong to severe storms over extreme Northern parts of Western North Texas & Southern Southwest Oklahoma.
Chase report & pics are at http://www.texhomastormchasers.com/page6.html
You will likely need to scroll down & or accross the page to see the pics & reports. May add some vidcaps in the next few days.

Back