4/21/05 TALK: KS/MO

burbs

It should miss the big northern suburbs (gladstone, liberty) but there are a lot of small towns in that area.

Local TV reporting "possible" tornado sighting near Beverly, Missouri.

Anyone here know how far north the burbs of Kansas City extend? If this thing takes a right turn, it's gonna be a close shave. Storm looks wonderful on radar.

Liberty is about the end of metro KC to the North.

JH

local tV

Local TV speculating that the big storm will merge with the small-but-severe cell in Johnson County and become "the real deal."

It has a history of translating south of east, and it looks to my eyeballs that it's trying to do it again. That will put northern parts of Platte City (a northern suburb of KC) near the focus pretty soon. FWIW.

It has a history of translating south of east, and it looks to my eyeballs that it's trying to do it again. That will put northern parts of Platte City (a northern suburb of KC) near the focus pretty soon. FWIW.

Friend of mine in Leavenworth just called and siad there's a funnel on the ground just S. of Westin that was visible from the bridge and Leavenworht got hammered with nickel to golfball hail.

JH

tv

Local TV backing off tornado report a bit, saying there is definitely a rotating wall cloud but only one spotter report of a tornado.

good/bad

The bad news: storm is definitely going to hit the northern KC suburbs.

The good news: it does seem to be weakening just a little bit over the last 5 minutes. Could be cycling.

Tornado sirens blowing in downtown KC.

KCTV Channel 5 in KC's tower cam at Kansas City International showed a nice RFB at 555pm today...tornadic supercell just north of the airport now.
6a2b05c9d2eff17e726fc2695551b60b.jpg

It looks like the storms down here in SE Kansas are really going now. Cherokee county is Tornado warned for one storm and Neosho and Crawford counties are warned for another storm that has had reports of a large tornado on the ground (it is being reported on TV as being a mile wide). The rotation has weakened in the last few minutes though as another storm is merging with the tornadic one from the south.

Blake Allen

EDIT: heh Ryan, looks like you beat me to this post... I wasn't planning to chase today, but these storms are just too close...

Actually this is interesting - the KC cells have now all manged to cross the warm front and now seem to becoming all outflow. The outflow boundary is now surging south and is now crossing the true cold front which is running North South. At the point of intersection I have seen supercells go crazy and go on to produce many tornadoes :eek:

Back