4/16/04 NOW: NE/IA

Interesting that there is a 22 degree dewpoint spread between Sioux City and Omaha along the Missouri river now. Could be helping to fire the cells in western Iowa and eastern Nebraska.

Here's a very nice image I saved from OAX just a few minutes ago showing the storms along with two outflow boundaries that are forming a triple point of sorts. Notice where the storms are in relation to those features.

http://img44.photobucket.com/albums/v135/G.../CoolWX/OAX.gif

Pretty cool huh? I love seeing interesting things such as this! It just proves that often you will see very cool things, even on days when the tornado threat is minimal. Or at least that's true from a cyberchasing point of view.

-George

A timelapse shows neither of those are outflow boundaries, noticable because they aren't moving away from the storms!

The N/S line appears to be some sort of dry punch, with the ne/sw line being the front responsible for the storm development.

- Rob

Good eye Rob! I never bothered running a loop and just assumed those were OFB's. But either way, it's not everyday you see something cool like that, so I am glad I saved the image.

-George

Bow echo starting to go over central Iowa, 60 mph winds being reported by schoolnet stations, it seems to be taking the front farther south all the time, maybe that will be good news for us in east central iowa tomarrow.

Second the Motion for Bob!!

Hey Bob,

Thanks for correcting us on our Doppler Radar interpretations on what we thought were outflow boundaries. You said one was a dry punch and the other one was a frontal boundary. I did think it was a little strange for a outflow boundary to trail a storm system like a boat wake in the water.

I was outside on my swing with my wife earlier this evening in Lincoln NE and I mentioned to her the fact that the outflow/front will be here very shortly. I said there will be a wind shift and it will feel "cooler". A few minutes later, my predictive words came true. The winds went from calm to a gentle breeze out of the northwest. Not bad for an armchair weather forecaster, huh?

The fact that the front is sagging south this evening will be setting the stage for more severe weather tomorrow both in IA and in NE as well.

Get a night's rest tonight, storm chasers. You will have a big day tomorrow. Go get 'em!! 8) LJK.

Doppler Radar images

Just looked at the bow echo going past Des Moines, IA this evening. I can see a beautiful outflow boundary setting up around the front side of the bow echo.

Good night storm chasers. Will be a busy day tomorrow!! 8) LJK.

Re: Second the Motion for Bob!!

Originally posted by Larry J. Kosch
I was outside on my swing with my wife earlier this evening in Lincoln NE and I mentioned to her the fact that the outflow/front will be here very shortly. I said there will be a wind shift and it will feel \"cooler\". A few minutes later, my predictive words came true.

LOL! I said the same thing earlier to my girlfriend and she was impressed lol. Except this was a gust front. The winds went from southerly at around 15mph, to 45mph from the west. Unfortunately the complex rappidly weakened as it approached our area. Still cool to watch though... 8)

Back