3/11/06 NOW: Upper Midwest to TX/LA

New convection in IL and MO....
Forming along a line from 40 miles south of Quincy to 20 miles northeast of Quincy. Just some light rain at this time.

These storms are forming in an area with some of the best LFC values of the Moderate risk area, as well as some higher 0-1km SR Helicity values.

Currently sitting at the Best Western in McAlester, OK awaiting the arrival of Darin Brunin, Dick McGowan, and Mike Deason (sorry for spelling errors). Just finished screaming up the Turnpike and am checking things out here in town. Will probably sit and wait it out here as the storms to the north are well out of our reach.

Now looking NW from my back yard. Cumulus are starting to get very fat, and damn near towering on the western horizon. Growth has increased quite a bit in the last 15 minutes. I believe I'm sitting very near the initiation area.

Originally posted by Tony Laubach
Currently sitting at the Best Western in McAlester, OK awaiting the arrival of Darin Brunin, Dick McGowan, and Mike Deason (sorry for spelling errors). Just finished screaming up the Turnpike and am checking things out here in town. Will probably sit and wait it out here as the storms to the north are well out of our reach.

Tony looks like a very small radar echo just beginning to the east north east of McAllester right on the county line. Might be a good time to catch it.

That one could develop and head toward my sister who lives in Winslow, AR.

Originally posted by Alex Lamers
First Tornado Warning of the day from SGF. Barry County in Missouri. Pulling up their radar right now...will edit with my thoughts...

Looks like a nice supercell...unsure of the trends or anything but not too sure its setting down a tornado right now. TOR issued way out ahead of it so maybe they're expecting something to develop.

Don't even know if theres anyone chasing out that way...

I've been watching that big fat cell. I was wondering when it would go.

Dryline clearly evident just west of you on satalite Tony, Small cell NW of Macintosh county struggling at the moment. Many storm speeds in NE OK, and SW MO are moving at at least 50 mph...Some action possibly near Eufala OK, but not sure if that is radar clutter...

Looks like that cell headed toward Bentonville, AR (north of Fayetteville) is unfriendly. I look for it to intensify and go tornadic soon.

Geez if the storms in central Missouri keep forming like this, i'd say it might all just turn into a big mass of crud and not organize into nice cells like we'd want....

There are some discrete cells forming between I 44 and I 40 and they are in the infantile stage, could be a good bet for you all in the S. end of the dryline...though storm vectors are 50Kt..

Originally posted by Bill Tabor
Looks like that cell headed toward Bentonville, AR (north of Fayetteville) is unfriendly. I look for it to intensify and go tornadic soon.

On the other hand SPC Mesoanalysis is still showing some cinh as it moves in that direction. Best readings seem to be in eastern OK. This may hold this cell back some for awhile.

I'm liking our area here; good values along the dryline which is moving this way. Storms on the south end of this may remain better discrete and seem to be closer to higher values of CAPE. Also, various severe weather indicies indicate good value bulls-eyes around our area. Will sit and monitor.

Just talked to Mickey Ptak...he's currently moving north from Siloam Springs, AR on AR59 to Neosho, MO to try and intercept the new cells coming up out of NE Oklahoma. He reports hazy conditions at his location. He was on the Fayetteville storm when it was in OK but couldn't keep up with it, so he's moved to plan B.

Now stationed in Sublette, IL just south of Rochelle, IL. Watching supercell storms to the SW. Weak rotation in one storm. Things are picking up nice with the clear out of the cloud deck ahead of the storms.

Very light echoes starting to show on radar along the dryline from Northern Oklahoma southwestward to west of our location in McAlester. Watching the clouds and will probably be moving in the next 30 minutes.

Back