2024-09-21 EVENT: TX/OK/KS

gdlewen

EF2
This is a more-or-less "Weather in the News" post, but since it covers an event in the past 24 hours...it could go here.

My wife follows a guy who has a Facebook Page titled "Weather Watch Oklahoma", and she told me how he described a mesoscale cold front associated with Saturday's afternoon convection in the Panhandles. I checked it out and it was pretty dramatic:

20240921_21Z_MCF.jpg1727023865416.png
Contours of air temperature (˚F) (filled) and streamlines analyzed using 21Z METAR data for 9/21/2024. MetPy routines were used for much of this analysis.At 21Z the synoptic cold front was analyzed by WPC as draped from SW KS to NE KS.

"A vague disclaimer is nobody's friend": the streamlines depicted here are actually streamlines of the specific humidity current, which I find are often helpful in delineating outflow boundaries.

Note: Barnes or Cressman smoothing interpolators are not used for this analysis--certainly not if it can be helped. For one thing, I have trouble getting those methods to work, and often want to reanalyze the data by hand after using them. For another thing: philosophically, I have trouble getting past the violation of causality implied by using downstream data to "smooth" upstream data. Therefore, the smoothing interpolators I use here attempt to fit a surface to the data (this is where the "smoothing" takes place), and then interpolates that surface to a grid. For the streamlines this pays a definite dividend: for example, convergence lines are tightened up appreciably. For the temperature contours? Not so much.

Back